SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-29-2006, 07:00 AM
Sage User

Network Encoder Questions

I have 2 full copies of SAGE, the main machine has a single pvr250 and is on 24/7. The second machine will be used as a client / network encoder and will only be used occasionally when watching TV elsewhere or the rare times i want to record 2 things.

I would like to use the second one as a network encoder but have a few questions.

1) I use xmltv for epg data, where is the epg for the network encoder machine done?

2) The second machine is only switched on occaionally, does the main server automatically adjust its own scheduled recordings to cope with the etwork recorder being turned on and off.

Worst comes to worst and i will just use it as a client machine and change it to a full version to record stuff.

Thanks

JJ
Old 06-29-2006, 07:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamjam
I have 2 full copies of SAGE, the main machine has a single pvr250 and is on 24/7. The second machine will be used as a client / network encoder and will only be used occasionally when watching TV elsewhere or the rare times i want to record 2 things.

I would like to use the second one as a network encoder but have a few questions.

1) I use xmltv for epg data, where is the epg for the network encoder machine done?
All the shceduling/management/guide stuff is done on the "main" (or "master" if you will) SageTV machine. The Encoding Server (as the SageTV network encoder is called) is "dumb", it just follows commands.

Quote:
2) The second machine is only switched on occaionally, does the main server automatically adjust its own scheduled recordings to cope with the etwork recorder being turned on and off.
Yup, it will see that the network encoder is unavailable and adjust it's scheduling accordingly, and will see it when it's back and adjust it's schedule again. Note that those events aren't instantaneous, it takes a bit for Sage to realize a network encoder is gone, or back.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:41 AM
Sage User

thnaks for the reply

Thats what i was hoping for just need to get it working
Old 07-04-2006, 08:17 AM
Sage User

OK,

The network encode will have a different epg lineup than the server.

Server - Cable STB (NTL)
Network Encoder - analogue OTA (UK 5 channels)

At the moment I use XMLTV to get the EPG data for the server. If I want to use XMLTV for the network encoder is this going to cause problems?

I seem to remember that there was an XMLTV importer that could handle mutiple lineups. Do I need to use this?

Thanks

JJ