SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-02-2006, 05:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

Playing DVD from DVD drive in HTPC?

I get this error when I put a DVD into the DVD drive on the HTPC?

"There was a DVD Error in playback. Details:
e.PlaybackException: ERROR (-8,0x6): There is a problem
playing the DVD content due to macrovision or CSS."

I have never gotten the DVD player working with STV, but I would like to. The DVD I put in to try was nothing special just one of the Andy Griffith DVDs.

Does anyone know what is causing this, and what to change to fix it.

Central Sage Server Win 10 64 Bit, Two HD200, Three HD300, & One PC Client 21 TB storage. SageTv 64 Bit
Old 05-02-2006, 05:57 PM
SageTVaholic

What decoders are you using?

How are you connected to the display?

Either you're not using DVD decoders that can deal with CSS, or you're using component output.

If it's the former, look at something like the nVidia DVD Decoder Bronze pack.

If the latter, there are programs out there that will let you play any DVD over component without resolution restrictions
Old 05-02-2006, 06:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89

How are you connected to the display?

Either you're not using DVD decoders that can deal with CSS, or you're using component output.

If it's the former, look at something like the nVidia DVD Decoder Bronze pack.

If the latter, there are programs out there that will let you play any DVD over component without resolution restrictions
I am using: DVD Video Renderer: Overlay & DVD decorder Filter: Nvidia, other DVD settings are all default.

I understand what you are saying on the last line, but I wonder if I have some other problem because I tried other dvds and just got a blank screen with no error message.

I am using component connections to TV.

Using SPDIF. Nvidia "Bronze: is what I am using.

Central Sage Server Win 10 64 Bit, Two HD200, Three HD300, & One PC Client 21 TB storage. SageTv 64 Bit

Last edited by Steve52; 05-02-2006 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve52
I understand what you are saying on the last line, but I wonder if I have some other problem because I tried other dvds and just got a blank screen with no error message.
I kind of doubt it, did you upgrade SageTV recently, maybe they've added an error message instead of just doing nothing.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I kind of doubt it, did you upgrade SageTV recently, maybe they've added an error message instead of just doing nothing.
Yes I just upgraded to V5. See post with another problem above. I will try your last line suggestion. Thanks!

Old 05-04-2006, 06:26 AM
Sage Aficionado

Stranger89, you were correct. Problem solved.

Old 05-06-2006, 09:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

Question

Quote:
I get this error when I put a DVD into the DVD drive on the HTPC?

"There was a DVD Error in playback. Details:
e.PlaybackException: ERROR (-8,0x6): There is a problem
playing the DVD content due to macrovision or CSS."

I have never gotten the DVD player working with STV, but I would like to. The DVD I put in to try was nothing special just one of the Andy Griffith DVDs.
Does this issue also apply if I have a DVI monitor hooked up to my HTPC? I think I'm starting to really understand the future ramifications of DRM...

Anyway, I get the same error as above, and I have basically the same software configuration.

I have an NVidia Quadro NVS 285, PureVideo Bronze, and dual DVI monitors. Do I have to resort to 3rd party products to play a DVD with my setup?
Old 05-06-2006, 09:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshields
Does this issue also apply if I have a DVI monitor hooked up to my HTPC? I think I'm starting to really understand the future ramifications of DRM...
The Macrovision problem doesn't apply, but CSS applies regardless of output.

Quote:
Anyway, I get the same error as above, and I have basically the same software configuration.

I have an NVidia Quadro NVS 285, PureVideo Bronze, and dual DVI monitors. Do I have to resort to 3rd party products to play a DVD with my setup?
Have you selected nVidia Video Decoder in the DVD page of Detailed Setup? If not, you may be using the SageTV decoders which can't handle CSS.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

Unhappy

My error code is actually different. I didn't read the original post closely enough. There is another thread here that is closer to my problem. I'm not sure how best to reference it, so here's the link: http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...&highlight=die

I get either of these 2 errors depending on what options I select:

Sage.playbackException: ERROR (-4,0x80040217)
or
Sage.playbackexception: ERROR (-1,0x0)

This last one says to reinstall DirectX. However, when I run DxDiag, it reports everything is fine. All the diagnostics I've run say my system is fine. It is a very new and clean Windows installation. In fact, my SageTV server is running on an absolutely fresh and carefully installed Win2k3 setup where the only software running is SageTV service, comskip and DirMon2.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:

...or you're using component output.

...If the latter, there are programs out there that will let you play any DVD over component without resolution restrictions
I have this issue and I'm using component. What kind of programs are out there that run in the background and just let me watch my DVD's?
Old 01-10-2007, 05:21 AM
Sage Advanced User

Any answers ??? What are the best codecs out there to watch DVD's, via component output, at high resolutions?
Old 01-10-2007, 06:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Assuming unencrypted DVDs, any codecs will work, IMO nVidia's are the best.

For encrypted DVDs, unfortunately that's not something we're allowed to discuss here.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:08 AM
Sage Aficionado

What is a encrypted DVD?

I play all sorts of DVD's in Sage, purchased and rented just using nVidia's codecs.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

All purchased and rented DVD's are encrypted with some kind of protection. I can't play any commercial DVD using STV without some "help" as stranger89 says.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:44 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
All purchased and rented DVD's are encrypted with some kind of protection. I can't play any commercial DVD using STV without some "help" as stranger89 says.

That is interesting because I'm using PureVideo Bronze, component out, stock SageTV STV, and can play any DVD in the drive with Sage. This includes encrypted and non-encrypted ones.

Is it a region thing maybe? Are you trying to play DVDs from a different region than your drive?

Just an idea,
Old 01-10-2007, 11:48 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingHDTV
That is interesting because I'm using PureVideo Bronze, component out, stock SageTV STV, and can play any DVD in the drive with Sage. This includes encrypted and non-encrypted ones.
That works for most DVDs (it's what I do), but Sony (mostly) likes to include extra, non-DVD compliant encryption on their DVDs that make them (sometimes) not work in PCs.

Also, DVD licensing restricts component output to 480p, so if you're using component and have the resolution set >480p you'll get an error there too.

There are ways around both those issues, but forum rules don't allow discusson of them.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:53 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
That works for most DVDs (it's what I do), but Sony (mostly) likes to include extra, non-DVD compliant encryption on their DVDs that make them (sometimes) not work in PCs.

Also, DVD licensing restricts component output to 480p, so if you're using component and have the resolution set >480p you'll get an error there too.

There are ways around both those issues, but forum rules don't allow discusson of them.

Yeah, I understand that, just wondering what Sage reports when you have a region mismatch. I'm able to play any DVD without issues.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:

That is part I didn't understand, I forgot about component video restriction.