SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-02-2006, 07:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Line-In Audio Issue. Help!

Hi guys, I just installed SageTV and am having some audio issues. The sound echos.

I have an Hauppauge WinTV GO PCI and an Audigy 2 ZS. The sound output from the tuner is connected to the Line-In of the sound card via an external cable.

What appears to be happening is: the sound from the tuner is captured from Line-In, and immediately played back. Then after a short time, the same sound is played back again through Wave Out (this time in sync with the video). If I mute "Wave" in Volume Control in the system tray then the echo disappears, but the sound remaining is the real time input from the tuner, which of course does not match up with the SageTV video playback (i.e. doesn't stop when the TV playback pauses). If I mute "Line-In", both sounds disappear altogether.

I have played with all the settings in Detailed Setup menu with no avail. Does anyone know how I can fix this issue?
Old 09-02-2006, 07:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Make sure in playback on your soundcard you have linein muted. Then under recording you have line in selected.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

I followed your basic idea and it worked. Thanks!

I had to open up Window's own sound control panel instead of Creative's sound panel. Then I had to choose the Recording controls, check Advanced Options, then open up advanced options under "Analog Mix" and check "Record without Monitoring".
Old 11-23-2006, 03:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer
Make sure in playback on your soundcard you have linein muted. Then under recording you have line in selected.

I have to do it this was for me.. but I guess the only way to turn down the sound is to just turn my speakers down? I think touching the level will effect the recorded sound right?
Old 11-23-2006, 08:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Turning down the sound should have no effect on your recording unless you turn down the sound on the recording line input. Using the regular up and down volume should have no effect what so ever.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Turning down the sound should have no effect on your recording unless you turn down the sound on the recording line input. Using the regular up and down volume should have no effect what so ever.

Turning down the volume on the live tv has no effect.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:07 AM
SageTVaholic

It has no effect.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:21 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
It has no effect.

pretty useless to me if you ask me.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:39 AM
SageTVaholic

You misunderstood me. The LIVETV volume will have no effect on what you are recording if the recorded volume is too low or too high you can adjust it on the LInein Recording options. The live tv volume is only for playback not recording.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
You misunderstood me. The LIVETV volume will have no effect on what you are recording if the recorded volume is too low or too high you can adjust it on the LInein Recording options. The live tv volume is only for playback not recording.

ahh ok.. Well still annoying.. well at least my speaker set has a remote I can use.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruWRX
ahh ok.. Well still annoying.. well at least my speaker set has a remote I can use.
I believe what nplayer is saying is that turning down the playback volume is going to reduce how loud the playback is not alter how loud the audio is actually captured. If you need to adjust the volume of the actual capture you'd lower the line-in, but you would not use the line-in as a regular volume control because it will screw up the sound on your captures if you're constantly raising and lowering it.

You're looking at two seperate issues. One is how loud the audio is recorded in the actual capture and the other is how loud you're playing it back.

If you're using a hardware capture card you don't need to run it through the sound card at all.

Last edited by blade; 11-23-2006 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
I believe what nplayer is saying is that turning down the playback volume is going to reduce how loud the playback is not alter how loud the audio is actually captured. If you need to adjust the volume of the actual capture you'd lower the line-in, but you would not use the line-in as a regular volume control because it will screw up the sound on your captures if you're constantly raising and lowering it.

You're looking at two seperate issues. One is how loud the audio is recorded in the actual capture and the other is how loud you're playing it back.

If you're using a hardware capture card you don't need to run it through the sound card at all.

well speaking of this (have not checked the recored file yet) but when watching a live show when being recorded the sound of the audio shot up and got very loud and a bunch of static.. Think of it with a Mic with so much gain that the voices spoken have hisses to them.

As for Hardware encoded cards I noticed this not needing to use a cable to go into the sound card..

It seems most here have never seen a software encoding card because most did not know what I was talking about when I said I had a sound cable going from the TV tuner's sound out to my Sound card's Line in.

I'm sure all will be fine when I get a better card, I was not going to drop $86 on a Tuner card and to find out I really did not like the concept of watching tv on my pc.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

yeah the audio goes nuts and starts going in like some overdrive and it is shown in the recorded file.