SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-08-2006, 01:56 PM
Sage User

Using Sage 5.x.x with USB-UIRT and Shaw Cable TV from Canada

My plans are to run SageTV 5.x.x with a USB-UIRT box to control my Shaw Cable TV (Shaw Cable is the name of the cable company). Shaw uses digital TV, so that is why you need a STB/reciever for teh signal. My question is, will I be able to use a USB-UIRT with SageTV and my Shaw box to have Sagetv change the channels when it needs to (ie. I program something)?

I picture the USB-UIRT like a generic universal remote control. When you buy these things in the store, you need to program it with the type of TV/VCR/etc you will be using it with. How do you configure SageTV/USB-UIRT to work with a Shaw Cable box?

Sorry if this is a silly question
Old 06-10-2006, 07:45 AM
Sage Advanced User

Currently works ok

Hey Hello,

I'm on Shaw Digital Cable in Vancouver, BC using SageTV 5.04 with a USB-UIRT.

It is working well.

This is for an already running SageTV using a Shaw Cable connection and adding Shaw Digital Cable.
For the Extended Basic channels (regular cable) channels 2 through 58/59 and a few higher ones (in Vancouver) you do not need a SetTopBox as the TV tuner card can tune them on its own. You only need the STB for digital channels.

(during the initial setup after install you can configure all this during the Setup Wizard)

From the Main Menu
select Setup
select Detailed Setup
select Commands
select Remote Control Configuration
choose USB-UIRT Receiver + Any Remote
(if you want to use a IR remote to control SageTV it will need to be configured in the Link Infrared Keystroke to SageTV Command above).

select Setup Menu to setup a capture device to use the USB-UIRT

Under Setup Video Sources
select Add New Source,
choose the tuner (Hauppauge WinTV PVR II Capture #2,on mine),
select S-Video as the input and wait for the preview picture and sound to appear, (unless you want to try composite)
select Device Input to use : S-Video,
select External Cable or Satellite receiver to tune channel,
select USB-UIRT Tranceiver,
select MotDCT2000USBUIRT, you can use up to three different zones (or two additional independant IR leds) with the USB-UIRT
select Use US, Canada, or XMLTV Guide Data with this Source,
select Cable or Satellite,
Enter your Postal Code,
choose Shaw Cablesystems Digital - Your City then it will download the channel lineup
select Extended Basic Service if this is what you have then it will give you a full channel lineup, the extended basic channels (regular cable) are already selected, but any digital channels you want, will need to be added/choosen to put them in the lineup.
When finished adding channels click Done With Channel Setup

The first two lines of my USB-UIRT config file (MotDCT2000USBUIRT.ir) are modified to: (edited of course while SageTV is not running)
-
MotDCT2000USBUIRT 37616 411 3 150 250
RepeatCount 5
-
otherwise I have channel change problems when the cpu usage goes high (too long between digits and the STB forgets the previous digits and gets confused).

Hope this helps,
Bobby

Last edited by perfessor101; 06-10-2006 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:33 AM
Sage User

Wow Bobby Thank you for the EXACT answer I was looking for! Cool