SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-23-2006, 06:24 AM
Sage User

Question using SageTV with DirecTv

I currently have DirecTv satelite. I have been reviewing the SageTV website, but I am still confused about what I need in order to view my DirecTv cable channels on my PC. I have some specific questions?

(1) Which is best for DirecTv users, the WinTV-PVR-150 or the WinTV-PVR-250?

(2) Do I plug the WinTV-PVR directly into the cable jack in the wall, or do I need to purchase a cable box for my PC?

(3) If I need to purchase an cable box, which ones will work with DirecTv and SageTV together?

(4) Is there any other equipment that I will need in order for my scenario to work?

Please help.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:54 AM
Sage Icon

Ok-lots of questions.

1. The PVR 150 works well

2. Well--do you or have you ever had directv before? You need to have a seperate directv receiver that enables you to watch directv channels. It is not cable. So you would plug the PVR-150 into a directv receiver. The directv receiver would then get plugged into the 'cable' jack

3. There are many different version of directv receivers. Some work with serial connection so sage can control the chanel changes. D10-100 is one of those. If you get one that doesn't allow serial changes the PVR-150 retail comes with an IR blaster that you place in front of the receiver so it changes the channels for you--but it is much slower than serial connection

4. Yes--if you are going to be using more than one reciever (dual tuners--want to watch/record more than one channel at a time) you will need a USB-UIRT as a Blaster/receiver to change the channels depending on which PVR cards you buy.

That's about it--i'm sure others will jump in and clarrify a little bit more too.
Good luck
JUC
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC
Old 08-23-2006, 07:19 AM
Sage User

I have had two DirecTv cable boxes for each of my TVs.

If I go with the serial option, would I need to purchase something other than the PVR-150, since it doesn't have a serial port?

Also, since I'll be watching direcTv on my PC, I would like the ability to have more than just the "TV" window open at once. I will want to also be able to work in other windows while watching TV on the PC. Does SageTV software provide this ability? Or do you have to watch TV in fullscreen mode?
Old 08-23-2006, 07:23 AM
Sage Icon

The serial option isn't related to the PVR-150. It is just a way for sage to tell the receiver to change the channel. So the connection goes from your PC serial port to the actual receiver. But your directv receiver has to support the serial connection--usually by the low speed data port.
Now--do you want to record/watch more than 1 channel at a time? If so you would need 2 PVR cards.
Sagetv does have a 'windowed' mode so you can do work as well.
JUC
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Old 08-23-2006, 07:26 AM
SageTVaholic

The serial port is needed on your PC. The PC & Sage can control changing the channel through the serial port. The PVR150 will get the video and audio from your DirectTV box either through the s-Video and audio ports on the PVR150 or through the cable connection. If you can't do the serial connection the PVR150 can have a infrared receiver and blaster that would point at your DirectTV box and change the channels just like you do with a remote-with infrared.

Sage does have a windowed mode.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:29 AM
Sage User

I'm just looking for the ability to watch one channel at a time. I will not be recording from the PC.

I wasn't aware of SageTV until recently, so had I purchased a LifeView Satelite tuner for my PC, which I discovered later does not work with DirecTv, only some type of free satelite scenario. So I'm trying to make the right buying decisions this time around.

Also, I'm not looking for a remote option. I wouldn't mind just changing the channels by using the software and my computer mouse, if that's possible. Does this mean that all I'll need is the PVR-150 and a D10-100?
Old 08-23-2006, 09:07 AM
Sage Icon

That should be enough to get you going. You would connect coaxial jack in the wall to the D10. Then connect the D10 to the PVR-150 card by RCA audio/video and or composite/s-video. Then the IR blaster connects from the PVR-150 and you place the blaster in front of the D10. That should get you going.

One thing to note--with sage-you are always recording! That is how you can rewind and pause. SO you will need to have some available disk space to account for this.
JUC

Old 08-23-2006, 11:09 AM
Sage User

DirecTv is currently shipping the D11, according to the sales rep that I just spoke with. Will the D11 work as well?
Old 08-23-2006, 11:38 AM
SageTVaholic

I don't want to chase away potential customers, but if have no interest in recording, pausing, rewinding, etc. then you don't need SageTV or a PVR card. Just get a plain old WinTV (non-PVR) card and use the software that comes with it to watch live, unpausable TV on your PC.

For changing channels in that scenario you have a couple of choices. You can look for some standalone freeware DirecTV serial control app, or you can just point the remote at your DirecTV box and change channels the old-fashioned way. And by the way, if you don't have a serial port on your PC, a USB-to-serial adapter should do the job.

Don't get me wrong. SageTV is a great product for recording and timeshifting TV programs on your PC, and once you try it you'll probably never go back to the old way of watching TV. But if that's not the kind of product you're looking for -- if you just want to watch in real time, with no recording or timeshifting capability -- then there are simpler and cheaper solutions available.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:51 AM
Sage Icon

Talking

I actually got started that way. Wanted to watch TV in a window while I worked/chatted/surfed and such; occasionally I'd record a movie. Saves space in the room when the PC monitor can double as the TV. Now a few years later I'm immersed in the PVR scene and wonder why I didn't go this way sooner.

Edit: It's kind of a Geek thing too

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:55 AM
Sage User

After reviewing everyone's comments, it looks like the WinTV-NOVA-S-Plus is the one for me. One of the system requirements is a "satellite antenna with Universal LNB." Can anyone confirm whether this includes DirecTv set boxes? Or is this only for freeview satellite programming?
Old 08-24-2006, 05:26 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfaulk
After reviewing everyone's comments, it looks like the WinTV-NOVA-S-Plus is the one for me. One of the system requirements is a "satellite antenna with Universal LNB." Can anyone confirm whether this includes DirecTv set boxes? Or is this only for freeview satellite programming?
As far as I know, unless the Nova will accept a P4 access card you won't get anything off of DTV. It's a pay only service. It's probably designed to view in-the-clear C band (old, Big Ugly Dish) broadcasts. jusy my guestimate.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:19 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfaulk
If you haven't already bought the SageTV software you may want to just order the "SageTV Media Center In-a-Box" bundle from the SageTV store. Comes with the Software, the TV Tuner and the IR blaster to change channels on a DTV receiver. Since at this point you don't really plan on using it for your main tv watching on actual TV's it may not be worth it to bother with serial yet. This bundle and a D11 should work fine.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

Couple questions to piggyback this thread...

1) Can Sage control a DirectTV box w/ a USB -> RS232 cable?

2) The card I have - DVICO FusionHDTV5 RT Lite only takes the coax cable in, but the DirecTV box only offers DVI, Composite, S-Video etc...how the heck am I supposed to connect it? I temporarily have S-video going into a PVR-500 which works, but I would like to get full HD.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 09-05-2006, 10:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFGrayMatter
2) The card I have - DVICO FusionHDTV5 RT Lite only takes the coax cable in, but the DirecTV box only offers DVI, Composite, S-Video etc...how the heck am I supposed to connect it? I temporarily have S-video going into a PVR-500 which works, but I would like to get full HD.
You're not supposed to be able to connect to the Fusion card and you're not going to be able to capture full HD with a STB and capture card.

To get HD from a DirecTV box I think you need the R5000.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:42 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUC
But your directv receiver has to support the serial connection--usually by the low speed data port.
Now--do you want to record/watch more than 1 channel at a time? If so you would need 2 PVR cards.
Sagetv does have a 'windowed' mode so you can do work as well.
JUC
Is there a special cable needed to from Serial to Low Speed data port... my DirectTV box has a low speed data input that resembles a phone jack or RS32connector?
Old 09-06-2006, 03:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

Yeah, its probably RJ11. You just need to crimp a RJ11 end on one end, DB9 on the other. Someone has posted a graphic of the wiring diagram, should be pretty easy to find with a search.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:12 AM
Sage Fanatic

It is the same size as a telephone handset cord. What I did was go to the local dollar store, buy a handset cable, cut 1 end off, crimp on an RJ45 connector and then use an RJ45 to DB9 connector - works perfectly. The other option is that you could just buy one online. http://www.dtvcontrol.com/page.aspx?content=cable