SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 05-25-2006, 02:41 AM
Sage Aficionado

UK Media Extender - Aspect Ratio

I am using a UK, Scart version of the Media Extender with Sage v5. Playing back UK DVB-T signals - most of then in 16:9 format - and using SageMC16x9.

Until yesterday I was using this on a Standard Definition PAL 4:3 TV, and it worked fine; I was pleasantly surprised to see that it effectively just cut off the sides of the broadcast, so I didn't even get the letterbox effect. And the Sage MC 16x9 interface wasn't stretched out of position, either - it just had the sides cut off too.

Yesterday I received delivery of a 16:9 TV. And found that the MVP still kicks out a 4:3 signal - if I set the TV to 16:9 then I get the SageMC interface stretched, with the sides still cut off. And the same with playback of 16:9 recordings - the MVP still cuts the sides off, so setting the TV to 16:9 just stretches the already reduced image.

Is this a known issue? I haven't submitted a bug report yet as I want to try it with the standard Sage STV and with the Hauppauge's own software.

(Forgot to mention - I have gone into detailed setting and changed the aspect ratio; it makes no difference. Or more accurately, set to anything other than fill it kicks out a 4:3 image with black bars the whole way round!)
Old 05-26-2006, 04:05 AM
Sage Aficionado

I can't be the only person trying to play 16:9 format MPEG on a widescreen TV using the extender... does it work on the US version?

I'm hoping it's a SageMC issue, as I'd just be blown away if there wasn't more discussion about it not playing 16:9 MPEGs! Bit fundamental.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:05 AM
Sage Advanced User

My PAL MVP (no scart out but S-video) doesn't cut the sides off either the video or the sage UI using either the default STV or SageMC (but I am using analog captures, is it possible that something is encoded in the broadcast DVB signal?)

Eric
Old 05-29-2006, 02:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hauppauge analogue capture is always captured at 4:3. I have my Sky box set to 16:9 - the Hauppauge captures a 4:3 recording with everything stretched vertically, which the MVP can play as is, and then I can tell the TV to stretch it horizontally again to recover the 16:9 image. But DVB-T is captured as it is sent, a 16:9 signal.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:10 AM
Sage Aficionado

Just in case anyone else is interested, I carried out some tests this morning. Using a recording of "Emma" where the opening credits are to either side of the picture, captured from DVB-T in a 16:9 format.

Using the latest MediaMVP release, I could set the output to 16:9 in settings. I could then play back the file and see the full names of the actors.

Stopping the MediaMVP services and starting Sage up again, using the default SageTV3.xml STV, I played the same file. The names of the actors were only half visible, as only the centre section of the image was displayed - it had been cut to display only a 4:3 image.

I have raised a support request on this. I'm not currently sure whether it is that Sage are failing to use the ability of the MVP to play 16:9 files, or whether it is that the MVP software cleverly squeezes 16:9 files to 4:3 format before sending them to the MVP, allowing the MVP to play them and the TV then to expand them again at a loss of some detail.

Last edited by Mahoney; 05-31-2006 at 05:22 AM.