SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-21-2006, 04:39 PM
Sage User

Can't see or record pass channel 99

I was wondering why this might be? When I try to view channels after 99 it either defaults to a channel or doesn't show with anything. I have these channels on cable but it won't show on my PVR box.

Any suggestions or comments are welcomed. Thanks
Old 04-21-2006, 05:57 PM
Sage Icon

Those channels after 99, they are digital cable channels?

How are you inputting your cable signal, through the digital cable box (STB), or direct analog cable to the capture card?

If direct analog cable, then all you will get is up to 99, any more than that will require you to use the STB to input the tuned signal, and Sage will need to control the STB directly.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Mine won't tune channel 99.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:28 PM
Sage User

You'll have to excuse my for my lack of terminology but what is STB? I have a split cable connected to my pvr box. There's a cable in and cable out on my cable box which the cable out connection is split to where one goes to my pvr box. I'm using a hauppage win 150 card and I noticed there's only a cable in connection so I'm a bit confused as to how I will run a cable through my pvr to my cable box; maybe I have this totally wrong.

Thanks for your response
Old 04-21-2006, 07:52 PM
Sage Icon

STB = set top box aka cable box or digital satellite receiver.

ok, you have 2 options:

one is to run a cable split before the STB directly to the pvr-150 using the coax in. Then, you would use the internal tuner of the pvr-150 to tune the channels. However, it will only tune the analog channels, usually up to 99. You would not be able ti receive any scrambled premium channels that may reside from 1-99.

The second option is to run the cable-out from the stb into the pvr-150. Do not split that cable and try to feed the tv directly or a vcr. It will cause more problems than you want or need right now. You will then tell Sage that you have an external tuner attached to the pvr-150. It will then leave its internal tuner on channel 3, and using an IR blaster (like the one in the retail pvr-150 package or a USB-UIRT, which is a 3rd-party IR-blaster/receiver) will simulate your cable box remote and change the channels as it needs to. Since Sage will need to control the box, you can't use the STB for anything else. IF Sage is recording something and you want to watch something else and use the cable remote to change the channel, then you mess up the Sage recording.

If you hook up the STB to the PVR-150, it will take more work, but you will be able to tune in your digital channels above 99 and record any premium channels like HBO that you subscribe to. However, Sage can't order PPV's.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:59 PM
Sage User

Ok, this looks like my solution for this is to get a STB. Any recommodations on an affordable STB?
Old 04-21-2006, 08:01 PM
Sage Icon

You already have one, you said you have a cable box. That is the STB. If you need more, then contact the cable company.

edit: you do have digital cable or digital HD cable?

Last edited by ke6guj; 04-21-2006 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:41 PM
Sage User

Digital. Ive taken your suggestion to use the cable out to connect to my PVR, works like a charm. There is a down side though, I can't change channels with sage anymore. I'm checking settings and redoing my setup to no luck.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:57 PM
Sage Icon

OK, you've got the stb hooked up to Sage. Now what are you using to let Sage change the channels on the stb?

Since it doesn't look like you have/had? a remote, http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16674, I'm gonna assume that you do not have an IR blaster or receiver installed. You will need to install and setup an IR blaster so that Sage can sent a signal to the STB to change the channel.

If your pvr-150 was the retail version, it should have come with a remote and IR blaster/receiver. The other pvr-150 is the MCE (Media Center Edition) and did not come with an IR blaster/receiver or remote.. If that is the case, then you will need to supply your own IR blaster to control the STB. You might as well set up a remote at the same time, so get an IR blaster and receiver.

Others on the forum swear by the USB-UIRT, it IR blasts and receives. Then you can pick your own remote, there are many to choose from.

Sage is starting to really support the MCE remote, so you may want to look at one of those. They are priced pretty reasonable, but I don't know if the IR blaster portion is Sage supported yet.

Until you have a way to control the STB, your only real option is to run analog cable straight into the pvr-150 without any STB. YOu will only get 1-99, but sage can control the tuner card's internal tuner automatically.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:01 PM
Sage User

I have IR Blaster software installed and I was able to change channels using Sage in the previous setup. At this point my cable remote still works in changing channels
Old 04-21-2006, 09:04 PM
Sage Icon

ok, you pretty much have to 86 the cable remote, it will cause issues you don't want later on. Sage need to have complete control of the STB.

In your previous setup, Sage was changing the channels on the cable box using the IR blaster?
Old 04-21-2006, 09:06 PM
Sage User

yes, how can i get that back? I've tried every option to avoid using the cable tuner but no luck
Old 04-21-2006, 09:17 PM
Sage Icon

What I would do is run the blaster config and confirm that it can still control your STB.

Then in Sage run the setup source config. Add new source, select tuner, select input, use external cable or satellite..., then pick your tuning plugin, and then finish the wizard.

Make sure you select the correct digital programming so that all your channels appear. If you pick a "non-digital" source, the channel list will probably stop at 99.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:22 AM
Sage User

Ok, I tried the IR blaster and to no luck. I had previously thought that the IR Blaster allowed you to change channels with the card/software; seems more that I'd need a IR remote? I could be wrong but that's what it looked like I read.

I'm still unable to either disable the cable remote and/or have the software be able to navigate the channels.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:49 PM
Sage Icon

Ok, it sounds like we are gonna need more info. What pvr-150 card do you have (retail or MCE)? What IR blaster are you using? Most IR blasters are also IR receivers so you'd have the ability for a IR remote. But you don't need the remote for Sage to control the box, just the blaster.

I'm gonna be gone until this evening, so hopefully someone else will be able to help.

In the mean time, you can't disable the cable remote. It will always be able to control your cable box. You just have to stop using it.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:37 PM
Sage User

It's MCE, the IR blaster software I'm using is off the Hauppage site. I'm using Sage 2.2.8... let me know if there's any additional information you need.

PVR Box: Windows XP 1.2ghz 1g RAM
Old 04-22-2006, 05:15 PM
Sage Icon

ok, the original MCE cards did not come with any IR blaster, so if that is the case, then just running the IR blaster software would not help.

You have to have an actual piece of hardware that has an Infrared emitter that can be place in front of the cable box. I'm suprised that the blaster software even runs without something to control

Now, if you have the newer MCE package that included an MCE remote, then you should have an IR blaster. IIRC, the newest Sage 4.1 betas include native support for the MCE IR blaster. It may just be support for the IR receiver portion though.

I'd upgrade to Sage 4.1. 2.2.8 is old. There have been 2 releases since then.