SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:18 PM
Sage Icon

No Video Capture Devices Found

Uggg - all hell broke loose on my file server yesterday and I've spent tons of hours trying to fix problems. Now the latest is I have only one video tuner card installed in my file server and it works fine using the TV software supplied with the card. But, when I go into Setup Video Sources in Sage it says there are no capture devices. I have also checked in my device drivers and it recognizes the card just fine there as well. I've tried everything I can think of.

This whole thing started with a nasty "machine_check_exception" error on my server. After replacing the motherboard, RAM, CPU, power supply and just about the entire computer I've tried reverting to a backup a month ago and still no good. I think (but I'm not positive that my nvidia dualtv capture card went bad).

Any ideas as to why it would work fine with the TV software on my AverMedia card but not in Sage?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-17-2006, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Check sage.properties to see if any tuners are listed on the mmc/ignore_encoders property line. If so, remove that line. If a legitimate tuner is included on that line, let tech support know so they can fix that in the future.

Alternatively, you may want to make a backup copy of your properties file somewhere else & then delete the original & its autobackup copy. You will have to reconfigure everything, but you would start fresh in terms of tuner setup.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:36 PM
Sage Icon

Hello - I have a backup of the properties files but I did not quite understand how to "start fresh" in terms of tuner setup. I understand to delete the autobackup but I don't understand what to remove out of the backup of the properties file so that I start fresh with tuners. There are several tuners listed in the backup file that are no longer in the computer at this time.

I saw at the top of the properties file there is an RPC line and I'm not sure if that is the only line I need to delete even though the tuner name appears many times in the properties file.

EDITED: I even tried completely deleting and removing all properties files (so as to start totally fresh) and still it says there are no capture devices on the system. I can't understand why...

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-17-2006, 10:36 PM
Administrator

I just meant to remove the one line I mentioned for the mmc/ignore_encoders property, if any of your tuners were listed there.

The other option was to start completely fresh by deleting the properties files, which you already did.

The only other thing I can think of is to make sure there is no other software using your tuners when you start SageTV. It can't use tuners that are already in use by some other program. This would include the MCE services if you are using Windows MCE.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:19 PM
Sage Icon

Interesting - I rebooted the computer and now in the device drivers it has a problem loading the software for the CD ROM. It just seems to be one thing after another. I'm at the point where I'm going to toss the mobo and AMD processor and go out and get an intel instead. I'm at a loss as to what else to do. I even pulled all the tuner cards out and it still does not recognize my CD ROM anymore.

EDITED: but I can boot from the CD ROM so I know it is not a cable or CD ROM problem.
Mike
Old 08-20-2006, 02:47 AM
Sage Icon

Spent 5 days and finally found the machine_check_exception blue screen problem. Every time I would reboot the server either at login or within a few minutes I would get a blue screen - machine check exception error. I would boot up in safe mode and in device drivers all the drivers appeared to randomly have conflicts. Sometimes I could not even see the CD-ROM drive. I tried going to an old backup a month back and that did not work either. I looked up machine_check_exception and asked around and most said it was either a CPU or MOBO problem. I tried replacing both along with memory and power supply and still had problems. Finally - it turned out my nvidia DualTV tuner card which I like so much seems to have gone bad on me. I never though a pci card like this could cause so many wierd problems.

Mike
Old 01-23-2007, 09:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yes, this is an old thread. However, I just had the same problem and wanted to chime in on the solution that worked for me in case someone else could benefit...

I tried everything already mentioned in this thread but had no luck.

So, I went into Device Manager and uninstalled my TV Tuner Card, allowed the computer to reboot, and then allowed the system to automaticlly re-install the driver for the card itself.

Afterward, I stopped the Sage Service from running, deleted the sage.properties and sage.properties.autobackup files (while the client wasn't running) and then started Sage again. It loaded the service and then immediatly went into the configuration setup. It found the TV card then. After re-configuring everything, all was back to normal.