SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-16-2006, 09:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

SageTV Menus/UI Freezing

Hello, all. I've been using SageTV for quite some time now, but in the past two or three months, I've noticed that the UI is freezing up constantly. Just moving the cursor around (via remote) from show to show is sometimes all it takes. Sometimes it happens after I've played a show, sometimes not. The only consistency I've seen is that it happens in the menus, not during playback or recording. I can quit the SageTV.exe process in task manager and then re-launch just fine.

I haven't changed anything about my setup since it was last built, but after so much freezing (this happens once or twice a day in an average of two hours of TV watching, per day) I decided just to do a clean install. I did, and the problem still exists.

I'm starting to get a little frustrated () , but I've been using SageTV for so long, I don't want to just give it up. Little help?
Old 04-16-2006, 01:54 PM
Sage

What version are you running? What are the details of your setup?
Old 04-17-2006, 10:32 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'm running version 4.1.3.67. I've got a PVR-250 and PVR-500 in the box. The addition of the 500 is the only thing that's changed in the last year, but that was added about two weeks ago while the problem has been going on for much longer. (The aforementioned rebuild occurred before the 500 was added, in fact.) Video is from an NVidia GeForceFX 5200 (S-Video out to an analog set), Processor is a 1GHz Athlon, 512MB of RAM, 120GB drive for video, and a 20GB drive for the OS.

If there are other important details that I'm leaving out, feel free to ask.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

After reading this thread, I think I may be experiencing the same problem. I don't use the "Watch now" button (I'm using malore's menus in the unsupported extras of the default STV), but the freeze almost always occurs when trying to start a show. Before I switched over to malore's menus, the freeze almost always occurred when selecting the "Watch now" button. If these aren't the same issues, they sound very similar to me.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:16 AM
Sage

Have you tried the latest beta to see if that resolves the issue?
Old 04-17-2006, 08:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

I installed the latest beta tonight at 6:30pm. My wife started watching TV around 8. We just got the first freeze at 10:20, when she was in the middle of watching a one hour show. This is the first time I've seen a freeze during video playback.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

So yeah. This is still happening. Every single day.

I'm upgrading to v.5 right now, but I'm not going into the upgrade with high hopes.

Last edited by nicktripp; 04-25-2006 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:56 PM
Sage

If you can reproduce this problem, please submit a bug report on it http://sagetv.com/bugs.html
Old 01-03-2007, 06:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

Talking

I know this thread is old, but for the record, I was finally able to resolve this issue by switching off VMR9 and going back to Overlay for video rendering. I thought I had tried this much sooner in the troubleshooting process, but apparently I had not. It took me until late October to try this (for what I thought was the second time), but since I made the switch, SageTV has been rock solid. We haven't had a single freeze or crash.