SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-21-2006, 06:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Exclamation What's the trick to get SageTV to accept COM port 5 for serial DirecTV tuning?

I can get as far as selecting "other" and typing in "5" as the port #. After that, it just sits at the Tuning plugin menu selection.

If I select 1-4, it will progress to the next menu which is selecting the program guide.

Am I supposed to select a COM port which is 4 or less, then somehow edit a configuration file to manually change the com port #? If so, I would like to know where to change it.

Thanks,
Michael

***RIP SageTV***
Old 08-21-2006, 07:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Are the other 4 com ports actually there and in use? If not I would go into the bios and diable them and remove in Device Manager the com port showing up as port 5 and the rest. Reboot and it should detect it again as a lower com number.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Not a possibilty, it's a virtual com port from a serial to usb converter. This port is a vaild WinXP serial port as far as other Windows apps go. No way to change the port #. But, thanks anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
Are the other 4 com ports actually there and in use? If not I would go into the bios and diable them and remove in Device Manager the com port showing up as port 5 and the rest. Reboot and it should detect it again as a lower com number.

Gerry

***RIP SageTV***
Old 08-21-2006, 08:21 PM
Administrator

It should continue to the next screen when you enter 5 as the COM port number. I just tried it & it went forward, even though I don't even have a Com port #5.

Are you using the latest default STV, or some other customization?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:23 PM
Sage Icon

I use a Belkin adapter on the Charter box at the apt. In Device Manager properties for the adapter I have the option to 'force' it to almost any COM# I want. Sometimes it gives an error that the port is in use (even when it isn't), but unless you have toys using up 2-4 you should be able to pick a lower #.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Andy, you were right. It was because I was using a 4.x STV. I just loaded the latest STV, and it worked correctly.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
It should continue to the next screen when you enter 5 as the COM port number. I just tried it & it went forward, even though I don't even have a Com port #5.

Are you using the latest default STV, or some other customization?

- Andy

***RIP SageTV***
Old 08-21-2006, 08:38 PM
Administrator

I thought that sounded like a bug I fixed quite a while back.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.