SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 06-11-2006, 01:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

Need a script to reboot MVP

Calling all you script kids out there.

I need some help with a script to reboot a MVP. I can telnet into the MVP and then enter the command reboot and the MVP will reboot, but I would like this to be in the form of a script. The problem I have is when you use the command Telnet <ip addr of MVP> -l root it still asks you to login. Can this be done? Am I doing something wrong? Or is there any easy way to do this?

I would also like to know how you change or add login names.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dean
Old 02-07-2008, 08:42 AM
Sage Expert

Send a message via Yahoo to cmaffia
Bump!
Server: Dual Tuner: PVR-150MCE/PVR-250MCE/SageTV v5.02/Asus Pundit-R 2.4GHZ/512MB DDR RAM/250 GB Maxtor HD (8MB Buffer) External Seagate 400GB HD via USB 2.0/Onboard ATI 9100 using SVIDEO TV-Out/Nvidia DVD decoder/Actisys 200L IR Blaster (Dish receiver) USBUIRT (DirectTV receiver)/Lite-On 4X DVD-R/RW/Windows XP Pro SP2/Adesso Mini IR Keyboard w/integrated mouse/Tivo "Peanut" Remote via USBUIRT/Dish Network Model 301/DirectTV subscriber/Webserver Plugin v2.8
Old 02-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Sage Fanatic

I have seen code to do this somewhere on the forum in the past, but not sure how to do it myself, however if you have the web server installed, you could try...

watching something on your MVP, and on the main web page there should be links to stop playback/power off and reboot the MVP.

Make a note of the link to reboot it, and then use a batch file with wget, so the line would be something along the lines of...

wget http://user:password@localhost:8080/...st_of_the_link

I'm away from home so can't test if this will work until the weekend, but this is the way I'd try.

If it doesn't work, I'd guess you'd have to look at the code in the web server to see how it works.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:08 AM
Sage Icon

I use wget to do this, here is what you need to know.

wget.exe

arguments

--delete-after http://USERNAME:PASSWORD@SERVER/sage...&command=Power

You need Niel's webserver installed, the MAC of the MVP is located on a label on it's underside. Everything in CAPS you will need to modify to suit your system.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Just curious, why would you run such a script? Is this different than just powering off the MVP and powering it back on?
Old 02-07-2008, 11:54 AM
Sage Icon

Back when I only had few tuners it was nice to kill the master or guest MVP when the operator had fallen asleep taking up a tuner slot. Now I have plenty of tuners and it has just become cool factor. Also you can send that command every few minutes to prohibit after hours use by childeren if you like.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:55 AM
SageTVaholic

If you do not have enough licenses to use Placeshifter because an extender was left on you could use the script to shut it off and free up the license to use remotely.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Sage Icon

Now this is a soft shutdown so that would be another cool function if it does free the whole license. If you watch the MVP it will just stop playing and go to screensaver and not actually power off. It's not like hitting the power button on the remote and definately not like pulling the plug.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:17 PM
Sage Expert

My kids like to hijack the tuners by falling asleep with the TV on.
I want to schedule a reboot of both MVP's every night.

Is there a way to do this with a DOS script rather than the explained method of using Nielm's webserver (which doesn't serve my intended purpose)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Just curious, why would you run such a script? Is this different than just powering off the MVP and powering it back on?
Server: Dual Tuner: PVR-150MCE/PVR-250MCE/SageTV v5.02/Asus Pundit-R 2.4GHZ/512MB DDR RAM/250 GB Maxtor HD (8MB Buffer) External Seagate 400GB HD via USB 2.0/Onboard ATI 9100 using SVIDEO TV-Out/Nvidia DVD decoder/Actisys 200L IR Blaster (Dish receiver) USBUIRT (DirectTV receiver)/Lite-On 4X DVD-R/RW/Windows XP Pro SP2/Adesso Mini IR Keyboard w/integrated mouse/Tivo "Peanut" Remote via USBUIRT/Dish Network Model 301/DirectTV subscriber/Webserver Plugin v2.8

Last edited by cmaffia; 02-07-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaffia View Post
Is there a way to do this with a DOS script rather than the explained method of using Nielm's webserver (which doesn't serve my intended purpose)?
I'm not quite sure what you mean.

If you don't have the web server installed then you can't use this method, but if you do you can create a batch file, call it something like 'rebootmvp.bat' and add the line mentioned earlier to it. Then create a scheduled task within windows that runs the batch file, which will then reboot the mvp at the appropriate time.

I've no idea how you'd do it without the webserver being installed,.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:25 PM
Sage Icon

I guess he wants a solution specifically using telnet for some reason. Telnet however would make any further control very difficult whereas the webserver makes it as easy as changing that "PowerOFF" in the URL to any other command.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaffia View Post
My kids like to hijack the tuners by falling asleep with the TV on.
I want to schedule a reboot of both MVP's every night.
?
YOu could use nielm's autosleep timer, http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...34&postcount=9 , to automatically sleep the MVPs if nobody is watching TV. that should release the tuner for you.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Sage Expert

I really was wondering if there was a batch file that I could use to reboot as an automated schedule event. It seems that I will not be able to do so.
I will try the autosleep time. That might do the trick too.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
YOu could use nielm's autosleep timer, http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...34&postcount=9 , to automatically sleep the MVPs if nobody is watching TV. that should release the tuner for you.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:32 AM
Sage Advanced User

More Auto Sleep development. please!

v1.1 is a great start. There are other features I'd like to see incorperated. Such as...

Screen Saver Aware. Start a timer once the screen saver kicks in, which spoft powers off the MVP. My power bill could use the relief!

When my MVP is powered off with the remote, the TV times out, and shuts off a couple minutes later too. This would save me from paying for a bouncing SageTV logo for coutless hours.
Intel Skulltrail D5400XS, Dual Quad Core Xeon L5420, Windows Server 2012 R2 on 200Gb partition, 32Gb RAM, 8x WD 2Tb RE4 RAID6 on LSI 9690SA-8I (DVD/Blu-Ray), 2x 4Tb HDDs (TV), Colossus, 2x HD-PVR, HDHR3 Prime, DirectTV STB, USB-UIRT, Sage v2 v3 v4 v5 v6 v7.1.9, Java v1.6 build 45, 3 Placeshifter licenses, and 3 HD-300's.
Plugins: Phoenix API, PlayOn For SageTV, Comskip Playback, YouTube, Nielm's Sage Utiities
Software: PlayOn, ComSkip Monitor, ComSkip