SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-09-2006, 10:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

6150/430 chip set enough?

Hi,

I am buying a couple of plasmas and building comps to run them. I like the idea of a slim line computer run off of a mobile cpu and a 6150/430 board (not 420, cant edit title of thread).
Supposedly the 6150/430 chip set does HD, but wanted to get all of your expert opinions on it.

FYI, will not be doing any gaming, just HDTV.

How does the 6150/430 do?

for HDTV only, compared to a 6600GT?

or other cards?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have a Foxconn with the 6150 chipset, but unfortunately no plasma. It displays SD great, I have had zero problems with it. I used to have a 6600 running off another mobo, and I really can't tell the difference between the 6600 and the 6150. If I get some time this weekend or next week, I'll see if I can hookup a monitor and try some HD playback. I don't have an HD tuner, but there shouldn't be any issues.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:49 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have several 6150/430 setups in service and they drive HDTV's perfectly. I'm using the Asus A8N-VM CSM boards. Two have A64 3000+'s in them, the other has an Opteron 144 in it.

Two are driving Sony 50" SXRD set's, the other is driving a 26" Sharp Aquous.

Viewing OTA HDTV from my Fusion 5 Lite works great, and looks damn good. Just as good as viewing HD direct from a cable box.

I'll be putting another one of those combos in place to drive my 50" Sony Grand Wega LCD pretty soon too.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Are you guys using overlay or VMR9?
Old 06-10-2006, 11:20 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endymion
I have a Foxconn with the 6150 chipset, but unfortunately no plasma. It displays SD great, I have had zero problems with it. I used to have a 6600 running off another mobo, and I really can't tell the difference between the 6600 and the 6150. If I get some time this weekend or next week, I'll see if I can hookup a monitor and try some HD playback. I don't have an HD tuner, but there shouldn't be any issues.
Hi Endymion,

Would you mind posting which exact motherboard you have? I also have the Foxconn 6150 board and I have a very unusual problem that is driving me crazy resolving. It works fine for everything EXCEPT DVD playback. For some reason, I get a 'bsod' stating "nv4disp.dll is in an infinite loop", etc. I've tried both the Sage decoders, and the Nvidia decoders with TheaterTek to no avail. Even tried complete 'nuke and pave' of Windows XP sp2, and different Nvidia drivers each time to no avail.

Have you ever seen anything like this on yours?

-PGPfan
Old 06-11-2006, 05:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

I've been using the MSI K8NGM2-FID for the past few months. I've got it running stably now for the past month and it works very well.

I'm running a 42" plasma at 1280x768 through the DVI port.

Using the purevideo decoder and running sage with VMR9 with FSE enabled just fine.

I'm also recording HD content over the built-in firewire port and playback of HD content is fine as well. I notice just a touch of choppiness with the CBS content, not sure why, but it's hardly noticeable.

My configuration:
MSI K8NGM2-FID
A64 X2 3800+ (overclocked slightly to 2.3Ghz, stock voltage, CnQ enabled)
1GB Dual Channel Corsair
Hauppauge PVR 500
Hauppauge PVR 250
2x PATA drives
1x SATA2 drive

I think the system is currently a little overkill, but I'm also trying to do encoding as well.

In my experience, it's enough. I don't know if it'll be able to handle 1080p content, though.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:34 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGPfan
Hi Endymion,

Would you mind posting which exact motherboard you have? I also have the Foxconn 6150 board and I have a very unusual problem that is driving me crazy resolving. It works fine for everything EXCEPT DVD playback. For some reason, I get a 'bsod' stating "nv4disp.dll is in an infinite loop", etc. I've tried both the Sage decoders, and the Nvidia decoders with TheaterTek to no avail. Even tried complete 'nuke and pave' of Windows XP sp2, and different Nvidia drivers each time to no avail.

-PGPfan
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the 6150K8MA-8EKRS. Actually, I haven't even tried DVD playback in it, since I ususally rip my dvd's and re-encode, so they don't get messed up. I can pop a disk in and check later tho. I'll also see what vid driver version I'm using.
Oh, and I do have some DVD's ripped to Vob files that play just fine.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:11 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Hi Endymion,

-PGPfan
Stupid question, but are you using component output at >480p resolution? Retail/Protected DVDs don't allow that, and I believe the Nvidia output probably complies just like my ATI component adapter. There are solutions. (but we're not allowed to talk about them here)
Old 06-12-2006, 06:02 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_95sl1
Stupid question, but are you using component output at >480p resolution? Retail/Protected DVDs don't allow that, and I believe the Nvidia output probably complies just like my ATI component adapter. There are solutions. (but we're not allowed to talk about them here)
Not a stupid question at all. I don't use component out, just VGA to a CRT projector. As for retail/protected DVD's, my copy of AnyDVD takes care of all that so I don't think that is the problem. Thanks for the suggestion though.

-PGPfan
Old 06-12-2006, 06:04 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endymion
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the 6150K8MA-8EKRS. Actually, I haven't even tried DVD playback in it, since I ususally rip my dvd's and re-encode, so they don't get messed up. I can pop a disk in and check later tho. I'll also see what vid driver version I'm using.
Oh, and I do have some DVD's ripped to Vob files that play just fine.
Thanks, Endymion. I have that same board. If it's not too much trouble, could you also get the bios version you are using? Thanks Again!

-PGPfan
Old 06-14-2006, 07:14 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
Are you guys using overlay or VMR9?

I'm using VMR9 with the Purevideo Decoder. Great picture.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:48 AM
Sage Fanatic

Bhyman1,

Are you using the Foxconn version of this chipset as well? If no, what board are you using?

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 06-16-2006, 02:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Bhyman1,

Are you using the Foxconn version of this chipset as well? If no, what board are you using?

-PGPfan

Asus A8N-VM CSM