SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-30-2006, 03:00 PM
Sage User

running as service not passing credentials correctly

Hi Everyone,

I am having issues when running as a service, no files on network shares are available for playback. It gives an error stating they no longer exist.

When I disable the service basically running as the logged in user, it plays all files just fine.

To clarify--the service is configured and can log in and start but it appears that when trying to access a network resource, the credentials aren't passing.

Any advice or help is welcome. I'd rather run as a service if possible.

Regards,

Parley
Old 05-30-2006, 03:03 PM
Administrator

There is a blurb in the manual about accessing network paths when using the service, starting on p. 15 for v5.

How are you trying to access the network paths? The service can't access mapped drive letters & UNC paths require that the service log in as a user w/a password, and that user has to have premission to access those network locations.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

service with domain?

Ok, slightly off topic, is there something special that needs to be done when you are running on a windows domain? I can never get sage to accept the user/password combo even though that user is a domain administrator. sage is running on a winXP pro box. Any tricks I should try. I've tried creating a local user that mirrors the domain user settings.

Thanks,
Nick
Old 05-30-2006, 03:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_l
Ok, slightly off topic, is there something special that needs to be done when you are running on a windows domain? I can never get sage to accept the user/password combo even though that user is a domain administrator. sage is running on a winXP pro box. Any tricks I should try. I've tried creating a local user that mirrors the domain user settings.

Thanks,
Nick
try

DOMAINNAME\username
password

You also need to make sure that this domain user can logon as a service. Just add the username using the Windows service manager and it will ask you if you want to allow the user to logon as a service.

-Polen
Old 05-30-2006, 04:45 PM
Sage User

Thanks Everyone. I'll put the networked files through UNC paths...and make sure it works.

Parley

Update: It is working very well...UNC paths were the ticket.

Last edited by lparkin; 06-03-2006 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

Remember, when you install a SageTV upgrade, you need to re-enter the service startup credentials. For some reason, the installer removes then reinstalls the SageTV service, whacking your settings.

Come on people... if the install path and .EXE name don't change, you don't need to reinstall the service!
Old 05-31-2006, 09:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

DOH...

Polen, thanks for the reply. I know how to do that and ive done it several times before, to no avail. I tried it again last night after reading your post and It took the credentials!! I guess I might have to chalk it up to human error, much as I hate to admit it. Of course, I also upgraded to 5.03 at the same time, so perhaps Ill credit that as the cause

Of course, this brings another problem to light. Now when Sage is parsing my import directories, its getting hung up on something or other, and making my clients unresponsive. I remember reading some other posts on this in the past, so I guess I have more research to do.

Thanks for the help,
Nick