SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 12:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_X View Post
Thanks for your reply.
I haven't changed any key mappings for those keys, so if that is the problem, then it still seems like it's an issue in SageMC, since it works properly in the default STV.
If you think it's a key mapping issue, then it's more likely that SageMC is not detecting the differences between the 34 and 45 button remotes.
Still its very easy to remap the buttons to suit your needs. Thats what I recommend here.

EDIT: "works properly" is really difficult to define here since SageMC is doing what was intended even though it was different than the default SageTV.

Last edited by Brent; 03-25-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thanks for your reply.
I haven't changed any key mappings for those keys, so if that is the problem, then it still seems like it's an issue in SageMC, since it works properly in the default STV.
If you think it's a key mapping issue, then it's more likely that SageMC is not detecting the differences between the 34 and 45 button remotes.
I'd just like to make a quick comment here since this has come up a number of times. Also, I'm not trying to be snippy. I just want to clarify some misconceptions.

SageMC is designed from the ground up and has its own unique feature set. It is not designed nor intended to behave the same way as the default STV. There are many instances where it behaves differently. These are not problems with SageMC, they are just cases where the intended behavior is different.

In the SageMC miniguide, channel up and channel down are used to jump through the channel list to allow quick navigation to the desired channel. If you have those commands mapped to your arrow keys then you will get this behavior. The default STV apparently does not have this feature so you will see no difference between the up + down and up/channel up + down/channel down key mappings.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 03-25-2008, 02:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui View Post
I'd just like to make a quick comment here since this has come up a number of times. Also, I'm not trying to be snippy. I just want to clarify some misconceptions.

SageMC is designed from the ground up and has its own unique feature set. It is not designed nor intended to behave the same way as the default STV. There are many instances where it behaves differently. These are not problems with SageMC, they are just cases where the intended behavior is different.
I'm sure this is confusing for many new users of SageTV/SageMC - especially when they open up the very long SageTV PDF manual.

Just to add to to Mikes comment I think SageMC is so good anymore that many people install SageMC right after they install SageTV (default UI). This fact and the fact that it is so robust does give the impression that it's just another part of SageTV. Unfortunately the truth is that while SageMC does get care and attention of the folks at SageTV, it is coded and updated by Mike and Dirk. On top of the coding, both of these guys often put in their free time to answer questions on SageMC and it is appreciated by all of us.

A while back I started a complete list of keyboard shortcuts and it has grown into more of a "what keys do what", how to remap keys and how to set up varous remote controls and such. All of it in a kind of tutorial format that is easier to get through than a long manual. I've added many of the unique things about SageMC including some keyboard shortcut differences that Mike gave me as well.

Maybe I could do a Part 3 of my writeup on SageMC that outlines the "behaviour" differences of SageMC vs. SageTV Default. Don't know if that would help anyone or not though.

Last edited by Brent; 03-25-2008 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:33 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the info.
I guess as a new user my concern (after learning the answer) was that others may run into this same problem and I guess it's up to the authors to decide if it's something that should be addressed.

I'm happy that at least there's an easy answer to the problem so thank you very much!

On a different note - 6000+ posts under this topic?
Shouldn't SageMC get it's own subforum? Yikes!
Old 03-25-2008, 02:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thanks for the info.
I guess as a new user my concern (after learning the answer) was that others may run into this same problem and I guess it's up to the authors to decide if it's something that should be addressed.

I'm happy that at least there's an easy answer to the problem so thank you very much!

On a different note - 6000+ posts under this topic?
Shouldn't SageMC get it's own subforum? Yikes!
Yeah it is a monster isn't it. This is a topic that has been discussed several times with no resolution. Many times folks just start a new SageMC topic under the customizations category, but most just post right here. Even more amazing is this is probably the third round of SageMC incarnations on the forums so there are other really-long threads about older versions of SageMC as well.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:07 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Yeah it is a monster isn't it. This is a topic that has been discussed several times with no resolution. Many times folks just start a new SageMC topic under the customizations category, but most just post right here. Even more amazing is this is probably the third round of SageMC incarnations on the forums so there are other really-long threads about older versions of SageMC as well.
It's a pet peeve of mine. BTV forums are bad for that but the worst (that I regularly read) is the AVS forum. Trying to find info there is nearly impossible. It's a shame because the best information is actually there, just not well maintained, much as many people do try!

In SageMC's case, it's pretty simple. when a new version comes out, start a new thread... If the forum admin doesn't want to create a new subforum just for SageMC.

Anyway, I'm probably coming across as a complainer - I think I need to talk less and read more! Sorry!!
Old 03-25-2008, 03:13 PM
Sage Fanatic

What timing!
I just switched back to MCE to use Evil's plugin and noticed some features that I miss that are in the default stv.

Please don't take this as a complaining post, I am just wondering if any of these features are currently being considered for future updates.

- Predictive search

- Malore Recordings Menu - I know this is kind of a funny request, but I really like the setup. Seems like I remember someone porting this over.

- If no Malore menus - can there be an option to always group movies in the recordings menu? Right now there is just the option to group, or sort - I would love it if there was an option to group and sort. The reason for this is that I have a bunch of movies recorded and they muddle up my recordings list when I am just trying to find a tv-show to watch.

- An clickable-option to just see DVDs in the My Videos menu.

- A "Clear" option in the current search pop-up, right now there is a backspace assigned to the "Stop" key, and if you click the "Erase" key, it also just does a backspace. Maybe you can have the "Erase" button erase all of the text.

It also seems like there are a few pod-cast categories missing from the Online Services menu, notably the Custom links are missing. Are you pulling from the same .properties files in the OnlineVideos directory?

Thanks for listening, and thanks for all of your efforts. It is certainly a great STV without any of my suggestions.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
In SageMC's case, it's pretty simple. when a new version comes out, start a new thread... If the forum admin doesn't want to create a new subforum just for SageMC.

Anyway, I'm probably coming across as a complainer - I think I need to talk less and read more! Sorry!!
Nah the complaining thing isn't a big deal and Mike just spoke up because theres been a lot of folks thinking SageMC is an official piece of SageTV and therefore supported by the paid guys We're glad to have you here MrX so don't worry about it.

The problem with the "new version" idea for SageMC threads is that SageMC has been more of an evolution rather than a Version 1, 2 and 3. It still could be done though I guess.

Actually I find that the forums here are fairly well maintained - when a dup thread is posted its merged etc.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsagetv99 View Post
What timing!
I just switched back to MCE to use Evil's plugin and noticed some features that I miss that are in the default stv.
Just to avoid confusion by other readers of this - this is called SageMC or SageMC 16x9, not MCE. Not a big deal, but didn't want folks to get confused like I often do...

Quote:
It also seems like there are a few pod-cast categories missing from the Online Services menu, notably the Custom links are missing. Are you pulling from the same .properties files in the OnlineVideos directory?
I'll tackle the easiest from your list. The online videos you see in SageMC is one version older than the one you see in the default SageTV STV. Most new features like this that show up in SageTV will eventually be added to
SageMC some time after the SageTV version comes out of beta and when the developers have the time.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
- Malore Recordings Menu - I know this is kind of a funny request, but I really like the setup. Seems like I remember someone porting this over.
Check this plugin.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
- Predictive search
What do you mean by this? When I search for series it displays a list on the right which automatches what I type, getting more specific the more I type. Works great, and is one of the things I missed when I left DirectTivo way back when.

Quote:
- If no Malore menus - can there be an option to always group movies in the recordings menu? Right now there is just the option to group, or sort - I would love it if there was an option to group and sort. The reason for this is that I have a bunch of movies recorded and they muddle up my recordings list when I am just trying to find a tv-show to watch.
It's kind of already there. Go to the settings menu, "SageMC", and then go to "Main" section, and open the "Screen Specific Options". Select "My TV" and then scroll down on the right - second option from the bottom. Makes all the movies show up in slot one in a folder named "Movies" when you're viewing recordings in "grouped" mode. This is the view I use all the time now.

Quote:
- An clickable-option to just see DVDs in the My Videos menu.
Yeah, I kind of miss this one too.
Clients: 2x HD300, 1x HD200 Extenders, 1x Placeshifter
2x Roku XD
Old 03-26-2008, 09:51 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by big poppa pump View Post
Quick question!

I installed this package yesterday and so far I loving every bit of it..........except for a small nagging problem. After installing this package, I can't use 'skip fwd #2' or 'skip bkwd #2' to advance or go back by 1 day in my guide anymore.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Thanks!
Can somebody please tell me if I can remap the skip fwd #2 and skip bkwd #2 to work in the guide.
Additionally, is it possible to remap the info key on the mce remote to bring up the detailed info on a program rather than the bar that comes on top of the screen.

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2008, 10:03 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
That's the one, I knew I had seen that before. Thanks!
Old 03-26-2008, 10:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Can somebody please tell me if I can remap the skip fwd #2 and skip bkwd #2 to work in the guide.
Additionally, is it possible to remap the info key on the mce remote to bring up the detailed info on a program rather than the bar that comes on top of the screen.

Thanks!
In the detailed settings you can remap any key to any function you want.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:12 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipshod View Post
What do you mean by this? When I search for series it displays a list on the right which automatches what I type, getting more specific the more I type. Works great, and is one of the things I missed when I left DirectTivo way back when.
What I mean is like predictive text on a cellphone where you don't have to hit the number "2" three times to get "C" you just hit it once and then move on to the next letter and Sage guesses(predicts) what you are trying to type based on what is in the recordings database. See the first post of this thread. http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...15&postcount=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipshod View Post
It's kind of already there. Go to the settings menu, "SageMC", and then go to "Main" section, and open the "Screen Specific Options". Select "My TV" and then scroll down on the right - second option from the bottom. Makes all the movies show up in slot one in a folder named "Movies" when you're viewing recordings in "grouped" mode. This is the view I use all the time now.
In grouped mode it sorts by recorded time. I am looking for grouped and sorted by title.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
In the detailed settings you can remap any key to any function you want.
Thanks!

I already tried doing that and it works properly in the default stv. However, once I switch over to sageMC, the keys no longer funcion properly.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:24 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncb View Post
I am trying to remap the Music Jukebox shortcut to one of my sub-menus. I have edited the correct menu item in the main menu that links to my sub-menu to use the Music Jukebox shortcut but it still goes to the My Music screen when I run this command. Is there something I am missing?
Anyone have any ideas about this? I tried remapping "Custom5" instead but none of the shortcuts seem to working when I assign them in the menu options.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Thanks!
Quote:
Thanks!

I already tried doing that and it works properly in the default stv. However, once I switch over to sageMC, the keys no longer funcion properly.
Hmm. That should work so something is "conflicting" here. Do this for me, Go into the SageMC Options (specific to SageMC - not the default STV options) and then select "Enhancements" move your mouse down to "multispeed FF/REW Options" and select it. Here it shuld say what key bindings are assigned to the multispeed FF/REW. If its the same as skip fwd #2 and skip bkwd #2 then its probably the multispeed ff/rew conflicting - not really SageMC. Let me know though cause I'm curious.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Different STVs work differently: an STV is programmed to act in certain ways in response to user input. So, for example, in the default STV, FF2/REW2 can be used to jump a whole day in the Program Guide, while # + FF/FF2/REW/REW2 can be used to jump that # of days. That's how that STV works, but there is no guarantee that another STV has similar functionality because those are STV-controlled actions, not core scrolling actions.

What someone new to SageMC ought to do is mention what you are trying to do & find out if this STV has a way to do it. The base question is: how do you scroll by day in SageMC's guide?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Hmm. That should work so something is "conflicting" here. Do this for me, Go into the SageMC Options (specific to SageMC - not the default STV options) and then select "Enhancements" move your mouse down to "multispeed FF/REW Options" and select it. Here it shuld say what key bindings are assigned to the multispeed FF/REW. If its the same as skip fwd #2 and skip bkwd #2 then its probably the multispeed ff/rew conflicting - not really SageMC. Let me know though cause I'm curious.
This plugin is disabled!
Closed Thread