SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-07-2006, 05:36 AM
Sage User

Tiny client system

What is available for a compact playback unit running the client software? I have a large server with hundreds of movies, I want to put a small system with DVI output behind a plasma screenand hide it. Any recommended systems?
Old 08-09-2006, 11:33 AM
Sage Aficionado

Check out the Aopen Mini PC's.

I put one together not too long ago. It works really well.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:49 AM
Sage Icon

How are the AOpen mini's for noise? Any annoying lighting when they're on? Seem's like a trend for all the new gadgets to come out with neon lighting that either strobes or blinks. I've got a Netgear Wi-Fi router that has an annoying blue flashing light on it with no way to turn it off. They give you a little plastic "cover" for the light but the light still leaks out around the edges.

I'm sorry, but computer equipment should be as invisible and silent as possible.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:02 AM
SageTVaholic

I'm running a shuttle PC and I love it. It looks so nice you don't even have to worry about hiding it. Check out the Chivo in my sig.

Having a problem? Don't forget to include a log! (Instructions for: PlayOn For SageTV v1.5, MediaShrink)
Old 08-10-2006, 08:28 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhyman1
Check out the Aopen Mini PC's.
What about the Intel 945 - are they capable of good quality output? I want to drive both Plasma and 16:9 projectors.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:33 AM
Sage Advanced User

I bought this case. It's on it's way. This case will look like a stereo component and has great write ups on low noise levels and cooling.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129014

-Polen
Old 08-10-2006, 02:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

The Mini PC's are almost silent as they use laptop parts.

I found the image quality to be pretty darn good. Not as good as an Nvidia card with the Purevideo Decoder, but not too shabby.

If you're spending a bundle on Plasma's and good quality projectors I wouldn't go with the Mini PC however. I'd go with a 6150 based board. Or perhaps a fanless 7600GT for full Purevideo support.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:21 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by polen
I bought this case. It's on it's way. This case will look like a stereo component and has great write ups on low noise levels and cooling.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129014

-Polen
Polen, you are going to LOVE that case. I use it for my Sage server. Truly fantastic. The only gripe I have is the blue led that surrounds the power button. I had to leave mine disconnected (the led, not the power button itself) because it would light up my theater at night. Everything else is PERFECT.

(I have the details on the exact type of paint to use if you need to re-color any drives to match the aluminum like front of this case. Let me know if you need it, it might save you some trial and error hunting the correct one down.)

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 08-11-2006, 07:00 AM
Sage Aficionado

There's a premium version of that case called the Antec Fusion that comes with a drive cover and a VFD (also a volume control, but I've never seen the point of that!).

Meant to be very good for noise and cooling.

I've gone for an Antec NSK1300 with a 6150 m/board, a 3000+ cpu and 512MB. It's not been a success; the PSU has died on me and I couldn't get really good standard definition performance out of the 6150. Not sure if that's because I have too little memory, or because I'm upscaling to 1080p.