SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-17-2006, 11:39 AM
Sage Expert

Encoder/decoder issues with V5

I am having a slew of new problems with v5 that I never had before with earlier versions.

I'm getting video stuttering, like a strobe effect, no video and most recently, sound dropping out.

I purchased Sonic Decoder and it has worked very well for me up until this version.

Appearantly the install process of v5 sets the SAGE TV decoder (decoder/encoder I get em confused, but you rknow what I mean) as the default. This works, but I get high CPU usage with this setup (21-30%) when I would get only 10-15% with the Sonic.

If I'm using the Sonic encoders (for both video and audio) I sometimes get blank video, or a DirectX error when starting a video. I'm also noticeing a a pause before the sound kicks in (but it comes on in sync) of about 2 seconds. Sometimes I get no sound. SOmetimes when I get no sound, I can pause and play (toggle my remote to start and stop playback) and get the sound to come on. But only sometimes.

?????

Short of Formatting drive C, and starting over (which I'm tempted to anyways for of ther reasons (clean out reg of other non used programs and glitches from other SAGE issues of past) what can I do?
Old 05-17-2006, 11:50 AM
SageTVaholic

What you're dealing with are decoders. But I think your on the right track with the "nuke and pave". Just back up your wiz.bin so you've got your viewing history and everything. As much as a pain as it is this is usually the best way.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:03 PM
Sage Icon

YEP - I've been saying this myself in several posts. Check your CPU resources as they are probably up to 60-90%. Best thing to do is change your Video Renderer to Overlay. Overlay seems to take about 10% resources for me, DEFAULT (20-40% resources), VMR9 (60-90% CPU resources).

Mike
Old 05-17-2006, 09:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1961
YEP - I've been saying this myself in several posts. Check your CPU resources as they are probably up to 60-90%. Best thing to do is change your Video Renderer to Overlay. Overlay seems to take about 10% resources for me, DEFAULT (20-40% resources), VMR9 (60-90% CPU resources).

Mike
VMR9 uses about 10-20% for me on an XP3200. If it's using 60-90% on a modern processor you have a problem.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:57 PM
Sage Icon

Blade - only since upgrading to the latest version did VMR9 use all my CPU resources but I'm fine with Overlay at 10% resources.

Mike