SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-25-2006, 06:26 PM

Sage Quits Every Night

I am having a problem with Sage quitting every night. I leave Sage running and go to bed, wake up and my Windows desktop is displayed instead of the Sage UI. This has happened a couple of times during the day as well. I will turn the TV on in the morning before work and start Sage (since it quit the night before) and when I get home it will have quit again.

This, however, does not happen over lesser periods of time; I can leave the TV off for a couple of hours and come back and it will be fine in the evening. I am pretty sure the system isn't restarting because it would just load Sage again on startup if that was happening. I really can't figure out what is going on since every time this happens I am either at sleep or at work. I couldn't find a relevant link by using the search on this forum so I was hoping someone could help.

Thanks.

P.S. I am somewhat technologically inclined, but I may not fully understand really techinical issues so if you can spell things out for me it would be fantastic.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

Do you have any scheduled tasks that happen in the middle of the night? Defrag? Automatic updates? Antivirus updates?

Is sage actually exiting or is it just dropping to the taskbar?

If it is just dropping to the taskbar, it could be that something else on windows is taking focus causing sage to be minimized. I've seen this happen before.

I'm assuming you're using Windows XP? If it's actually quitting, can you check your system eventlogs (from a command prompt, type "eventvwr" to bring up the event viewer and check the "System" log to see if you see any errors or to see if there are logs saying that the services are starting up) to see if the machine is actually rebooting? Also, you can enable debug logging for sage as specified here http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...6&postcount=32 This might shed some light on the problem as well.

Last edited by emok; 07-25-2006 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Are you using java v1.5? If so, try v1.4 instead. Some people have mentioned reverting to v1.4.2.11 or v1.4.2.12 & not having a crash afterwards.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:36 AM

I will try the command prompt thing tonight. I don't believe it is crashing, as this doesn't ever happen during regular use of the Sage software. It is only occuring overnight. I don't have any scheduled tasks at night, I didn't even install antivirus software after a clean boot. It isn't minimizing either. The entire program exits out overnight. So I can try the java bit as well, but I don't think it is a crashing problem. I will let you know what I find from the logs tonight.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:35 PM
SageTVaholic

You might want to try downgrading to the version of java Opus has mentioned above. Maybe it is crashing after doing a Guide download.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:06 PM
Sage Icon

I had this same problem with Java 1.5 update 6. I think I reverted to java 1.5 update 5 to solve the issue.

But I eventually ended up using 1.4 as Opus is recommending aswell.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:12 AM
Sage Advanced User

I think you will find it is the java as others have stated above the same thing happened to me when I upgraded the java took it back to 1.4 and I have had a very stable system ever since.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:56 AM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to Motofreak75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
Are you using java v1.5? If so, try v1.4 instead. Some people have mentioned reverting to v1.4.2.11 or v1.4.2.12 & not having a crash afterwards.

- Andy
thank you, Sage is back to normal

Also I went into control panel and turned off automatic update feature for Java, for the longest time, I thought I was running 1.4.2.12 but I guess it updated a few weeks ago & thats when its started to get unstable.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:18 PM
Sage Icon

How could Sun do this?
Old 07-27-2006, 02:03 PM
Sage Icon

No kidding... They should get their act together. And it's too bad Sage is a slave to their bad programming.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

... I also had the same problem and found that it was Java 1.5.06.... reverting to any older version seems to have resolved it for me, too.
Server: AMD Phenom Quad-Core 2.3Ghz, 4GB RAM, ECS A780GM-A MB, 2x HD-PVRs (connected to DirecTV HD STBs using ethernet channel changing), 1x AverMedia A180, OS RAID-1 mirror - 2x250GB 7200rpm SATA, Media RAID-1 mirror - 2x1TB 7200rpm SATA, USB-UIRT (remote control)
Main Client: Sage STX-HD100 Media extender
Second Client: Athlon XP 4000+, 2GB MB PC3200 DDR, Asus A8N5X MB, 512MB PCI-E ATI HD Radeon 3650, 160 GB SATA - hardware mirrored
Old 07-30-2006, 09:22 AM
Sage Aficionado

How do you know what version of Java you have installed ? LOL ! I am trying to figure that out...

Also, I am not sure where I can even download the OLDER version of that Java? Anyone have any useful links ?
Old 07-30-2006, 11:42 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncredibleHat
How do you know what version of Java you have installed ? LOL ! I am trying to figure that out...

Also, I am not sure where I can even download the OLDER version of that Java? Anyone have any useful links ?
Java 1.4.2 can be downloaded here. You want the JRE not the SDK.

You can check your version by just looking at the directory name in: C:\program files\java\j2re1.x.y_z

if x is 5 then you have a 1.5 version. If you have multiple version of java installed than you will see multiple directories. I would uninstall all java versions and get 1.4.2_12 from above link and after uninstalling all other versions delete any of the j2re directories above that are left just to make sure they are all gone. Then install the 1.4.2 version you've just downloaded.

BobP.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

Looks like 1.5.0_06 ... grrr.

Thanks for the info.