SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 04-30-2006, 05:00 AM
Sage Expert

Car Media Center

So here I am wishing I had a system in my new (well new to me) 88 Mustang GT Convert. as it was Sunny and nice in Seattle the past week. But the problem with having the car I do (which btw has a wide body fiberglass wide body and lots of other mods to it so it's pretty sweet) is that I have no tunes in this ride at all while my 98 Cutlass I spent a tone of money into the system but blew up the motor a few months back and am waiting for a cheap used donor car to pop up.

So my original plan was to have a custom box built for the rear and being a convert, a lot of cutting and piping needs to be run through the back seat as the top absorbs a lot of sound. With that I am thinking of at least for now dropping my box and subs from my other car into the back seat as I am looking at thousands for custom setup for the rear.

So I was thinking OK I need a deck as I already have the speaker. But for now I don’t want to spend too much on a deck that I plan on replacing down the road with a nice DVD player and the works.

Which THAT got me thinking, why don't I buy maybe a touch screen LCD running Windows and use that for playing music, DVDs, recorded TV and whatever as this is being transferred into a show car that will be a supper car pushing at laest 500hp+ naturally, and I think on ethanol.

Anyway, I got into reading about how MSFT is like nearly completed on their CE running in a car that can handle this, TI is working on a system too that includes WiFi to sync up musc, media files and whatever.

So my question is this, does anyone know any gear that already does this? I am basically looking to sync up DRM music (Yahoo Music! subscription rocks yo!) and possible media files. I figure I could run an ITX setup and just have a long video cable up front and like a USB DVD drive mounted up front somewhere.

So what I am looking for is either a simple deck that can support DRM music, which I think isn’t out there yet, or a way to run Windows or a CE type device.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:55 AM
Sage Advanced User

http://www.mp3car.com/ has some very good resources.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:48 AM
Sage Icon

Make sure to check out the mp3 car forums. There's some straight-up gifted folks on that site.

That's where i got the idea for putting a Fujitsu 3400 in my house as a cheap wallmount tablet PC. It's $200 on eBay, and runs W2K [or XP but I wouldn't recommend that]. I actually bought mine off one of those guys.

Last edited by IVB; 04-30-2006 at 08:50 AM.