SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-22-2006, 12:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Deciding between amd dualcore or single core?

I have doing a little research on my next projects. I plan on upgrading my desktop pc and possibly installing sage client on it. I currntly am using a pretty old P3 1.2 sytem that has pretty much outlived its usefullness. I am also planning on building a dedicated Sage Client PC for my livingroom pc.
I am planning on using the MSI 6150 motherbaords for both because of the onboard 6150 graphics for now and the ability to upgrade later if need be.
I just cant decide with the prices of AMD 939 processors falling soon, which way to go. I dont normaly run much in the backround other than Sage TV. It seems to me that a faster single core processor would run HDTV better than a slower clocked dual core. The real benifits of a dualcore are for running multiple processes at once.
Can someone please enlighten me on the pros and cons, dual vs single core.
Thanks, Dave
Seasonic S-12 380w, NEC 3520a Onboard SoundStorm S/PDIF out
WD-Caviar 120GB IDE (System) Seagate (3) Baracuda 250GB sata (Pooled)
GF-7600gs Forceware 93.71 Nvida-Decoder V.4.02.223HDHR-Prime 3-Digital Fios ,HDhomeRun-Qam/FIOS
Clients:GA-MA78GM-S2H -AMD 4800- Sage TV Client-FireFly Remote - Amd x2 Turino LAPTOP - HD-100 + MVP Client DVR Verizon Fios/ B]

Last edited by davefred99; 07-22-2006 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-22-2006, 04:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

All I have to say is that I wish I went dual core. The one time you want/need to run something in the background while you watch TV will probably lead you to the same effect. I have an AMD 3700+ and I get stuttering video when doing certain multitasking.(i.e. Ripping CD's).
Old 07-22-2006, 07:30 PM
Sage Icon

I doubt dual core would make much difference... esp. for CD I/O. I believe that Windows stops task scheduling and interrupts to a great extent during CD spin-ups.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

I believe stevech is correct but read this thread if doing other things where dual core would greatly help.

http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=19073