SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Glassy Show Icons for SageMC - Coming Soon

Hi all,

We've been discussing putting together a set of semi-transparent glassy show icons for SageMC in the Addons thread. It seemed about time to breakout and start a new thread for this. I have a preview of the ones I have done so far. I still have to generate the Encoder Markers before I release them. I'm hoping to finish and post the icon pack over the weekend.

I'd like some feedback. Are the meanings of the icons obvious enough? Also, I have made two versions of the watched and favorites (series record) icons. I will include both version in the icon pack, but which should I make the default? I personally prefer the eyes for the watched icon and the heart for the favorites icon, but they may be too silly for some. I am also planning on releasing large (60x60) and small (30x30) versions of the icons as well. As always, suggestions are welcome.

Aloha,
Mike

Old 06-23-2006, 01:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to millers_35
Ah Man great job. Those look awesome!!! Cant wait till you release them. I like the heart and the eyes as well but some may not but definetly put them in as an option.

Miller
Old 06-23-2006, 01:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Just an observation, but they look a little weird with the light hitting them dead on the top of the sphere. Perhaps you could try moving the "reflection" (or whatever you want to call it) slightly askew and give them a little more of a natural feeling? Maybe something like this...

Otherwise, I like where your going with this

Having a problem? Don't forget to include a log! (Instructions for: PlayOn For SageTV v1.5, MediaShrink)

Last edited by evilpenguin; 06-23-2006 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Please keep it coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpenguin
Perhaps you could try moving the "reflection" (or whatever you want to call it) slightly askew and give them a little more of a natural feeling?
I'll try a couple variations of the reflections and see what I can come up with. I'll post an example of each and see what is preferred. Since I'm planning on releasing different versions anyway (large and small) I might make up a couple of sets with different reflections and such. It just depends on how much time it all takes. (I really want to finish the skin I'm working on )

jds23,

Additional glassy graphics are on my todo list for my orbital skin, so I think I'll be able to address your requests. It might just take a little while.

Thanks again!

Aloha,
Mike
Old 06-23-2006, 10:03 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via AIM to kricker Send a message via MSN to kricker
Mike,
Your graphic work is getting better and better with each thing you do. I read thru some of your other posts where you are using Illustrator and Photoshop. As a graphic designer and animator, I use these every day. If you have any questions on how to do some things, or even how to make things easier on yourself, feel free to contact me. I'd be glad to give you some help.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Thanks for the encouragement kricker. I have so far to go it isn't funny, but I have lots of years to get better. I can guarantee I'll take you up on your offer. But don't worry, I'll try not to be too much of a pest. Thank you very much, I really appreciate it.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 06-24-2006, 09:21 AM
Sage Icon

No prob...pester away!
Old 06-24-2006, 03:10 PM
Sage Icon

Nice job MIM. I agree, the reflection could go a little, maybe to the left (as if the light source was coming from the left), but other than that, they look great. Can't wait to use them.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Ok, so I've learned alot about using layers upon layers for generating highlights and shadows. After seeing a finished example, I have to agree that moving the reflection works much better.

So, which version do you guys prefer: original, revision1, revision2, or am I completely out to lunch? I personally like the effect of revision2, but additional suggestions are welcome.

Aloha,
Mike

Old 06-24-2006, 06:01 PM
Sage Icon

I vote for revision 1. Drop shadows are way over used. Also in this case, as most cases, it just looks cleaner and more professional without them.

Also if you really want a glass look, there should be some small highliting on the dark side as well. example
tutorial with a really shiny ball
If you make your ball a black one, then you place it on your top most layer using transfer modes to "apply" the shiny ball look to the layers below. Then you can make multiple "shiny ball" icons in no time.

You might also wanna try it without any lighing on the "icons" inside the balls.

Last edited by kricker; 06-24-2006 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kricker
I vote for revision 1. Drop shadows are way over used. Also in this case, as most cases, it just looks cleaner and more professional without them.
I'd have to vote for Rev. 1 also. The drop shadows actually makes the graphic more confusing. In Rev.1 you clearly see the graphic.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:37 PM
Sage User

Rev 1 but a litle bit brighter like the Original.

They look great, can't wait.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:38 PM
Sage Icon

Tally another for Rev. 1. These are going to be so cool. Finally, an artist willing to do some cool stuff for Sage...
Old 06-25-2006, 11:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Also if you really want a glass look, there should be some small highliting on the dark side as well.
Thanks for the advice. It really helps to have someone who know what they are doing give input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
I'd have to vote for Rev. 1 also. The drop shadows actually makes the graphic more confusing. In Rev.1 you clearly see the graphic.
Thanks. You guys have me convinced.

Using rev1 as the starting point, I've added some highlight on the dark side, reduced the lighting on the inner icon, and increased the transparency a notch.

Now I'm starting to feel like I'm at the opthamologist. 1 or 2 ..... 1 or 3

Aloha,
Mike

PS. geogecko: I'm no artist, but I really appreciate the support. Thanks.

Old 06-25-2006, 12:06 PM
Sage Icon

Looking good. Sitting back a few feet and looking at it gives me the idea of what it will look like within Sage. I like rev 3, but depending on the size of the users TV set and if they are HD or not, it could be hard to tell the difference between the 2.

The following are only suggestions, ignore them if you like:
If you stretch that lower highlight a bit more around the edge. Like something similar to a very thin moon shape. Then you should definately tell the difference in the 2. You also might want to boost the contrast a little as well, so it looks a bit more glossy.

Last edited by kricker; 06-25-2006 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Looking good. Sitting back a few feet and looking at it gives me the idea of what it will look like within Sage. I like rev 3, but depending on the size of the users TV set and if they are HD or not, it could be hard to tell the difference between the 2.

The following are only suggestions, ignore them if you like:
If you stretch that lower highlight a bit more around the edge. Like something similar to a very thin moon shape. Then you should definately tell the difference in the 2. You also might want to boost the contrast a little as well, so it looks a bit more glossy.
Good point. I hadn't even thought of sitting back a few feet. I was worried about overdoing the contrast, but I guessed I erred a little to much on the side of caution. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:34 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm a huge fan of rev 1. It looks like it will match the SageMC themes very well. Great work!

Having a problem? Don't forget to include a log! (Instructions for: PlayOn For SageTV v1.5, MediaShrink)
Old 06-25-2006, 01:07 PM
Sage Icon

I like the icon ideas.

Just want to give a pointer coming from designing the default STV icons. Stay away from things that are too detailed and try to use bold lines otherwise when Sage scales them down it will be very difficult to see what they are.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:31 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxMox
I like the icon ideas.

Just want to give a pointer coming from designing the default STV icons. Stay away from things that are too detailed and try to use bold lines otherwise when Sage scales them down it will be very difficult to see what they are.
Exactly. Good GUI design usually follow the KISS theory (Keep It Simple Stupid). But just because something might look simple doesn't mean the underworkings, or the path to it actually are I have found the more simple things appear, the more difficult it is to get them to "look" that way.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:11 PM
Sage Icon

i hate to critique something so cool. I love what you have done so far. Question:

Is there a way that you can bleed the very clean lines of the reflection a bit? With something like the photoshop correction brush or something similar? To me the clean lines just stand out too much.

I can say that I would definitely use what you have done so far! Im just giving my 2 cents worth i guess...

I.

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 1/Master BR - MediaMVP running a 30" Olevia LCD TV.
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.