SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-22-2006, 10:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

No audio from #2 capture card

Hi,
I started using sage way back at sage 2.1. It worked well for awhile but started to have serious problems after a few months. I for awhile until i switched to MCE. MCE still had some problems until i replaced the HD in the system. This solved all my problems but i was now working with MCE and missed my Sage. I had zero problems with MCE so i figured my problems where solved. So I recently switched back. I was happy for about a week until problems started to surface again. There are occasional wierd random hangups that just now happened to my girlfriend but these don't really bother me because it is rare. anyways, that is my background

The main problem i am having is the same as problem i had a long while ago on a completely different system. After using sage for a few days the audio on recordings from the 2nd analog tuner is missing. Reloading the drivers solves this problem for awhile. I'm using the good image drivers recomended on this site, the current drivers crash my server. These drivers worked flawlessly in MCE. I had this same problem with my HTPC before while using sage and i cannot remember if I fixed it or not. I just remember it was a pain. The weird thing is this is a completely different system as before except for the hauppauge 150 cards.

My system:
Server
athlon 1Ghz
2 pvr 150 hauppauge cards
Fusion 5 lite HD tuner
PCI gigabit ethernet
TNT2 video card
soundblaster 128
3 200GB 64K harddrives for storage on highpoint controller on motherboard
1 40GB os drive with windows 2000
7xx MB ram

Client: (Used to be my main system till i put everything on the server)
Sempron 2600+
MSI nforce3 board
radeon 9600xt passive
512 MB ram
1 250GB drive with 20GB windows MCE (disabled) and 220GB 64K network storage
spdif out
nvidia decoders

It seems like sage is not loading the audio portion of the drivers properly when it starts a recording. It seems to happen after a few days and it may be intermittent but i can't tell. If i initiate two recordings the first tuner works flawlessly but the second has no audio. Today it did something wierd when i was trying to diagnose the problem. The audio on #2 tuner was messed up on live tv so i stopped the recording and initiated it again and there was no audio. I reloaded the drivers and everything was fixed. In a few days the audio will be gone again. I tried reloading the drivers one at a time, clearing the drivers and starting fresh, and the new drivers that froze my server. This worked fine in MCE with the same drivers so i don't think it is hardware or driver related . It could be related to windows 2000 or something wierd with sage. What should i try next?
Old 08-23-2006, 09:01 AM
Sage Advanced User

I used to have lots of intermittant audio problems with my PVR 150. I tried many, many different drivers that were out there but most made the problem even worse. I was almost ready to give up when I stumbled across a post on some obscure forum somewhere. The solution in this post was to install a cable amplifier. I thought this was along shot but I went to BestBuy and picked up a $30 cable amplifier/splitter and since installing it I've never had any more dropped audio issues with my SageTV system.

If your cable has been split a few times the signal your PVR 150 is getting may not be string enough for its sensitive electronics.

At $30 this is a pretty cheap solution that may be worth trying. If it doesn't work you can always return the amplifier and get your money back anyway.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

yeah, actually, i had one on the old system with MCE so this might have something to do with it. I'll put that back in and see if it helps.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

Adding a amp did not help. It just made the picture fuzzy at low gain and wavy at high gain. No change in the audio. However, restarting the comptuer temporaraly fixed the audio problem.