SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 08-14-2006, 04:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

show analyzer / comskip on clients

Probably a dumb question, but I can't seem to find a solution to it.

I have show analyzer running on my server and the comskip plugin. Works fine on the server. Trouble is, I want it to skip the same video if played on my client.

I realize the text files are local on the server, but is there a way to get the client with the comskip mod to read the file on the server?

Possibly setting up windows shares to the video directories?

Special thanks to tmiranda for making my 24h time format dream a reality. See here for more details.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:23 PM
SageTVaholic

The clients need to be able to access the recording directories at the exact same path as the server does. The comskip files are read directly by the client, and the only way it knows how to find them is the path in Sage, and that's from the server's perspective.

You'll either need to mount the recording directories on your clients, (at the same path as the server), or switch to UNC paths.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:52 PM
Sage Icon

so, if I read correctly...

I have for example a local path on the server d:\pvr where sage stores recordings. I would need to share the entire D drive on the server. On a client machine using M$ paths I would need to map that share to D:\ for the client to read the EDL properly. The UNC method however I'm not sure how to do since it's in the format \\computer\share

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:04 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemicuda
so, if I read correctly...

I have for example a local path on the server d:\pvr where sage stores recordings. I would need to share the entire D drive on the server. On a client machine using M$ paths I would need to map that share to D:\ for the client to read the EDL properly.
Correct. If the server reads the path as d:\pvr, the client needs to read d:\pvr to the same location. (So if you've already got a D: drive on the client, you'll need to change either it's letter or the letter of the drive on the server so the two can match).
Quote:
The UNC method however I'm not sure how to do since it's in the format \\computer\share
You've got it, you just don't realize it. If your edl is location at \\computer\share - whatever that is - just set both server and client to read from that \\computer\share location.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:23 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by popechild
You've got it, you just don't realize it. If your edl is location at \\computer\share - whatever that is - just set both server and client to read from that \\computer\share location.
OK, so use that same UNC format even to reference a local drive. That also means I'll have to have a local account (on the Server box) with +rw permissions that the sage server will run under in order for it to access \\server\d\pvr correct? Hope that makes sense.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks guys, ill give that a try. The machines are on the same network, why not just share the drives.

I will likely change my server drives to a much higher letter such as M: for movies. That way mounting it as a network drive on the clients won't interfear with lower letters.

Special thanks to tmiranda for making my 24h time format dream a reality. See here for more details.

Last edited by FidgetyRat; 08-15-2006 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidgetyRat
Thanks guys, ill give that a try. The machines are on the same network, why not just share the drives.

I will likely change my server drives to a much higher letter such as M: for movies. That way mounting it as a network drive on the clients won't interfear with lower letters.

You will have to share the drive. It's just a matter of using mapped drives or UNC paths so the client knows where to look for the .txt file.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:12 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidgetyRat
Yup, I use W: X: Y: and Z: as recording drives. It keeps them out of the way when you plug in usb devices or card readers etc.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm having issues with UNC paths.. I don't have my recording directories directly on a drive letter, so mapping wont work.

I shared the TV Recordings folder which resides on D:\TV Recordings\ on the server.

I shared TV Recordings folder with read/write permissions

I told the server to use \\Server\TV Recordings as its recoding directory. This orks. Comskip works on the server and it is able to write to the new folder.

It does not correctly read the drive size. Info says there are 12 recordins and 0mb space used. My mini drive graph is empty.

The clients comskip does not work at all and it reports the same issues.

What is wrong with my UNC path? Am i missing something?

EDIT: I did some searches for UNC and found this thread VERY VERY useful.
http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthr...light=UNC+PAth

Didn't get to try the tricks yet but everyone else seems happy.

Last edited by FidgetyRat; 08-16-2006 at 09:13 AM.