SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-30-2006, 07:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

Sage TV Client won't work when SageTV runs as a "Service"

I am having this problem with version 5.0 (the little menu that pops up asking if you want to run SageTV as a service - it has start/stop service button as well as auto restart after 1 minute feature).

When SageTV is running on my HTPC, I can only connect my SageTV Client when it is running in normal mode (set to run at startup or if you open it manually). If I run SageTV as a "service" in windows xp, I can never connect my Sage TV Client to it (even if i open sage tv manually on my htpc while the service is running. I have even tried adding the "Sage TV Service" to the permission set in the firewall settings. I have also tried running the service as "LocalUser" and it always gives errors about passwords not being mapped and I have also tried running the service under my main login (with admin priv).

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 05-30-2006, 08:39 AM
Administrator

First, when running in service mode, running the UI on the server PC will have nothing to do with whether a client can connect.

Second, thre must be some sort of firewall or permissions setting that is being missed if you can connect the client in non-service mode. There is a FAQ entry about the ports that need to be open on the server PC's firewall.

If you try to have the service log on with a user name, that user must have a password. And, the user will need permission to access all the recording dirs -- if any are mapped letters, the service can't access them at all.

You could try enabling debug logging to see what happens when you run in service mode if changing the firewall and/or permissions doesn't work.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:51 AM
Sage Advanced User

Well, I guess maybe the ports are blocked in the firewall? The first time I used the client with the server running in "non-service mode", I got a question asking if i want to allow the program, and i did. When i try running it as a service, I get no such message asking if i want to allow the program access...

I guess I have to mess around and try to figure out how to allow ports on a service...
Old 05-30-2006, 09:26 AM
Sage Aficionado

Temporarily turn off the firewall and see if it connects. I have all my internal (soft)firewalls turned off permanently.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:33 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezolution
I am having this problem with version 5.0 (the little menu that pops up asking if you want to run SageTV as a service - it has start/stop service button as well as auto restart after 1 minute feature).

When SageTV is running on my HTPC, I can only connect my SageTV Client when it is running in normal mode (set to run at startup or if you open it manually). If I run SageTV as a "service" in windows xp, I can never connect my Sage TV Client to it (even if i open sage tv manually on my htpc while the service is running. I have even tried adding the "Sage TV Service" to the permission set in the firewall settings. I have also tried running the service as "LocalUser" and it always gives errors about passwords not being mapped and I have also tried running the service under my main login (with admin priv).

Anyone have any ideas?
I had the exact same problem for a long time and no matter how often I posted about it, nobody knew how to fix it. So I decided to email support and got a response from a guy named George Oms and this is what he said:

"Try this. Go to your control panel > Administrative Tools > Services. Look
for the SageTV service and double click on it to configure it. Go to the
"Log On" tab and check the box to "Allow service to interact with desktop"."

Once I had checked that box, SageTV in service mode has worked ever since. Give it a try and see if it works for you too.