SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 05-17-2006, 01:03 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFA
Tmiranda:

I take it you're not married (long term girlfreinds don't count). Acceptabilty tolerance changes quite a bit once things are inked.

DFA

DFA,

That reminds me - my wife has been hassling me to start fishing my network wires under the drywall. She doesn't like them tucked near the wall. (I've learned to ignore it). Its a big job to conceal them , but I still prefer the reliability and speed a hard-wired network provides in spite of its higher cost.

Last edited by roxy99; 05-17-2006 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:46 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyellis
By the way,I called Hauppauge to order a wireless MVP. I asked them why it wasn't orderable from Newegg or other places. The rep said that it is available for them to order,but none have ordered any yet. So, retailers don't know about it or no demand yet...

Gary Ellis
Well they dont even have it listed on their webpage.. how come they would know ... we know because we want our HPTC to be the best.. in this case.. wireless.. My unit is schedule to be delivered on monday.. lets see how it goes
Old 05-19-2006, 07:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Mine arrived today. Looks just like the normal MVP except with a small antenna. No surprises.

Plugged it in without installing the Hauppauge "server" software and it immediately launched into its wireless setup routine. Basically it lets you choose which wireless network to use (assuming multiple are available). For each available network you can get some very basic information about the speed and quality of the connection. I have two APs in the house and it was easy to switch between them. One thing I could not find was an indicator showing how fast the connection was running. The only thing there were "bars" and some S/N ratio information indicating the strength of the signal. I guess those "in the know" can figure out from the S/N how fast the connection is, but not I

After futzing with that a while it must have "phoned home" since it suddenly informed me that a firmware update was available and I should upgrade. Hey, why not ..... Nothing like changing several things at once with a brand new gadget to help with the debugging Anyway, the firmware upgrade seemed to load fine and when completed it rebooted itself.

I poked around a bit but there was no way to get it to see my Sage server (5.01). No surprise there really, we've been warned it does not work "out of the box". Plugged in a network cable, rebooted the MVP and everything works fine with Sage.

After I was convinced the thing was working properly I unplugged the cable in order to experiment with Hauppauge's software and see how well it streamed video wirelessly. When I rebooted the MVP I received an error saying the boot failed and I needed to plug in a network cable to recover. Um...

I guess I will have to read the (flimsy) manual that came with the MVP to see what that is all about. I'll keep you posed.

Anybody have any clue when an update will be released that supports the wireless MVP? If Sage needs any Beta testers, I volunteer.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

My unit should be arriving in the mail tomorrow Ill see what I can do with it too....
Old 05-23-2006, 12:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Just spoke to Hauppauge tech support. They have no clue why I am getting the "Boot failed" error message. The solution - They are sending me a new unit. When it arrives they said do not do the firmware upgrade if prompted.

I can live with this considering it works great on the wired network and Sage still does not have wireless support. I am really curious though on how well it will stream wirelessly.

FWIW their tech support was good. The guy I spoke to went to see one of the engineers and then called me back in 15 minutes.

Jabroni - What are your experiences so far?
Old 05-23-2006, 12:36 PM
Sage

Wireless MVP support will be available today. We'll be putting out SageTV V5.0.3 Release Candidate for Windows AND Linux (well the Linux is beta).
Old 05-23-2006, 04:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex
Wireless MVP support will be available today. We'll be putting out SageTV V5.0.3 Release Candidate for Windows AND Linux (well the Linux is beta).

OMG!!!! IM SHITTING ON MY PANTS!!! GREEAT WORK
No wonder i made the right decision to take the SageTV route for my PVR needs
Old 05-23-2006, 04:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni
OMG!!!! IM SHITTING ON MY PANTS!!! GREEAT WORK
No wonder i made the right decision to take the SageTV route for my PVR needs
Ewwwww.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex
SWEEEEET!!!! Time to order a MVP (and upgrade Sage)
Old 06-06-2006, 03:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

Do we have any user reports on the wireless MVP as of Yet ?????
1 notebook 1G of RAM 1.6Ghz Windows XP Home & 2 desktops win2k P3
Orig Ver: Sage 2.2
Old 06-06-2006, 03:33 PM
Sage Fanatic

I have just setup my wireless MVP in the bedroom and have mixed results so far. Music and pictures seem fine although the interface is rather sluggish. I can play video but it breaks up horribly. I think the problem is my signal. The MVP reports 2/5 bars even though my notebook wireless-g reports a higher signal with excellent reception. I have another wireless AP that I am going to hook up with a long cable and play with how the signal changes and see if that fixes my video and sluggishness.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Mine works fine except for one thing; after a few minutes of inactivity the wireless connection drops out and the MVP reboots (Sage Logo screen) the first time a key is pressed on the remote. Setting the screensaver timeout to a low value (1 minute) helps but is not 100% effective. As long as the MVP is playing video or you are pressing keys on the remote all is well.

I'm getting 3 bars. If I move the AP closer to the MVP so that I get 4 or 5 bars the rebooting does not happen. (Too bad that puts the AP in the middle of the living room.)

Video plays flawlessly, no breaking up, no jerkiness. I use DVD Extra Long Play quality.

WAF and KAF (2 kids, 4 and 6) is very high so I can live with the occasional rebooting.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.