SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-24-2006, 10:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

What are my options to integrate a Comcast box (with HDTV) into Sage?

It seems that the only reasonable way to watch HDTV programming is going to Cable or Satellite. In my case I decided to upgrade my Comcast analog cable to Digital with HDTV. I have some questions about my integration possibilities with Sage. Until now I used a Hauppauge 350.

Q1: Is there any quality degrading if I input the signal from the cable box (I assume SVideo) into my card? And then out again?

Q2: How about 5.1 sound on digital channels. Is there any way not loose it (with Sage as a recorder)?

Q3: I will get some kind of HDTV capable box from Comcast. Should I use USBIRT to blast it? Or are there other ways to control it?

Q4: I assume I can't record HDTV but I assume I can use Sage's program guide to control the box. Will Sage know that it always has to record on the non-HDTV channel number?

Am I missing something?
Old 06-24-2006, 10:08 AM
Sage Aficionado

Check out the STB via firewire threads
Old 06-24-2006, 10:25 AM
Administrator

If you are recording the output from the box via the 350, you will be recording SD quality with 2-channel audio. If firewire works for you, that would do what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropole
Q4: I assume I can't record HDTV but I assume I can use Sage's program guide to control the box. Will Sage know that it always has to record on the non-HDTV channel number?
In Channel Setup, just disable any channels you don't want SageTV to record from. But, if you are using the svideo output to the 350 & the box can output the channel that way, you should be able to record it.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks. Is Firewire from the Comcast box the only known option to capture 5.1 sound? I assume there would be a change for HDTV tuner cards with QAM tuning (whenever this would be ever possible)?