SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-26-2006, 04:59 PM
Sage Icon

Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Beta 2

I just downloaded and install this version on both my client and my server.

Previously I was experiencing many problems with 1.5 update 6... After learning about a memory/handle leak, I downgraded to Java 1.4.12

1.4.12 has been working ok for me for the most part. Although my client still freezes quite often.

Has anyone else tested this latest version of java? Does it still exhibit the same leak?

It's been installed for only an hour, but I swear it seems to work better already.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:40 PM
Sage Icon

I installed it on my Vista box and haven't seen any problems with it. I went with it so that it wouldn't disable Aero Glass whenever I used a java-app. SageClient runs fine on it, but I only use it occasionally, so I dunno about any memory leaks. DOn't run it long enough to see.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:30 PM
Sage Icon

So, is this considered 1.6?
Old 07-26-2006, 09:50 PM
Sage Icon

pretty much. JRE 5 is basically 1.5 so JRE 6 would be 1.6
Old 07-26-2006, 09:56 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheemer
Has anyone else tested this latest version of java? Does it still exhibit the same leak?

It's been installed for only an hour, but I swear it seems to work better already.
It's working better because the leak is only half as bad on version 6 "Mustang leaks 1 handle rather than 2," according to Sun's bug report.
SageTV: SageTV Server 7.1.8 on Ubuntu Linux 11.04, SageTV Placeshifter for Mac 6.6.2, SageTV Client 7.0.15 for Windows, Linux Placeshifter 7.1.8 on Server and Client
, Java 1.6.
Plugins: Jetty, Nielm's Web Server, Mobile Web Interface.

Old 07-27-2006, 02:05 PM
Sage Icon

I tried this update on my server, since I don't use it to view things, and it's working fine. No ever increasing handle count.

However on my client, the handle count goes through the roof when you begin viewing something.

But after upgrading my server from 1.4.12 to 1.6 beta 2, my client seems much more responsive, even with 1.4.12 on the client.