SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 04-17-2006, 07:48 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj
Studio is included in SageTV and SageTVclient and available for usage with a registered copy of Sage. See Page 6 of the Studio PDF, http://download.sage.tv/SageTVStudio_v4_UserGuide.pdf

Crtl-shift-f12 opens Studio.
What license do I buy if I want to use the latest Beta 4.1.12 with 1 MediaMVP and open Studio?
Old 04-17-2006, 07:57 PM
Sage Icon

You would need 1 registered copy of SageTV, http://store.sagetv.com/Merchant2/me...tegory_Code=SS, for the server and one copy of the Sage Extender client, http://store.sagetv.com/Merchant2/me...tegory_Code=SS, for the MVP. If you buy your MVP from Sage, the Extender license is included in the package.

With the paid copy of SageTV, you would then be able to access Studio.

Last edited by ke6guj; 04-17-2006 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugMan
What license do I buy if I want to use the latest Beta 4.1.12 with 1 MediaMVP and open Studio?
If I understand you correctly?
You can run Studio only on a computer running the server software or the client software. The MVP (STVCM - extender) licence resides on the server also but you can't use it for studio (neither through the MVP nor the placeshifter).

To use the MVP and to Program with Studio on the server you will need the SageTV Media Center (STVS - windows server) software and a Media extender licence.

If you want to program with Studio on a different (but networked) computer you can also purchase the SageTV Client (STVCS - windows client).

Hope this answers your question.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Actually, you can open Studio from a Placeshifter client or Media Extender, but the Studio window will open on the server, not on the PS client's machine nor on the MVP. This is one way to be able to open multiple studio windows on a single PC. And, if the PS client is running on the server at the time, you can see the results in the PS window.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
Actually, you can open Studio from a Placeshifter client or Media Extender, but the Studio window will open on the server, not on the PS client's machine nor on the MVP.
Thanks for the clarification Andy

I actually tried to open Studio on my placeshifter client computer earlier this week and placeshifter appeared to stop responding. I didn't think to check the server before forcing it to close. I probably would have noticed the Studio window.

Is it expected that the placeshifter would stop responding? If not, I'll retest and submit a report if I see it again.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Para
Is it expected that the placeshifter would stop responding? If not, I'll retest and submit a report if I see it again.
Well, it would stop responding during the time Studio was opening, but it should work after Studio loads.

But I better add a couple things: I'm not sure if there are still any issues when running Studio that way, and I don't believe you can open Studio from an extender type client if you are using service mode on the server -- I don't believe it could open a Studio window.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:58 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Para
If I understand you correctly?
You can run Studio only on a computer running the server software or the client software. The MVP (STVCM - extender) licence resides on the server also but you can't use it for studio (neither through the MVP nor the placeshifter).

To use the MVP and to Program with Studio on the server you will need the SageTV Media Center (STVS - windows server) software and a Media extender licence.

If you want to program with Studio on a different (but networked) computer you can also purchase the SageTV Client (STVCS - windows client).

Hope this answers your question.
I'm still learning all the buzzwords. So, let me see if I have this right before I buy; I have already downloaded and installed the beta SageTV Media Center 4.1.12 on the 15-day trial on my server and I already have an MVP hooked up to 1 TV (I only want to use 1 TV for now). I plan to do all the Studio work on my server. So, all I need is 1 SageTV license for $29.95.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:15 PM
Sage Icon

You will need the Sage Media Center license for the server, $79.95, http://store.sagetv.com/Merchant2/me...tegory_Code=SS

And then you will need 1 extender license for the MVP, $29.95, http://store.sagetv.com/Merchant2/me...tegory_Code=SS, that is, assuming that you did not buy your MVP from Sage, which includes an extender license with purchase.

That should be it.

Last edited by ke6guj; 04-18-2006 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
I don't believe you can open Studio from an extender type client if you are using service mode on the server -- I don't believe it could open a Studio window.
That would explain it since I run my server in service mode.

Locally starting studio on the server using the user interface works fine. It is just trying to start it from placeshifter that caused the problem. Looks like I'll work on studio locally, buy a client license, or look into using VNC or something else. Probably the extra client would be the best bet since it should not affect the servers user interface when I am using studio (got to keep the wife happy!).
Old 04-18-2006, 09:50 PM
Administrator

BTW: it was suggested that I try allowing the service to interact with the desktop. After starting the service w/that setting, an extender/placeshifter client can open a Studio window on the server. You have to enable that option in the Services manager -- run services.msc.

- Andy
Old 04-23-2006, 11:45 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
Well there's a lot of stuff SageTV could be programmed to do, but you have to manage scope with any project. Excessive feature creep can be the death of any software project.
Will the Studio let me program the features I want; like treat the separate VOB files in a subfolder like 1 file or, at least play them all successively without having to click on each VOB and play them 1 at a time. How low level can Studio go? I heard SageTV can interact with VB, can I use VB to program the features?
Old 04-23-2006, 12:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugMan
Will the Studio let me program the features I want; like treat the separate VOB files in a subfolder like 1 file or, at least play them all successively without having to click on each VOB and play them 1 at a time.
That should be relatively easy to do with just studio, Sage already has playlist functionality, you could just tweak the default STV to have a "play folder" function that would just add all VOBs in a folder to the playlist and play it.

Quote:
How low level can Studio go?
That's a loaded question . Short answer is probably as low as you want. Studio, is the IDE for the SageTV interface. The entire interface, and all it's look and functionality are built with Studio.

Quote:
I heard SageTV can interact with VB, can I use VB to program the features?
It can interact (via Java Native Interface) with about any language you want, VB, C, C++ for sure.
http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=14013

Of course you really shouldn't need to resort to that to just play a series of VOBs.

That (modifying an STV) is probably the way to go for an MVP, since those are a little different in how they work.