SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 05-27-2006, 12:36 PM
Sage

I think it's a megabyte.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:05 PM
SageTVaholic

For some unknown reason my wireless MVP started acting up today. It started rebooting on the first keystroke after a few minutes of inactivity and the video started stuttering. It had been working flawlessly and I have changed nothing at all.

I tried rebooting the server, MVP, access point, router and switch (the AP is on a switch connected to the main router) all to no avail. I looked to see if a neighbor had installed some new wireless gear as well.

Really strange. Obviously something has changed but where else to look?

Update: I finally got it working wirelessly but now it does NOT work with the wired network. After several gyrations of powering off, rebooting, etc. I went back to the old standby of stopping Sage and installing the Hauppauge software using the wired LAN. This initially failed. I unplugged the AP just to make sure there was no "conflict" between the wired and wireless connection. Still nothing.

While going through the MVP setup screens to select the "preferred" network I noticed it was telling me that my wired LAN was WEP enabled and I had the wrong WEP key! There did not appear to be any way to tell the MVP that my wired LAN did not use WEP. I am no expert on the subject but I did not think it was possible to use WEP on a wired LAN.

I thought maybe the MVP firmware was corrupt but I could not find any way to completely reset it to the factory defaults. Has anybody else found out how to do that?

After hitting that dead end I plugged in the AP back in, rebooted the MVP, selected the wireless network and viola, it worked. I still can't get it to work on the LAN.

I am chalking all of this up to the fact that I am still using the 2.03 MVP. Hopefully the 2.05 unit will clear up some of this odd behavior.

Also, FWIW I noticed that if you have three "bars" as a signal strength you may or may not get jerky video using DVD Extra Long Play quality. At 4 or 5 bars the video is very smooth. I'm using a D-Link AP. (I tried a cheap Belkin AP as well but that was terrible, the video was jerky no matter what I did.)

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.

Last edited by tmiranda; 05-28-2006 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:34 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via Yahoo to cmaffia
I would assume anything odd you are experiencing is due to the fact that you been accidently shipped a unit with a condemned firmware version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda
I am chalking all of this up to the fact that I am still using the 2.03 MVP. Hopefully the 2.05 unit will clear up some of this odd behavior.
Server: Dual Tuner: PVR-150MCE/PVR-250MCE/SageTV v5.02/Asus Pundit-R 2.4GHZ/512MB DDR RAM/250 GB Maxtor HD (8MB Buffer) External Seagate 400GB HD via USB 2.0/Onboard ATI 9100 using SVIDEO TV-Out/Nvidia DVD decoder/Actisys 200L IR Blaster (Dish receiver) USBUIRT (DirectTV receiver)/Lite-On 4X DVD-R/RW/Windows XP Pro SP2/Adesso Mini IR Keyboard w/integrated mouse/Tivo "Peanut" Remote via USBUIRT/Dish Network Model 301/DirectTV subscriber/Webserver Plugin v2.8
Old 05-31-2006, 07:06 PM
SageTVaholic

My new unit arrived today and it is version 2.05. That's one piece of good news. The second piece of good news is that the wired connection as well as the wireless connection works. Now for the bad news; it still reboots itself on the first keypress after a few minutes of inactivity.

Here is the debug log. The line with the timestamp "Wed 5/31 20:54:48.468" is the first line after pressing the OK button on the remote after letting the MVP sit idle for a few minutes. Any ideas? Should I submit a bug report on this?
Attached Files
File Type: txt sagetv_0.txt (55.2 KB, 167 views)

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:17 PM
Sage

tmiranda,

Your MVP had lost it's connection about 5 minutes before you hit the OK button. This is when it happened:

Wed 5/31 20:19:34.785 Exception in the MiniUIClientReceiver of: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
Wed 5/31 20:19:34.786 at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
Wed 5/31 20:19:34.786 at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
Wed 5/31 20:19:34.787 at java.io.FilterInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
Wed 5/31 20:19:34.787 at sage.bj$a.run(Unknown Source)

Then when you hit OK and the MVP tries to talk back to the server it realizes the connection is dead and then reloads itself. I'd be suspicious of the networking equipment you're using. You may also want to set the SageTV screen saver to something really short like a few minutes if you can't find the network problem so you can keep the traffic flowing between the MVP and the server.

Let me know the results.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks for the quick reply. Right now the screensaver is set to 0 which (I assume) disables it. Are you saying if I set it to 5 minutes (or something similar) that will keep the network traffic going and hence keep the MVP connection alive? How does the screensaver effect the network connection?

Old 05-31-2006, 07:44 PM
Sage

SageTV will keep drawing the logo at different positions which requires it to send new drawing commands to the MVP. That's the traffic.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Got it. Last night I set the screensaver timeout to 2 minutes and it seems to keep the wireless link alive. I'll have to do some more testing over the next few days to be sure but so far it looks promising.

I'm not sure why the link gets dropped but if simply setting the screensaver to 2 minutes fixes the problem I can live with it. I'm using a D-Link AP which has served me well for a year, no problems whatsoever.

Thanks for the help. The fact that you personally respond to many posts shows your dedication to your product and to your customers. I'm impressed.

Old 06-01-2006, 05:54 AM
Sage Aficionado

Did I miss something here? When did you guys start supporting WMV? I guess I can move my home movies over to my Sage server now finally. Any word on support of MOV files?
Thanks

Proud owner of a HD200 connected to a 47" LCD. Loving Sage 7 and Phoenix