SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-21-2006, 06:53 PM
Sage Expert

Problems setting up ATI HDTV Wonder - can't change channels...

I setup a trail of Sage 5 using an Avermedia A180 card without any problems, except that the reception on certain channels isn't as good as I'd expect after using a set-top hd box. So I'm trying a different card to see if it's any better - the ATI HDTV Wonder.

It works fine in MCE, but if I try to set it up in Sage I get the following popup on the screen where I choose "Digital TV" as the source:

"ERROR (-4,0x8007000e) There was a problem using the capture device. Please be sure you have the latest drivers installed for your capture device, and that they are installed correctly."

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the card, the software, and the drivers. Nothing has helped. It's on the "supported" list by Sage, and it works fine in MCE.

Any ideas??? I've only got a few days on this trial and I want to be able to fairly evaluate Sage before it runs out!

Thanks!!

Last edited by popechild; 06-23-2006 at 02:04 AM.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:47 PM
Sage

Do you have the MCE services disabled? They may be still using the card so SageTV can't access it.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:06 AM
Sage Expert

Yes they're disabled. I disabled all of the Media Center serivces, stopped them, and restarted the computer, as well as disabling the eHome startup application that listens for remote signals as well.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:04 AM
Sage Expert

Well, I somehow got this to quit giving me the error and start showing a picture. However, it won't let me change channels. Sage acts like the channel is changing, but the same commercial shows nonstop. When I go into the tuner setup, after I select "Digital TV Tuner" as the source type, it doesn't give me an option to tune OTA using the card as I've seen on an Avermedia A180 before. Instead it gives two options: Tune using cable/sat or don't setup tuning. I have no idea how to get around this?
Old 06-23-2006, 02:26 AM
Sage Expert

Well crap.

I shot down Sage then re-started it and wouldn't you know it, I can't get a picture anymore. I'm guessing that maybe somehow in all my messing around trying to get it setup that it sort of "accidentally" ended up on an actual channel, so I got a nice picture, but it still wouldn't let me tune. After restarting though, it's apparently no longer on that frequency, so I don't get anything but a black screen again...
Old 06-23-2006, 11:40 AM
Sage Expert

I may just be talking to myself here, but I thought others might find this interesting. After many trials and errors, I realized that using SageMC while I was trying to add a new tuner was at least related somehow to my problem. The basic problem was that it would not ever allow me to choose to use my capture card as a tuner, therefore it would never pick up any channels once it was installed.

I'm still not sure why SageMC caused this problem, but after I switched back to the standard STV I was able to install two cards (the Wonder and an A180) without a problem. Then I just switched back to the SageMC STV I had been using, complete with all mods still in place, and it works fine now!
Old 06-23-2006, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Nothing against custom STVs, but the default STV regularly gets tweaked to handle any new core configuration methods/requirements, especially in terms of tuner support. Any time you have a problem, it is best to revert to the default STV to see if the issue still occurs. Among other things, that helps narrow it down to whether it is an STV issue or a core SageTV problem.

Configuration/Setup is a very critical aspect, so I suggest using the default STV to do all the initial tuner configuration before choosing the STV you want for your everyday usage. Once all the hardware is working proplery, then you can choose your UI.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:00 PM
Sage Expert

Yeah, I certainly understand that. It does seem that (at least in cases) SageMC has trouble with new tuner installation, but there didn't seem to be any problem just switching back and forth from SageMC to the standard STV in order to install the new cards, then reverting back afterward with no ill effects...

Finally got both the ATI HDTV Wonder and the Avermedia A180 working together. Good times!
Old 10-10-2006, 10:41 AM

I've been trying to set up the trial of sageTV with an ATI Radeon 9600xt. I was getting the same error about being unable to access the capture device during the video playback part of the setup.

The wierd thing is that when doing the channel setup I can view all of the channels and get a picture.

I was hoping to use the information in this thread to help, but I'm not sure what you were doing when you got to the point where you switched from SMC to STV.

I will be trying to disable the ATI media center to get rid of the error during video playback testing, but I think it's strange that I can see the channels during channel setup.

***edit*** Looks like I have a radeon 9600 chipset which is not supportted***

Last edited by Ovno; 10-10-2006 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:31 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovno

I was hoping to use the information in this thread to help, but I'm not sure what you were doing when you got to the point where you switched from SMC to STV.
Not sure if you realize that SageTV is the actual DVR/PVR program and that there is a default user-interface for it. SageMC is an alternate UI that is user-designed to add additional functionality and a "prettier" UI that is similar to Windows Media Center Edition. However, sometimes the SageMC UI doesn't always have all the features of the default UI in the setup area.

What popechild was saying is that he switched to the default SageTV UI to make his configuration changes, and then switched back to the SageMC UI afterwards. SageMC now even has a link to "hardware changes" and when you select it, it loads the default UI so that you are making your changes with the default UI.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj
SageMC now even has a link to "hardware changes" and when you select it, it loads the default UI so that you are making your changes with the default UI.
I'm curious: does it actually change the STV that is in use? If not, then it is still using the setup code in the SageMC STV, which may or may not be up to date.

Especially in the v6 beta, in is very important that you do all hardware configuration using the default STV. Quite a few changes were made to the source setup code, among other config items.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:59 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
I'm curious: does it actually change the STV that is in use? If not, then it is still using the setup code in the SageMC STV, which may or may not be up to date.

Especially in the v6 beta, in is very important that you do all hardware configuration using the default STV. Quite a few changes were made to the source setup code, among other config items.

- Andy
In SageMC you still have access to detailed setup and a SageMC page that will let you just enable/disable channels on the various lineups without getting into video sources. There isn't a button to "setup video sources", but there is a button to "hardware setup" and when selected, it prompts you that it will change the UI to the default UI. Once it does, yes it does actually load the default UI, and you are at the main menu. YOu will need to navigate back to the settings area to make your changes. And if you want to go back to SageMC, then you do have to reload it as your new STV.

edit: Flachbar just added that in V6.13 of SageMC.
Quote:
Added two shortcut buttons to the 'Settings' menu: 'Import' for importing plugins, and 'Hardware Setup' which will load the default STV. This one replaces the buttons 'Config Wizard' and 'Setup Tuners', since any hardware configuration should really be done with the stock STV

Last edited by ke6guj; 10-10-2006 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:20 PM
Administrator

I missed that note, so thanks for the info.

- Andy