SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-25-2006, 08:33 AM

SageTV V5?

I just noticed SageTV 5 has been released. Any good? Is it a free upgrade for license holders?
Old 04-25-2006, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin@sandford
I just noticed SageTV 5 has been released. Any good?
Of course, I think it is good.

Quote:
Is it a free upgrade for license holders?
I knew that would be one of the first questions... yes, the v5 upgrade is still a free upgrade for existing license owners.

(Obviously, additional licenses for the Placeshifter or media extender clients are extra if you don't already have such a license.)

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:56 AM

Yippeee!!! My wife's out of town for a week and I couldn't figure out what-the-heck to do with myself (besides getting into some kind of trouble). But now that's all fixed... I'll be able to tinker around with v5.0, WooHoo!!
Old 04-25-2006, 09:17 AM
Sage Expert

Version 5?

Am I missing something here? What is the diffrence between version 4 (bet and what not) and 5? The only thing I am really seeing is placeshifting is in version 5 while 4 it was only in the beta version.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:17 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
... yes, the v5 upgrade is still a free upgrade for existing license owners.

(Obviously, additional licenses for the Placeshifter or media extender clients are extra if you don't already have such a license.)

- Andy
That is a great news Andy!!
Is Placeshifter also available as 15 day trial download?
R
Old 04-25-2006, 09:33 AM
Sage Aficionado

Place shifter says "Requires a high speed internet connection at home and at the remote PC for viewing". Question: How much speed is required? Sorry if it is posted somewhere and I missed it.

FYI,
My home internet connection is DSL at just over 150 up and down.

Edit:
Found it while I was waiting. "For SageTV Placeshifter: high speed internet connection (128kbps for TV playback)"

Central Sage Server Win 10 64 Bit, Two HD200, Three HD300, & One PC Client 21 TB storage. SageTv 64 Bit

Last edited by Steve52; 04-25-2006 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:58 AM
Sage Advanced User

Is there an upgrade guide to use this? I am still on Sage 2.28 (or whatever was 2 releases ago) can I just install over the old directory (I think its still Frey Technologies) if I back up those two files?
Old 04-25-2006, 10:19 AM
Sage Aficionado

Ok, installed ver 5. Not a big deal but .... The SageTV startup splash screen says Ver 4 and 'System Information' says ver 4.1.6.75.

Ken C
Old 04-25-2006, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson
Is Placeshifter also available as 15 day trial download?
I might be wrong, but I think the extenders (including the Placeshifter) have a 7 day trial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by judoGTI
Is there an upgrade guide to use this? I am still on Sage 2.28 (or whatever was 2 releases ago) can I just install over the old directory (I think its still Frey Technologies) if I back up those two files?
There is an updated manual on the download page, in the installer, and in my sig lines. Chapter 2 has a section about installing an upgrade, on p. 11. The forum has a more detailed set of steps focused on beta testers here: How to install a new version of SageTV.

The new manual has some of the v5 changes listed at the start of chapter 8. The Placeshifter is covered at the very end; Appendix N.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C
Ok, installed ver 5. Not a big deal but .... The SageTV startup splash screen says Ver 4 and 'System Information' says ver 4.1.6.75.
It shouldn't. Please check that you actually installed v5. I'm using v5 & that isn't what the splash screen or System Info screen says.

- Andy
Old 04-25-2006, 10:40 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
It shouldn't. Please check that you actually installed v5. I'm using v5 & that isn't what the splash screen or System Info screen says.

- Andy
Ok, dnloaded the file from your link, made a backup of the existing, ran the new file named 'SageTV_V5_0_1Setup.exe'. Ran the file again and the 'repair / uninstall' screen came up. Should I uninstall and install ?

Ken C
Old 04-25-2006, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C
Ok, dnloaded the file from your link, made a backup of the existing, ran the new file named 'SageTV_V5_0_1Setup.exe'. Ran the file again and the 'repair / uninstall' screen came up. Should I uninstall and install ?
I would. I don't know if the old version is still around somehow & the new one was installed into a different directory, or what happened. But, when you reinstall v5, make sure you are installing it to the same location that your previous version used.

- Andy
Old 04-25-2006, 11:22 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenixdragon
Am I missing something here? What is the diffrence between version 4 (bet and what not) and 5? The only thing I am really seeing is placeshifting is in version 5 while 4 it was only in the beta version.
All the 4.x beta versions were leading up to the 5.0 release.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:24 AM
Sage Expert

A quick question, partly because I'm too lazy to look . What version of Java does SageTV version 5 ship with?
Old 04-25-2006, 11:31 AM
Sage Icon

It's gotta be me but I always seem to have trouble finding the latest download links for working updates and betas. Please help,

Thanks
Old 04-25-2006, 11:35 AM
SageTVaholic

For releases, it's http://www.sagetv.com/download.html.

For betas, the links are in the sticky beta post (which has now been unstickied).
Old 04-25-2006, 11:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

Linux OEM upgrade?

When will Linux OEM version be upgraded to 5?
Old 04-25-2006, 11:53 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperry
A quick question, partly because I'm too lazy to look . What version of Java does SageTV version 5 ship with?
I ASSume that it is v1.5. A while ago, Narflex, I think, stated that the installers have been shipping with 1.5 for a while.

edit: Yup, Narflex posted this
FYI, Java 1.5 is now bundled with the SageTV installer (it has been for a few versions).

Last edited by ke6guj; 04-25-2006 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob
When will Linux OEM version be upgraded to 5?
We're looking to have a Beta V5 for Linux out within a week. (although it won't be that beta, it should be quite solid, it's only going to be beta because it hasn't undergone enough stress testing on that platform)
Old 04-25-2006, 01:35 PM
Sage Icon

In V5, whats new or corrected excluding PlaceShifting?