SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-22-2003, 02:19 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via AIM to laurenglenn Send a message via MSN to laurenglenn
Xcard ? Does it work with SageTV?

I was thinking of buying an Xcard for my PC. Does this work with DScaler and/or SageTV? I currently have PowerDVD and was wondering if the card can work by itself or use the PowerDVD codec in SageTV.

Thanks,
Lauren
Old 03-22-2003, 02:21 PM
SageTV Co-Founder

It looks like it does, see SHS's comments in this post.:
http://www.freytechnologies.com/foru...s=&threadid=58
Old 03-22-2003, 07:42 PM

DScaler is not need with the Xcard it dose this automatic in windows mode or Passthur cable and dosen't need any MPEG2 soft decoder drv been the Xcard it pure MPEG2 hardware decoder, But laurenglenn keep in mind you need use the VIP port if want on PC monitor or have to hook Xcard up to reg TV set but there a downside this there no OSD when hook it up to the TV set hope lee this change soon as Xcard SDK come out so that Jeff can add OSD support to it being the Xcard only dose Fullscreen like Voodoo1/2 dose when using the passthur cable this why jeff will need the Xcard SDK so he can make use of Xcard build in OSD and so it can be switch in and out of full screen when using the passthur cable.
So laurenglenn this depend on the video you have work fine most older nVidia, ATI card that have 26 pin VIP header Port I tested ATI 3D RagePro 4MB AGP and nVidia RIVA 4MB AGP and nVidia GF2 MX 400 how ever you need make the cable your self I can tell how to this.
Old 03-31-2003, 05:17 PM
Sage Expert

That's fine. I use the TV to watch DVDs off my computer, so if I have a SVGA monitor and hook the component outputs to my SDTV (which should work because it looks like it supports 480i -- even the Xbox does) and control it without affecting playback.

Thanks,
Lauren
Old 04-07-2003, 03:47 AM
Sage Advanced User

Is there any other details about Xcard and SageXX together or is it still in it's early stages?

Sounds like a fantastic idea, but I'm not 100% clear on what is available on what output so far. Will the SageTV/Rec OSD be present on the Xcard TV output? If so, do you need to connect the VIP cable, or is this only to get the Xcard output, back to the PC monitor.

What I'm hoping the reply will be is "yes, you can plug your TV into the Xcard and continue to use the PC as before and not use the monitor output".

Also, I see it comes with a remote control. How does this work seeing as my Provideo 256T also comes with a remote control!
Which one is master? Seems a bit of an overkill to have two remotes. Don't suppose there is an Xcard with less extras?
Old 04-07-2003, 05:33 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by Xleon
Is there any other details about Xcard and SageXX together or is it still in it's early stages?

Sounds like a fantastic idea, but I'm not 100% clear on what is available on what output so far. Will the SageTV/Rec OSD be present on the Xcard TV output? If so, do you need to connect the VIP cable, or is this only to get the Xcard output, back to the PC monitor.

What I'm hoping the reply will be is "yes, you can plug your TV into the Xcard and continue to use the PC as before and not use the monitor output".

Also, I see it comes with a remote control. How does this work seeing as my Provideo 256T also comes with a remote control!
Which one is master? Seems a bit of an overkill to have two remotes. Don't suppose there is an Xcard with less extras?
I imagine the Xcard remote is only for when you're using the Xcard software. BTW, if you have a TV, VCR, DVD, Tivo, etc., you have more than one remote also....

Why would you want less extras? You don't have to use the second remote.... Also, SageTV lets you program with your remote manually, so it probably wouldn't be an issue.

You can control SageTV with your monitor and display the output with the xCard. It's not ideal for now, but then there are many video cards with dual outputs that will display only the DirectX overlay full-screen on the TV if set that way. (my old nVidia PofS was one of them)

From what I've heard, the system would only output the MPEG video w/o the OSD. Someone said that if Jeff or someone else gets the SDK that they may be able to do something to display the OSD. If they did, I'd purchase the Xcard not just for the OSD and hardware MPEG, but because of the component output. My SDTV can do 480i (as I imagine most SDTVs can). From judging with my XBox with component output, I imagine it would look fairly good....

Lauren
Old 04-07-2003, 05:59 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for your reply Lauren.

>> Why would you want less extras?

It just seemed a waste having two remotes for the PC. It doesn't matter as you say. I already own a Philips Pronto, so more remotes won't be a problem ;-) I realise now you'd use one for the DVD app and the other for Sage apps.

I'm interested in the Xcard because it would be great to have either RGB Scart or component output to drive my LCD projector. SVHS is pretty good, but progressive scan component would be ideal and would save me having to buy a progressive scan DVD player. If the Xcard had the OSD it would be bost of all worlds, otherwise I could probably wire the TV inputs so I could see the PC for control and the Xcard for output.

The cards are about £80 here in the UK, so I'm just being cautious before commiting myself to purchasing the Xcard.

It brings up an idea. If you are watching the Xcard with no OSD, would it be possible in the future to have a kind of 'plugin' system where we could have a plugin to have a small HD44780 LCD on the parallel port displaying simple information like time playing / time left etc.?
Old 04-07-2003, 08:54 AM

Quote:
"Xleon" What I'm hoping the reply will be is "yes, you can plug your TV into the Xcard and continue to use the PC as before and not use the monitor output".
Yes the Xcard will use TV output automatic but you will not see the SageTV OSD on the TVset it self it be display on PC monitor.
Just give idea on what I'm ref by Xcard OSD see the JovePlayer on what they have done with it so far.
As for Xcard remote control jeff would have wirte plug-in API for it so from what I have read it COM components other is to program the serial port to get information coming from the receiver.