SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 06-13-2006, 05:23 AM
Sage Icon

Wireless Extender Capabilities

Hi all, question about the wireless MVP and its capabilities for vobs and divx. I am curious what actually happens now with vobs and divx files when they are played on the MVP. For vobs--does the audio no longer need to be transcoded? And for Divx--is it still transcoding to mpeg on the fly?

The reason I ask is my server currently only has an AthlonXP 2000. I can transcode vobs (audio) without problems. I'm having a sizing issue but that's a whole other story.

The problem is that the processor isn't able to keep up with the Divx transcoding. Its so close--video plays smooth but the audio is jerky and choppy. So-If I the wireless MVP does something different with Divx files that would be a fix for me. I could otherwise upgrade my processor too--but I figure I can get more bang for my buck just buying the wireless MVP and having an extra one for the bedroom. As another option--is there any way to tweak the transcoding settings for divx to possible lessen the strain on my cpu?
Thoughts?
Thanks,
JUC
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC
Old 06-13-2006, 06:03 AM
Sage Advanced User

Both still need to be transcoded. The wireless extender does not add any new codec features, just the wireless and digital audio via SPDIF.

Last edited by jquinlan; 06-14-2006 at 06:47 AM.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:08 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUC
Hi all, question about the wireless MVP and its capabilities for vobs and divx. I am curious what actually happens now with vobs and divx files when they are played on the MVP. For vobs--does the audio no longer need to be transcoded? And for Divx--is it still transcoding to mpeg on the fly?
Thanks,
JUC
OK, well, I'm getting mixed results. If I use SlySoft's CloneDVDMobile to create my Divx and VOB files (1:30 Min Average for creation of Divx, and 15 Min Average for creation of VOB passthrough) they play perfectly through the wireless media extender and the CPU Usage is about 40%. (P4, 2GHz, 512 meg ram). I have had no luck getting divx created with GK or FairUse to work. I also can't get Divx files that I download from DL.TV to run. (Actually they run but are very choppy and stop and start). I'm told by Narflex (http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18510) that Version 5.1 will support MP4 H.264 & AVC over the MVP.

I'm sold the the SlySoft products. They come with full 21 day trials, and with AnyDVD and CloneDVDMobile I find that I have finally found very quick and reliable method to copy my DVDs to my server for play over Sage through MVP.

Hope this helps.

Brett
Old 06-13-2006, 10:14 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jquinlan
Both still need to be transcoded. The wireless extender does not add any new codec features, just the wireless and digital audio via SPID.

The vob's still need to be transcoded?? I thought that since the wireless version is able to output digital audio that it wouldn't need to transcode the audio anymore?

Does anyone know what the minimum CPU requirements are for transcoding Divx? The hauppauge site has it listed at 2.2Ghz. Anyone running it lower with good results?
THanks,
JUC
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Old 06-13-2006, 10:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUC
The vob's still need to be transcoded?? I thought that since the wireless version is able to output digital audio that it wouldn't need to transcode the audio anymore?

Does anyone know what the minimum CPU requirements are for transcoding Divx? The hauppauge site has it listed at 2.2Ghz. Anyone running it lower with good results?
THanks,
JUC
For now they need to be transcoded...
Old 06-13-2006, 01:45 PM
Sage Fanatic

That wink sounds really nice!
Old 06-13-2006, 07:01 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUC
Output digital audio? Did I miss something? All I can find is that both models have only SVID/RCA connects.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:03 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemicuda
Output digital audio? Did I miss something? All I can find is that both models have only SVID/RCA connects.
I believe the wireless version also has a digital SPDIF audio output. Ideally, this can be used to pass through AC3 audio from vobs--so no transcoding would be needed (at least I think how it will work).
JUC

Old 06-14-2006, 09:01 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex
Any chance of being able to rip a DVD to iso and playing it over the MVP?
Old 06-15-2006, 08:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex
Please help me - From what I understood, the MVP was a great solution as an extender but could not play DVDs / VOB files without transcoding them (placing a large enough load on the server).

Is that correct ? Does Narflex wink's indicate that the MVPs will eventually be able to play ripped DVDs / VOB files or are we only talking about transcoding digital audio in MPEG files ?

I am playing with the Client, but would love to buy a couple of MVPs if they could play ripped DVD.

TIA.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:59 AM
Sage Icon

Right now-we can play vobs in the MVP. It jus has to transcode the audio so it does tax the system. I 'hope' the wink means that eventually, MVP's that have digital audio outputs on them will be able to play back vobs without needing to transcode the AC3 audio. Note-that this will only work if the MVP has a SPDIF output.
JUC