SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-06-2006, 09:13 AM
Sage User

No Sound after powersave wakeup

Thought this was just a fluke, but its happening everytime.

If I put Sage on standby, my computer goes to sleep after 30 minutes. i.e everything powers off entirely. Sage has the ability to wake the computer up to record the shows and it seems to do just fine.

However, if I wake the computer up, I have no sound playback. I end up having to reboot the computer, then I have sound just fine. Also, shows that record during that time *do* have sound recorded with them - I just can't hear it until I've rebooted.

I did a number of searches on the forum but am coming up empty.

I believe the soundcard is a SB Live 5.1 - however I'm just using the analog stereo out to a stereo receiver.

Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

I haven't encountered that problem but could you elaborate a little more on your issue?
1. Is your power management set to go into standby (S3) or hibernate? You might try using one over the other as drivers can behave differently.
2. Have you tried simply exiting and restarting Sage rather than doing a full reboot?
3. When your computer comes back on, do you have sound playback capability in any other software?
Sage 7.1.9, Java Java 1.7.0_75, Windows 8.1, Athlon X4 620, 4GB, Hauppauge 950Q, ATI 650HD video encoder with IR/Blaster, Radeon 5450, HDMI out, TV is primary monitor, Plex Plug-in serves up to mobile devices/PS3/WiiU just fine
Old 04-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Sage User

1. Is your power management set to go into standby (S3) or hibernate? You might try using one over the other as drivers can behave differently.

S3 - haven't tried hibernate.

2. Have you tried simply exiting and restarting Sage rather than doing a full reboot?

Yes, have to reboot to get sound back.

3. When your computer comes back on, do you have sound playback capability in any other software?

My recollection says no, it affects everything - but I can confirm tonight when I get home.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldak

S3 - haven't tried hibernate.

Yes, have to reboot to get sound back.

My recollection says no, it affects everything - but I can confirm tonight when I get home.
So based on your responses (pending your confirmation of #3), it seems more systemic than a problem with Sage.

Things to try (in order)
1. Update soundcard drivers.
2. Try enabling Hibernate under the Window Control Panel Power Management. Some PC's (and software) work better with one over the other. Hibernate is supposed to work with all PC's but I had one PC that needed a bios upgrade to resume correctly: see option 3 below). Note: unlike Standby, hibernate will use the same disk space as the size of your RAM. But that shouldn't be a big issue since if you're recording video, you must have lots of disk space.
3. Update motherboard bios.

Of course, if you check and find that you can play sound in other software packages other than Sage, then get ready to learn lots more about Sage settings/properties. Other users will have to pipe in to help with those.
Sage 7.1.9, Java Java 1.7.0_75, Windows 8.1, Athlon X4 620, 4GB, Hauppauge 950Q, ATI 650HD video encoder with IR/Blaster, Radeon 5450, HDMI out, TV is primary monitor, Plex Plug-in serves up to mobile devices/PS3/WiiU just fine
Old 04-08-2006, 09:32 PM
Sage User

The updated sound drivers did the trick!

Thought I already had the new drivers, but looks like I missed the audio ones.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.