SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-06-2006, 08:03 AM
Sage Aficionado

couple of questions

I just started using SageTV on a newly built rig. I downloaded a 30 day trial of Nvidia pure video decoder. In the detailed setup under video/audio I have the option to select Nvidia video decoder, Nvidia video post processor, Sagetv mpeg video decoder and default. Using anything except sagetv mpeg video decoder gives me problems. The two Nvidia choices gives me jittering delays (about the only way I can describe it). Could there be something that I didn't set up right? I've tried to use different combinations of all the options on the detailed setup menu, but nothing works.

My other question is about the USB-UIRT I just bought. When trying to link the infrared commands from my harmony 659 remote to Sagetv I run into an issue. It appears that there is a single 14 digit code that represents any button that I push on my remote preventing me from linking anymore than one command. My remote's signals are set for a Motorola PVR box from charter. I don't see why that would cause any problems, but who knows. I don't think there's anykind of defaults. I guess I could try to set up the remote to another kind of device to see if that works. What do you think?

Thanks,

Craig
Old 05-06-2006, 01:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigap
I just started using SageTV on a newly built rig. I downloaded a 30 day trial of Nvidia pure video decoder. In the detailed setup under video/audio I have the option to select Nvidia video decoder, Nvidia video post processor, Sagetv mpeg video decoder and default. Using anything except sagetv mpeg video decoder gives me problems. The two Nvidia choices gives me jittering delays (about the only way I can describe it). Could there be something that I didn't set up right? I've tried to use different combinations of all the options on the detailed setup menu, but nothing works.
Are you using VMR or Overlay? Also what type of video card do you have?
Old 05-06-2006, 02:47 PM
Sage Icon

craigap - the USB-UIRT is really cool and allows for just about any remote. However, I had a major problem with my DirecTV remote throwing out the same code for the Vol Up and Vol Dn and realized that it was because it was new and it was never programmed for any TV. Once I programmed it to turn the TV on/off I then flipped the slider on the remote over to another device (my Sage box). The idea being that many of these universal remotes will control several devices. The DTV remote has a "volume lock" feature where the volume can control one device on all the switches. If necessary, just try another remote. It should work so long as you correctly installed the USB-UIRT drivers. Some remotes also alternate the IR codes for the same device (I think that would allow for a repeat function but frankly to me it's just plain annoying and set mine up so that it doesn't do that). I actually went a step further and eventually disabled the USB-UIRT remote software in Sage and now use the HIP program instead which allows me to control several applications on my computer and not just Sage (specifically the MAME arcade game application).

Mike
Old 05-06-2006, 05:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
Are you using VMR or Overlay? Also what type of video card do you have?
I'm Using VMR and a 7900GT. I've tried every combination using VMR, Overlay, and Default any I get the same results. (I prefer VMR because I can have transparent menues)
Old 05-06-2006, 05:15 PM
Sage Icon

CraigAp - I had been trying for months to get the NVidia to work with Sage and finally I tried a version back version 1.02.185 instead of 196 and everything worked. There's a really good post by polypro (post #6) on getting NVidia to work.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...light=radlight

It worked, but I've heard the latest version 196 may have some bugs so try a version back.

Mike
Old 05-06-2006, 05:20 PM
SageTVaholic

When using VMR you may need to enable full screen exclusive mode in Sage, but I would think you should be able to play back jitter free using overlay if it's a playback problem.

Is your recording drive formated to 64k blocks? Are the recordings on the same machine your playing them back on or are you using a server/client setup? Do they playback smoothly in Windows Media player when using the Nvidia decoder?

Last edited by blade; 05-06-2006 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
Is your recording drive formated to 64k blocks? Are the recordings on the same machine your playing them back on or are you using a server/client setup? Do they playback smoothly in Windows Media player when using the Nvidia decoder?
My HDD is solely dedicated to my DVR and it is formatted to 64k blocks. I'm recording from tuner to HDD in the same machine and the video plays fine when playing from windows media player, but I don't know what its using or how to check. Nvidia is the only DVD decoder I have loaded on my PC (I think, anyway)

EDIT: I ran the Decoder checkup utility and the only decoders I have installed are the Nvidia and Sage ones. Nvidia is set as preffered.

Last edited by craigap; 05-06-2006 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1961
CraigAp - I had been trying for months to get the NVidia to work with Sage and finally I tried a version back version 1.02.185 instead of 196 and everything worked. There's a really good post by polypro (post #6) on getting NVidia to work.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...light=radlight

It worked, but I've heard the latest version 196 may have some bugs so try a version back.

Mike
I tried everything from the link you gave me. Still not working. I've been looking for a the previous version of the Nvidia decoder, but I can't find anything that I am able to install. I found some old versions, but I don't know if those are the full versions or not. Either way I can install them.

EDIT: I got a copy of .185 installed. Trying it out now.
EDIT: This version does the same thing.

Last edited by craigap; 05-06-2006 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:50 PM
Sage Icon

Well, you could do what I did for well over a month and just use the Sage decoders with VMR9. Personally, I have turned the VMR9 off for now because I think Sage has a bug with handles increasing like crazy in the task manager. But, I'm not sure if the handles are really increasing or if something with java and Sage is listing them that way. My computer has not crashed but I don't like seeing 600,000 handles in the task manager so I have vmr9 turned off for now. Frankly, I don't like the transparent screen with VMR9 and prefer it the other way.

Edited: almost forgot - have you tried reinstalling the DirectX app since I think VMR9 relies on this?

Mike
Old 05-08-2006, 08:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1961
Personally, I have turned the VMR9 off for now because I think Sage has a bug with handles increasing like crazy in the task manager. But, I'm not sure if the handles are really increasing or if something with java and Sage is listing them that way. My computer has not crashed but I don't like seeing 600,000 handles in the task manager so I have vmr9 turned off for now. Frankly, I don't like the transparent screen with VMR9 and prefer it the other way.

Edited: almost forgot - have you tried reinstalling the DirectX app since I think VMR9 relies on this?

Mike
What are "handles" in the task manager?

I actually just reloaded windows and have downloaded every driver I need for my stuff. I'm gonna systematically install them to see If I'm getting problems from something else. I've been reading about people maybe having problems with Nvidia video cards/pure video DVD decoder/ and JRE.

Also, I was looking at one of the stickies about utilities to use with sage, and specifically I was looking at the wakesage utility. I noticed that those posts were from 2004. Does the new version of sage already have that. I thought I read somewhere (in the manual maybe) that it would wake up my computer from standby to record, but so far it doesn't work right. I set it up to record two shows at the same time and put my pc in standby, but when I came back my pc was out of stanby but Sage was all locked up.