SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 07-21-2006, 12:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

What does the record button do in SageMC?

I am trying out MC now to see whether I like it better than the default SVT and one thing I noticed is that when I press the record button on my remote, it does nothing.
I was used to getting the Record dialog where I could choose to record a show I was watching so I could safely switch channels without loosing my recording.
Now, nothing happens. Well, I see some kind of hicup...

How do I tell it to record a show for keeping that I was watching and switch channels or go to bed or whatever?
Old 07-21-2006, 01:52 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franc
I am trying out MC now to see whether I like it better than the default SVT and one thing I noticed is that when I press the record button on my remote, it does nothing.
I was used to getting the Record dialog where I could choose to record a show I was watching so I could safely switch channels without loosing my recording.
Now, nothing happens. Well, I see some kind of hicup...

How do I tell it to record a show for keeping that I was watching and switch channels or go to bed or whatever?
The record button does start the recording for me. Pressing it again on a currently recording show (in 6.7) pops up a dialog box asking if you want to cancel the recording and keep the already recorded part. Sounds like maybe your remote's not interfacing correctly.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

Okay so it should act the same way.....my remote is working fine otherwise and in the default SVT, also the record button.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Okay so it should act the same way.....my remote is working fine otherwise and in the default SVT, also the record button.
Yes, as Popechild said. When you press "REC", the OSD should show up temporarily, and you'll see the red record icon next to the show title which indicates that this show has been marked as a manual recording, and Sage will keep it after the show is over. When you press REC again, the recording will be canceled (well, SageTV is actually always recording, but the recorded file will get deleted shortly after the show is over, because now it doesnt have the 'manual recording' flag any more). New in SageMC 6.7 is the ability to save the partial recording you have watched so far, currently it is the oly STV which supports this.

Dirk
Old 07-22-2006, 12:21 AM
Sage Advanced User

I must be using an older version then?
Afaik I'm using 5.10 and if I press record there's no OSD at all...

EDIT: upgraded to 6.x and now when I press the record button I get an OSD: I see a red icon being added - I was looking in the wrong place
What I don't like is the fact that if I press REC again it ALWAYS cancels. I am asked if I want to keep the partial recording alright, but what if I accidentally pressed REC and want to cancel?

Last edited by Franc; 07-22-2006 at 02:55 AM.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:33 AM
Sage Advanced User

What I meant was: what if I want to cancel the accidental cancelling of the recording.

I have a wife and a 2-year-old in the house, so no matter how hard that button is to press, they will press it...
Old 07-22-2006, 06:08 AM
SageTVaholic

Press it again?

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

It's not really a big deal, but it would make more sense if there were a 'cancel' option, wouldn't it?
I hit REC, it starts recording.
I hit REC again, it asks me 'save partial recording: yes or no'. I would like the opportunity to say: sorry wrong button, I want to keep recording. If you say 'keep' and start recording again, you have missed a couple of seconds.
Although while I am typing this, I start thinking: has it stopped recording already before it showed the dialog?
Old 07-22-2006, 08:02 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
If you say 'keep' and start recording again, you have missed a couple of seconds.
Although while I am typing this, I start thinking: has it stopped recording already before it showed the dialog?
Hi Franc,

you won't miss even a second ... Sage is always recording live TV, and when you cancel the recording you are still watching it, so Sage will keep recording the show, without interruption. Pressing REC is only like toggling a status to tell Sage not to delete the show after it is over ...

But I agree that a dialog with 3 options makes more sense. It's just that there already was a generic 2-choice dialog in SageMC which I re-used, didn't bother to write a new one ... I might do this in some later version.

Dirk
Old 07-22-2006, 08:05 AM
Sage Advanced User

Ah okay, then it makes more sense to me.

I'm not critizing your work by the way!
Old 07-22-2006, 08:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I'm not critizing your work by the way!
Dont worry, I never took it that way ...
It's always nice to see new people starting to use SageMC

Dirk
Old 02-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Sage User

Hi all,
I am coming from MCE, and I have a few days trial left. I use SageMC because it is great... but I have been scratching my head over this ...
How do I keep a partial recording when watching live TV?

So the answer is press record once to start it, ok makes sense....
And press record again to choose to 'keep' the bit I just chose to record ?
Is this the answer ?

Currently I have been pressing stop which takes me to 'Cancel recording', 'Set as Watched', etc. which DOESN'T keep the recording !!!

Please for the love of all good things ! When a user presses STOP (in SageMC) give him the option there to 'save this recording'.
Pressing REC again (if this is really the way to do it) just makes no sense to my brain.