SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 11:31 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by flachbar
I only have a Celeron with an old MX4000 running Sage Server and Client on my HTPC (at 1360x768), and the SageMC UI is as snappy as it could be, I very seldomly get the spinning icon. I also use java 1.6.0 latest snapshot which seems to be slightly faster than 1.4, but it also runs on java 1.4 just fine ...
Dirk
Are you able to run HD smoothly using that MX4000, or is that just SD? I'm trying to upgrade an old Dimension 4300 so that it can be used as a client, but all I've got is HD OTA, so the 64mb video card doesn't do it for me. I'm looking for the cheapest upgrade possible, and don't really care about noise on this machine. I'd been told I'd need at least a MX5200 or 5500, so I'm definitely curious if you're able to playback HD smoothly using that card... (If so, is it 128? 256?

(sorry for the OT)
Old 10-28-2006, 12:21 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I only have a Celeron with an old MX4000 running Sage Server and Client on my HTPC (at 1360x768), and the SageMC UI is as snappy as it could be, I very seldomly get the spinning icon. I also use java 1.6.0 latest snapshot which seems to be slightly faster than 1.4, but it also runs on java 1.4 just fine ...

One thing to try would be to increase the maximum java heap size for Sage in the registry. If you feel comfortable enough to do this, change

HEKY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Frey Technologies/SageTV/JVMMaxHeapSizeMB to 256 or 512 decimal (512 should be fine if you have 2GB main memory)

Dirk
I just set mine to 256 decimal, and rebooted, restarted Sage client, and now anytime I try to navigate into the sub menus (any of them) the spinning icon starts up, very slow, the next menu sort of appears (like its underlayed from the main menu) and thats where it sits... going on 3 tries now, let it sit at this point for 10 minutes so far. How to fix this one? On this try, I have set the heap back to 0, and same results. Is there some sort of cache file I should wipe out? Java cache?

*edit* A snip from the log file... The VF entries were about 6 pages long, and the AWTThread entries were even longer before I killed...

Code:
Sat 10/28 14:18:31.715 VF processing job null nPlayin=false
Sat 10/28 14:18:31.715 VF thread is now waiting for 0:00:00.000
Sat 10/28 14:18:31.925 VF processing job null nPlayin=false
Sat 10/28 14:18:31.927 VF thread is now waiting for 0:00:00.000
Sat 10/28 14:18:31.930 MsgRecv thread is terminating for /192.168.1.6:42024
Sat 10/28 14:18:31.930 VF processing job null nPlayin=false
Sat 10/28 14:18:31.931 Exception in thread "ConnRecvQueue" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread
Sat 10/28 14:18:31.931 	at java.lang.Thread.start0(Native Method)
Sat 10/28 14:18:31.931 	at java.lang.Thread.start(Unknown Source)
Sat 10/28 14:18:31.931 	at sage.d.a(Unknown Source)
Sat 10/28 14:18:31.931 	at sage.d.a(Unknown Source)
Sat 10/28 14:18:31.931 	at sage.t.else(Unknown Source)
Sat 10/28 14:18:31.931 	at sage.t.void(Unknown Source)
Sat 10/28 14:18:31.932 	at sage.t.null(Unknown Source)
Sat 10/28 14:18:31.933 	at sage.t$6.run(Unknown Source)
Sat 10/28 14:18:31.933 VF thread is now waiting for 0:00:00.000
Sat 10/28 14:18:33.544 AWTThread Hang Detected - hang time = 751
Sat 10/28 14:18:34.294 AWTThread Hang Detected - hang time = 1501

Last edited by Kirby; 10-28-2006 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by toricred
Did we ever get a solution for the black screen when starting SageTV with 6.20a?
We've identified it as a SageTV bug involving the large font size of the temperature in the weather bar, but it doesn't happen to everyone. Unfortunately I haven't had any time to continue characterizing the problem. I guess regardless, one of us should submit a bug report.

Mike

Edit: Bug report submitted. It's a little rough, but at least it should get the ball rolling.

Last edited by MeInMaui; 10-28-2006 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby
How to fix this one? On this try, I have set the heap back to 0, and same results. Is there some sort of cache file I should wipe out? Java cache?
No, there is no Java 'cache' to clear. You actually don't have to reboot for the new setting to take effect, a simple Sage restart will pick up the new value. Something else is going on in your system ... According to the log, java is definetly running out of memory.

I just reset mine back to 0, and it works fine. Did you try to go back to java 1.4.12 ? I would avoid 1.5 because of the known problems anyway ...

Dirk
Old 10-28-2006, 01:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by popechild
Are you able to run HD smoothly using that MX4000, or is that just SD? I'm trying to upgrade an old Dimension 4300 so that it can be used as a client, but all I've got is HD OTA, so the 64mb video card doesn't do it for me. I'm looking for the cheapest upgrade possible, and don't really care about noise on this machine. I'd been told I'd need at least a MX5200 or 5500, so I'm definitely curious if you're able to playback HD smoothly using that card... (If so, is it 128? 256?

(sorry for the OT)
Yeah, should have mentioned that this is SD only. I think there is no way to run HD with anything less than 6xxx. If I'll start with HD recording I definetly will upgrade to a card with a 7xxx chip ...

Dirk
Old 10-28-2006, 01:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDizzy
You know.... one thing I haven't figured out is why, when, using My Music, I can't seem to load up the Queue with songs....

I highlite a song, press Add To Queue, it says, Added To Queue (and you have to click to close popup) but when you check the Queue, it only has the song that is currently playing listed and once the song finishes, that's it....
Hi Jdizzy,

are you running the latest SageMC version ? There has been a known issue with the music queue in the past, but that has been fixed a few versions back. I just checked, and it works fine on my system.

Dirk
Old 10-28-2006, 01:45 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
No, there is no Java 'cache' to clear. You actually don't have to reboot for the new setting to take effect, a simple Sage restart will pick up the new value. Something else is going on in your system ... According to the log, java is definetly running out of memory.

I just reset mine back to 0, and it works fine. Did you try to go back to java 1.4.12 ? I would avoid 1.5 because of the known problems anyway ...

Dirk
I did the reboots because it was doing that weird crap of freezing. So then I gave up. Tore the HTPC apart, and just about to start the OS installation on the new mb/cpu/ram/hd. So hopefully in a few hours I will be back up and running. just wonder if I should install JRE 1.4.2_12 or go back to 1.6.0b99... Probably will do the 1.4.2 route for now.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:31 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Hi Jdizzy,

are you running the latest SageMC version ? There has been a known issue with the music queue in the past, but that has been fixed a few versions back. I just checked, and it works fine on my system.

Dirk
Dirk,

I have noticed a problem with the music queue. I can add albums and songs to the queue, but if I go to Show Queue and then select Clear Queue, it clears them off of that page, but if I go off the screen and come back, they are still there. After I saw that on a client, I went to my server and saw those same files in the queue there and could not delete them there. The only way they drop off is if I play them to completion. Do you see that too? Do all the clients and the server share the same queue?

Morgan
Old 10-28-2006, 03:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan111
Dirk,

I have noticed a problem with the music queue. I can add albums and songs to the queue, but if I go to Show Queue and then select Clear Queue, it clears them off of that page, but if I go off the screen and come back, they are still there. After I saw that on a client, I went to my server and saw those same files in the queue there and could not delete them there. The only way they drop off is if I play them to completion. Do you see that too? Do all the clients and the server share the same queue?

Morgan
Funny thing, I was just debugging the very same issue ... Did you try to clear the queue while it was still playing ? It turns out that this is an issue with the Sage core. Although the code deletes the queue and adds a new empty one, the 'current' playlist in the MediaPlayer will not be affected. I could add code to the 'Clear Queue' button to stop playback if this acceptable ...

And yes, playlists (and the music queue is just a playlist) are shared between all clients. But Sage 6.0 added a new API to get a client-private playlist, I will look into this and see if I can use this for the music queue in SageMC ...

Dirk
Old 10-28-2006, 04:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

Queue

Quote:
Hi Jdizzy,

Dirk
I think I am:

Sage v6.0.12.110 (second version gave me problems, waiting for 3rd)
MC v6.2.0a
Java v1.5.0_02

Thanks Geogecko for telling me how to play an album!

But yeah, Queue does not work when adding individual files....
BTW, Playlists work fine and that is what I am using instead of Queue at the moment just deleting them after I finish....
JD

Last edited by JDizzy; 10-28-2006 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-28-2006, 04:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDizzy

But yeah, Queue does not work when adding individual files....
JD
Try the following:

- shut down Sage
- add/edit sagemc/manage_internal_playlists=true in the property file
- restart Sage
- bring up the playlists screen
- if you see two or more "Music Queue" playlists, delete them
- try adding songs to the queue again

Dirk
Old 10-28-2006, 06:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Queue file

Quote:
Try the following:

- shut down Sage
- restart Sage

Dirk
Dude!
You got it....very good.
I had many, MANY Queue files.

Thanks...
JD
Old 10-29-2006, 09:44 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Try the following:

- shut down Sage
- restart Sage

Dirk
Hey! That lets me clear the queue now. Before I could not clear it if it was playing or not.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:53 AM
Sage Expert

Just an update to my slowness issues. I completely uinstalled Sage, reinstalled it (it's now in the SageTV\SageTV directory), copied my Wiz.bin file back in. The slowness is gone (it did still lock up with the weather bar on the main menu though). Now I have a new problem. In My Videos, only some of the movies are showing their cover art, and even fewer are showing their descriptions. The .my files are there. I tried going back to IMDB and saving again, but still nothing. Rebooted and still nothing. Anyone else have this issue (and hopefully a solution?). Thanks.

Quick update... I just checked some of the .my files and they are empty (title only, no description or anything). For some reason going back to IMDB and saving again does not refresh the file.
Core2Quad Q6600 @ 3GHz, 4 Gig DDR2-800, 8.5 TB storage, 8800GTS PCIe, Windows 7 32bit, Hauppauge HD-PVR, Hauppauge HVR-2250, HD-HomeRun, Fusion 5 USB Gold ATSC, SageTV v7.x, HD100, HD200, HD300, 60" Mitsubishi DLP
Old 10-29-2006, 10:14 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui
Ok. I was able to reproduce the blackscreen/lockup problems. I think I've found the culprit. Please try the attached SageMC xml file and let me know how it goes. Thanks.

The only change is the temperature font size. I reduced it from 200 to 48 and the problems went away. They return if I increase the font size back up slightly (I tested 52). It seems that the black screen / hang occurs when sage has to scale the font down to fit the frame.

Aloha,
Mike
Mike,

I just finished rebuilding my whole HTPC system, clean install of everything, and without installing this test version of yours, I installed 6.2.0a, on first load of the xml file, it worked. Upon restarting Sage, I got the hang. I was about to try this test file out, but found an easy fix. If you edit the properties file, and change:

sagemc/weather_bar_scalefactor=1.0

to

sagemc/weather_bar_scalefactor=0.7

everything works perfectly. I didnt try other scaling factors, because I remember running 0.7 previously. Just wanted to pass this info on. The scale factor shrinks the whole weather panel right, not just modifying the font. So I wonder if its the font being an issue, or the scaling factor (or combination of the two?
Old 10-29-2006, 11:12 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmolnar
I just found a problem with the compact time display. When it's past midnight, the time is being shown as 0:31 for instance. When turning the compact display off, the time is 12:31. Turn it back on, and it's 12:31.

I'm pretty sure it's not using army time, but I never really paid that much attention to it.
just re-visiting this issue, because I dont know if it was discussed. But mine is doing this for any time were it would be 12:xx am or pm. Right now its 0:11PM. Turning off compact clock shows 12:11 pm, but turning compact back on goes back to 0:11pm. For me, it does NOT correct itself with a cycle the compact clock setting.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
just re-visiting this issue, because I dont know if it was discussed. But mine is doing this for any time were it would be 12:xx am or pm. Right now its 0:11PM. Turning off compact clock shows 12:11 pm, but turning compact back on goes back to 0:11pm. For me, it does NOT correct itself with a cycle the compact clock setting.
Will be fixed ...

Dirk
Old 10-29-2006, 11:17 AM
Sage Icon

Cool.. Just wanted you to know that the cycling of the setting didnt fix for me, where it apparently did for clmolnar (unless it was a typo).

I know you are probably busy figuring out what V6 stuff to add in, but if I could request some sort of favorite management system like in V6, so that when you select a show to record (the series record) you are presented with the list of channels that carry that series, and you can force it to one channel from there. The current setup doesnt allow this, so on a favorite that airs on Discovery HD it might also appear on Discovery Science (SD channel) and records the wrong shows. Using the MC option to force to a channel, it doesnt even present Discovery HD as a selectable channel in this case. Unless I am missing something?
Old 10-29-2006, 12:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Cool.. Just wanted you to know that the cycling of the setting didnt fix for me, where it apparently did for clmolnar (unless it was a typo).

I know you are probably busy figuring out what V6 stuff to add in, but if I could request some sort of favorite management system like in V6, so that when you select a show to record (the series record) you are presented with the list of channels that carry that series, and you can force it to one channel from there. The current setup doesnt allow this, so on a favorite that airs on Discovery HD it might also appear on Discovery Science (SD channel) and records the wrong shows. Using the MC option to force to a channel, it doesnt even present Discovery HD as a selectable channel in this case. Unless I am missing something?
Hmm, guess you must be missing something ... I implemented this stuff long time ago before V6 came out (SageMC is often way ahead ), the series recording settings should present you with all channels the series is airing on, followed by all other channels the series is not airing on (marked by a "(!)"). I just tested this again with "Extreme Machines" which airs on the SCIENCE channel and on Discovery HD, and the dialog offers both choices. After I created the favorite with selecting DHD, it scheduled the show on the HD channel. So this doesn't work for you ?

Dirk
Old 10-29-2006, 01:00 PM
Sage Icon

Nope, not working for me. I just added American Chopper as a series. Then into series settings, down to channels. If I click on "+" it starts listing my OTA lineup with "!" and then into my satellite lineup, again all with "!". Discovery HD is no where in the list. In fact Discovery channel (SD version) isnt in the list either!
Closed Thread