SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-19-2006, 08:35 AM
Sage User

Larger replacement hard drive

I have looked through the posts and the FAQ http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...2636#post52636 in an attempt to find guidance in installing a larger replacement hard drive. I am running Sage 5x and have 3 hard drives as video storage. One drive has a "myvideo" folder, the 2nd a "myvideo1" and the 3rd a "myvideo2" directory. The 2nd drive (drive F) is a 250GB unit and I wish to pop in a 400GB to give me more space.

I'm confused with the sure-fire way of doing this and retaining the metafile data with the show information so it's not lost in the upgrade.

Can I simply clone the existing drive F to the new drive (Sage totally OFF) and swap it out and all will be OK?

Or do I need to copy the files to the new drive (would be H) (Sage totally OFF), leave the old drive F (with renamed .bak files) & the new drive in the system, power it up with Sage ON, let Sage "see" the new drive, then power it off, remove the old drive, rename the new drive so it becomes the replacement?

While the FAQ touches on possible methods, some seem rather arcane and it would be great to have a utility or a procedure clearly mapped out on what to do. Pardon my failure to find the obvious answer if it's there. I'd like to reduce the WifeFrustrationFactor as much as possible.

Last edited by zebra14; 08-19-2006 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra14
Can I simply clone the existing drive F to the new drive (Sage totally OFF) and swap it out and all will be OK?
That should be fine, as long as the new drive has the same path as the old one when you're done, Sage won't know the difference.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:03 AM
Sage User

Awesome. I'll give it a whirl. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:05 AM
SageTVaholic

Might be good to save a copy of your wiz.bin just in case something does go wrong
Old 08-19-2006, 09:15 AM
Sage User

Good idea - I actually use Cobian backup to once a day copy the entire sage directory from the program files area to backup directories on each video storage drive, just in case.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:19 PM
Sage User

Copying/cloning all the files from one drive to the other, then removing the smaller drive and replacing it with the larger one worked fine. Thanks for your help!
Old 08-19-2006, 06:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Cool, glad it worked!