SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 04-18-2006, 08:19 PM
Sage User

MVP daily hiccup

Hi All,

My MVP plays well but I have a weird problem every time i go to use it..

The mvp will work great for hours, but when I return the next day & turn the plasma screen back on, an outdated image of the sagetv main menu appears.

I then press a button on the mvp remote and the mvp reboots. Sometime it boots up, sometimes it will stall and I'll have to pull the power cord to recover.

I usually don't bother to turn off the mvp with the remote.
I have 'powered down' in the past but I seem to have even more trouble the next day this way.

Any Ideas?
Anyone else see this behavior?

the mvp was stable with mattsMVP solution.

setup consists of:
3 pcs running full sagetv 4.1.10.81
6 tuners
9 harddrives
2 TB of storage
1 mvp
all menus slow as hell but works great.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:09 AM
Sage Expert

What STV are you running on the MVP? And I assume the SAH comment is IRT the MVP? YMMV but 4.11 was an improvement for me on the MVP....
Old 04-19-2006, 08:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Do you have your MVP on the same switch/hub/router as your server? I know that technically you do not have to do this (even tho hauppauge's website states you do) and for a long time I had my server on my router and my MVP's hooked into a swich that was hooked to the router (so both were on different switches in effect). I started to notice that my router was going haywire rather frequently (and noticed when it was going haywire it was hot a heck). I began to think that maybe since my server was on the router that it might be causing the router to do more than it should so I moved my server to the basement so it could be on my gigabit switch and waaallllaaa....I haven't had any problems with restarting my MVP'S, connection issues, restarts, reloads. Everything is stable as a rock. Even my wife has said so. The last 4 days have been pure bliss (my wife began to wish we were back in the old 2.2.8 days). Just something to think about.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 04-19-2006, 08:40 AM
Sage

DEFINITELY upgrade to the latest version. There were some problems with the MVP kernel in 4.1.10 that have been resolved.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:40 AM
Sage Advanced User

Also, anytime that you restart the SageTV service on your server, or break a network connection between your MVP and server (unplug a cable or router reboots), the MVP will have to reconnect to the server.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:37 PM
Sage User

Great help guys thanks.

Slow as hell mostly refers to the amount of time it takes the menu system to respond. It's slow on the pc's and equally slow on the MVP. I've been working on that issue in a seperate thread. I don't think it's related to my MVP glitch.

all sage related hardware are on the same switch. Good advise though. I had the same issue in the past.

I will try the latest version.

thankyou.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:01 PM
Sage User

I can confirm this isssue has been fixed in the latest releaase.

thanks.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:48 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by backsix
Hi All,

setup consists of:
3 pcs running full sagetv 4.1.10.81
6 tuners
9 harddrives
2 TB of storage
1 mvp
all menus slow as hell but works great.
Off topic and not any help to you but just wanted to say- thats one hell'uv a setup. I'm impressed.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:06 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy99
Off topic and not any help to you but just wanted to say- thats one hell'uv a setup. I'm impressed.
Thanks.

One update on this issue. The 2 MVP's I'm now running work most of the time flawlessly.

The same behaivior returns if for whatever reason the main sagetv server must be rebooted. Either the MVP's freeze on an outdated screen and do not refresh until a button on MVP remote is pushed or they do not respond at all and must be power cycled.

Obviously the MVP must loose their connection to the server when the server reboots. But the MVP's never seem to time-out and attemp to reconnect to the rebooted server (even after hours or days)

I can live with it but it does suck when it happens as I sometimes must cycle the power plug to the MVP, which is mounted above a plasma screen (now inconviently)

It would be awesome if the MVP's recognized when contact was lost and rebooted instead of freezing.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:06 AM
Sage Expert

I am using one mvp myseklf and one sage server that doubles as a client. For the first time I noticed that MVP was frozen in its standby state this morning when I turned on the tv. Both My Sage server and MVP are directly connected on the router. I also have a switch provided connectivity to 2 other PCs. Should I move my MVP and Sage servver to the switch or does that not make a difference?

Last edited by roxy99; 05-21-2006 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:24 AM
Sage Expert

I have my MVP running on a wireless bridge and get the same oddities....my wired MVPs do not exhibit this behavior. However, since it only takes about 3 seconds to come back to life and works fine until left unwatched for about 30 min I don't really mind.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:27 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt
I have my MVP running on a wireless bridge and get the same oddities....my wired MVPs do not exhibit this behavior. However, since it only takes about 3 seconds to come back to life and works fine until left unwatched for about 30 min I don't really mind.
I know, so therefor its a bug but a workable one. Still, it's not supposed to do that.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:54 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
I know, so therefor its a bug but a workable one. Still, it's not supposed to do that.
Absolutely. It does need to be fixed.....I posted because I wanted folks to know that it isn't just one guy.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:16 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt
Absolutely. It does need to be fixed.....I posted because I wanted folks to know that it isn't just one guy.
I noticed that putting your Sage server in service mode makes MVP more stable. The MVP freeze only happened when Sage Server was in User interface mode (ie fully loaded).

Can someone confirm that observation?
Old 05-21-2006, 06:52 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via Yahoo to cmaffia
Running 2 MVPs and 1 client off my server. No issues with MVP and 5.02.
For me both MVP's are rock solid. In fact, my daughter has a habit of leaving the tv powered off with the channel still playing and after 10 hours I have turned the tv it still playing fine.. something I couldn't do back in the day of Matt's plugin.
Could it be a possible network issue that is causing your problems?

Quote:
I noticed that putting your Sage server in service mode makes MVP more stable. The MVP freeze only happened when Sage Server was in User interface mode (ie fully loaded).

Can someone confirm that observation?
Server: Dual Tuner: PVR-150MCE/PVR-250MCE/SageTV v5.02/Asus Pundit-R 2.4GHZ/512MB DDR RAM/250 GB Maxtor HD (8MB Buffer) External Seagate 400GB HD via USB 2.0/Onboard ATI 9100 using SVIDEO TV-Out/Nvidia DVD decoder/Actisys 200L IR Blaster (Dish receiver) USBUIRT (DirectTV receiver)/Lite-On 4X DVD-R/RW/Windows XP Pro SP2/Adesso Mini IR Keyboard w/integrated mouse/Tivo "Peanut" Remote via USBUIRT/Dish Network Model 301/DirectTV subscriber/Webserver Plugin v2.8
Old 05-21-2006, 11:11 PM
Sage User

Hi all,
Thanks for the input.

Just to clarify
1. I am running the service on the main sagetv server
2. The MVP and sagetv server are on the same switch

I don't think this is a network or service problem(both good ideas)

Before I upgraded to the current version I saw this behaivior all the time but now the MVP only hiccups when the server is rebooted.

Good to know I'm not the only one being annoyed by this.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:39 AM
Sage Expert

Send a message via Yahoo to cmaffia
Can you guys who are having problems indicate which version of SageTV you are using? When I shutdown my server both of my MVP's reboot and attempt to reconnect to the server. My SageCLient behaves the same way. When I turn the server back on and Sage loads, both MVP's say they are reconnecting to the server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backsix
Hi all,
Thanks for the input.

Just to clarify
1. I am running the service on the main sagetv server
2. The MVP and sagetv server are on the same switch

I don't think this is a network or service problem(both good ideas)

Before I upgraded to the current version I saw this behaivior all the time but now the MVP only hiccups when the server is rebooted.

Good to know I'm not the only one being annoyed by this.
Server: Dual Tuner: PVR-150MCE/PVR-250MCE/SageTV v5.02/Asus Pundit-R 2.4GHZ/512MB DDR RAM/250 GB Maxtor HD (8MB Buffer) External Seagate 400GB HD via USB 2.0/Onboard ATI 9100 using SVIDEO TV-Out/Nvidia DVD decoder/Actisys 200L IR Blaster (Dish receiver) USBUIRT (DirectTV receiver)/Lite-On 4X DVD-R/RW/Windows XP Pro SP2/Adesso Mini IR Keyboard w/integrated mouse/Tivo "Peanut" Remote via USBUIRT/Dish Network Model 301/DirectTV subscriber/Webserver Plugin v2.8
Old 05-22-2006, 11:16 AM
Sage User

I'm using 5.02

This does not happen every time the server is rebooted and I cannot reproduce the problem at will. It does happen regularly though.

I beleive it may be related to what the mvp was doing when it was left. for example was a show left playing or was playback stopped or was it just sitting on a menu. I'm trying to figure this out now.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:37 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaffia
Running 2 MVPs and 1 client off my server. No issues with MVP and 5.02.
For me both MVP's are rock solid. In fact, my daughter has a habit of leaving the tv powered off with the channel still playing and after 10 hours I have turned the tv it still playing fine.. something I couldn't do back in the day of Matt's plugin.
Could it be a possible network issue that is causing your problems?
Eg- faulty router, packet collisions, anything is possible of course. Actually you would expect that running tv on would cause less of a problem because the network feed is constant. When the network traffic is down, thats when freezes would be more likely because the network has to 'wake up' and MVP says 'you who I am here' to the router. When the Network feed is constant you don't expect problems unless someones cuts the power or a cable is disconnected.

So loosing a connection causes reboot. That should not happen. For example, as I am typing this in my Win XP system I can easily unconnect and reconnect my PC and my internet connection simply reestablishes itself.

What's better- Sage server and MVP both on a switch connected to router or Sage server & MVP directly on router? To me it should'nt matter.

PS- using version 5.0.2 of Sage.

Last edited by roxy99; 05-22-2006 at 11:47 AM.