SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-29-2006, 08:54 PM
Sage User

trying to setup usb-uirt in sage w/ my dish 301/501 remote

When I get to the screen asking to hold down the zero button, it doesn't recognize any keys. The device seemed to install ok w/ the drivers but I have no way to even know if it is working??

Any ideas appreciated.

edit:btw this is just for transmitting to control my dish box. I'm not trying to control Sage w/ the dish remote yet.

Last edited by area123; 03-29-2006 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:21 AM
Sage Aficionado

You should get a red indicator light on front of the UIRT if it is receiving signal from the remote. If your not... then I would try reinstalling UIRT in a different USB port. The DIsh remotes haven't gone to only RF have they? My 811 is still IR so I'm guessing thats not the case!

There is an .ir file around the forums for the Dish receivers. Works just fine with all the Dish receivers. If you can't find it let me know, and I can post it up again.

--Mike
Win7Pro, SageTV v6.6, SageMC, Intel E6850, 2048MB DDR2, , ATI4750, LG BR/HDVD/DVD-Rom,1xHDHR, 1xPVR-1600 (1x DirectTV , 1x Comcast Analog Cable, and 3x OTA Digital), USB-UIRT, and Harmony 300 Remote + 1 MVP Extender + 1 PC Client.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:05 AM
Sage User

Great, I'll look for that file.

I did notice that the light doesn't blink when I push 0 on either my 301 or 501 remote (basically the same except for pvr features on the 501). But if I push the tv button at the top and then push 0 it blinks but never tells me to stop like it says it should. This kind of bothers me becasue it tells me in Sat mode the 0 is not transmitting IR, so I hope this doesn't mean my reciever won't accept IR commands for channel changing functions.

Is your remote a UHF remote as well as IR? Do you know if it transmits IR when in Sat mode (by sat mode I mean the top buttons for Sat, tv,vcr,etc..)?

Great, I"ll look for that file. If it's not problem though, can you post it w/ some simple instructions, cause I haven't run across it yet and I've been reading dish posts for hours.

thanks.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:56 AM
Sage User

Well, I found a dishxxx.ir file in the /common files folder in my sagetv install. I used that file during the source setup in the wizard. It took it just fine. But it's not controlling my 301 at all.

Does the usb-uirt led flash when it sends out a command?

Does anyone have this working with a dish 301 box? Mine uses the uhf remote so maybe there is a setting in the box that tells it to use IR commands, because I think when I ordered my box I could have either an IR or uhf remote.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by area123
Well, I found a dishxxx.ir file in the /common files folder in my sagetv install. I used that file during the source setup in the wizard. It took it just fine. But it's not controlling my 301 at all.

Does the usb-uirt led flash when it sends out a command?

Does anyone have this working with a dish 301 box? Mine uses the uhf remote so maybe there is a setting in the box that tells it to use IR commands, because I think when I ordered my box I could have either an IR or uhf remote.
Try this
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...20&postcount=8

There's more threads but it looks like it should work for you.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:56 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
Try this
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...20&postcount=8

There's more threads but it looks like it should work for you.

Gerry
Thanks, I'll try that .ir file when I get home. I just figured the best one to use would be the one included with the sagtv install, but maybe not.

But, it still bothers me that I can't even learn the commands w/ my remote. Makes me think some dish recievers won't take ir commands, or that there is a setting to switch from RF to IR, or my remote is strictly for the RF reciever on the dish..

Well, setting up the IR is defintiely the most confusing part of getting this thing working. It almost makes me wish for analog cable. No, I think I'd rather go back to dish dvr than use analog cable..
Old 03-30-2006, 03:18 PM
Sage User

Ok, Now I have this posted in 4 different forums.

Over on the dish network forum somebody suggested that if I have the receiver set to a different remote address the usb-uirt might not work. Well, I did in fact set it to a different address a long time ago becasue I have two dish boxes, but I didn't think this would cause a problem with the IR because I thought I was just changing the RF frequency or something. But they say it does effect the IR address as well.

So if the usb-uirt only uses remote address 1 (I think that's what he said) then it won't work. So I just have to figure out how to change the remote address back to 1.

btw- I am pretty dissapointed with the usb-uirt in general, with it's packaging, support, etc. Mine came in a ziplock bag with a notecard that had a web address for their forums for support, which stink badly. I posted there last night in their troubleshooting forum and it has had 1 view, probably from me.

But this forum has been a big help w/ getting my system going!
Old 03-30-2006, 03:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by area123
Ok, Now I have this posted in 4 different forums.

Over on the dish network forum somebody suggested that if I have the receiver set to a different remote address the usb-uirt might not work. Well, I did in fact set it to a different address a long time ago becasue I have two dish boxes, but I didn't think this would cause a problem with the IR because I thought I was just changing the RF frequency or something. But they say it does effect the IR address as well.

So if the usb-uirt only uses remote address 1 (I think that's what he said) then it won't work. So I just have to figure out how to change the remote address back to 1.

btw- I am pretty dissapointed with the usb-uirt in general, with it's packaging, support, etc. Mine came in a ziplock bag with a notecard that had a web address for their forums for support, which stink badly. I posted there last night in their troubleshooting forum and it has had 1 view, probably from me.

But this forum has been a big help w/ getting my system going!
Set for address 1 and address 2
This is a zip for a DirectTV with 2 different addresses. Read the threads I've linked to. It sounds like it should work for either address you set. I think you're missing something. I don't have DirectTV so I can't be more help.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:25 PM
Sage User

Nothing is working, getting very frustrated. I think now that I have a bad unit because Sage is saying it failed to regognize it now. It says failed setting the infrared transmitter port

What should I expect for a device that came in a ziplock bag w/ the only documentation being a website forum printed on a notecard for support.

Last edited by area123; 03-30-2006 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Sorry its taken so long to post this... might not even be needed now.
I've attached a zip with Dish codes for remote#1 and remote#2. I know these work for almost all Dish receievers. I'm pretty sure all current receivers use the same codes. I don't know about the newer mpeg4 211/311 receivers.

You should see red lights when it is sending commands. Try either of these and see if you have any success!

--Mike

Let me know if I can help out any other way!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Dish_remote_1_and_2.zip (597 Bytes, 185 views)
Win7Pro, SageTV v6.6, SageMC, Intel E6850, 2048MB DDR2, , ATI4750, LG BR/HDVD/DVD-Rom,1xHDHR, 1xPVR-1600 (1x DirectTV , 1x Comcast Analog Cable, and 3x OTA Digital), USB-UIRT, and Harmony 300 Remote + 1 MVP Extender + 1 PC Client.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Well my usb-uirt has always worked well. Make sure you have it plugged into a USB port on your mb and not into a hub. Make sure you're holding your Direct TV remote an inch or 2 from the usb-uirt when you're teaching it. Make sure the drivers installed OK in the device manager. If all that fails it may be a defective unit.

Gerry
Old 03-31-2006, 06:54 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
Well my usb-uirt has always worked well. Make sure you have it plugged into a USB port on your mb and not into a hub. Make sure you're holding your Direct TV remote an inch or 2 from the usb-uirt when you're teaching it. Make sure the drivers installed OK in the device manager. If all that fails it may be a defective unit.

Gerry
I'm almost certain my unit is bad. I get an error that says "Failed to open Port" when I try to set it up now. But it seems to install properly, I've reinstalled it twice now. And it has never blinked when sending commands. Now it doesn't even blink when I push an IR button towards it anymore.

I think I'm going to give up on this POS and try the hauppage ir blaster.