SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-18-2006, 09:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

Divx and xvid subtitle?

I often play divx and xvids files with subtiles or better yet, srt files. Can sage play these files or I'm better off getting an external player to play them?
Old 07-19-2006, 04:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

It plays them fine on my system, although not on remote client or placeshifter (still looking for a solution to that).
Old 07-19-2006, 06:23 AM
Sage Icon

What about subtitles in mp4 files? Anyone acclomplish this yet?
Old 07-19-2006, 09:34 AM
Sage Advanced User

Ahhh, so there is a problem playing them on a client machine. I can't seem to get them to play on the client machine what so ever.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:47 AM
Sage Advanced User

I think it has to do with the fact that you have separate software like vobsub to show the subs and this is local on the server machine (where divx and sub reside) so the client is unaware of sub or a way to show them.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

But it is kind of strange though, that I had started to use unc paths instead. Hoping maybe the client shouldn't have any problems reading the srt files for some the xvid files I had.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:36 PM
Sage Icon

What Franc meant was that your client machine might not have the software to display subtitles installed, not that it can't see the srt files over the UNC path.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

But what's strange is that, using media player classic on the client plays the subtitles fine. Only on the sage client that is doesn't play it. Do I need another piece of software to work with sage inorder for sage to read srt files?
Old 08-03-2006, 08:36 PM
Sage User

I have this same problem when playing matroska (.mkv) files. Anyone figure out why Sage doesn't display the subtitles?
Machine:Dell Dimension 9200;Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor E6320 (4MB L2 cache,1.86GHz,1066FSB); RAM: 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs; Graphics Card: 128MB nVidia GeForce 8300 GS; Tuner: Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 500 MCE
Storage: OS/Apps: 160GB (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache ; Recordings: Seagate 300GB 7200 RPM SATA; Signal: Comcast Digital Cable with HD Converter;
Old 09-29-2006, 02:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franc
It plays them fine on my system, although not on remote client or placeshifter (still looking for a solution to that).
How do you turn on/off the subtitles when playing them via the Imported Video menu?

I see the subtitle popup that says they are available at the start of the playback, but no such option under a left or right mouse click...

Many thanks,
Belgrath
Old 09-29-2006, 11:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

I don't (have to) turn them on or off, they're just there. Vobsub is always on the lookout for sub with the same name as the videofile and when it finds one it plays it along with the file. Does that with mediaplayer and does it with Sage.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franc
I don't (have to) turn them on or off, they're just there. Vobsub is always on the lookout for sub with the same name as the videofile and when it finds one it plays it along with the file. Does that with mediaplayer and does it with Sage.
What I did was convert the vob files from a DVD into a DivX file. This file has the subtitles embedded in it so that I can view them (or turn them off) when I play these videos back via DivX Player. I'm guessing that I can't do something similar with the Sage playback then. From what I've been reading one needs the subtitles extracted from the origional movie and placed into a subfile.

Belg