SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-28-2006, 07:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

Are Older Sage Versions Posted Somewhere?

Are the older Sage versions posted somewhere? The newest version seems to be too much for my processor and I'd like to got back one release, is there somewhere I can download it?
Old 03-28-2006, 05:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

I installed the latest beta and now I can't even get passed the first menu. It takes about 30 seconds for the menu to fade to the selection I have the mouse on and then when I select it it just fades back the same menu....

I really need to get a past version!!
Old 03-28-2006, 07:33 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via Yahoo to cmaffia
Best off disabling Menu Transitions and you wont have that problem.
Even on my 2.8 ghz that feature can get "clunky".. you should not have to go to an old version when the current is more stable than any version in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoNP
I installed the latest beta and now I can't even get passed the first menu. It takes about 30 seconds for the menu to fade to the selection I have the mouse on and then when I select it it just fades back the same menu....

I really need to get a past version!!
Server: Dual Tuner: PVR-150MCE/PVR-250MCE/SageTV v5.02/Asus Pundit-R 2.4GHZ/512MB DDR RAM/250 GB Maxtor HD (8MB Buffer) External Seagate 400GB HD via USB 2.0/Onboard ATI 9100 using SVIDEO TV-Out/Nvidia DVD decoder/Actisys 200L IR Blaster (Dish receiver) USBUIRT (DirectTV receiver)/Lite-On 4X DVD-R/RW/Windows XP Pro SP2/Adesso Mini IR Keyboard w/integrated mouse/Tivo "Peanut" Remote via USBUIRT/Dish Network Model 301/DirectTV subscriber/Webserver Plugin v2.8
Old 03-28-2006, 07:37 PM
Sage Icon

Older versions of the files are on the server. Unfortunately, there are no direct links to the files. However, they can be accessed via "URL hacking".

For instance, the latest beta is listed as http://download.sage.tv/SageTV_V4_1_10Setup.exe . If you change the "10" in the file to a number from 4 to 9, you can get all the beta versions from 4.1.4 to 4.1.9 even though there is not direct link to those files. It also applies to the client, http://download.sage.tv/SageTVClient_V4_1_10Setup.exe .

the latest "stable" version is listed as 4.1.3, available at http://www.freytechnologies.com/download.html .

How far do you want to go back? I even found 4.0.0 via http://download.sage.tv/SageTV_V4_0_0Setup.exe and http://download.sage.tv/SageTVClient_V4_0_0Setup.exe
Old 03-28-2006, 07:39 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaffia
Best off disabling Menu Transitions and you wont have that problem.
+1 on that, I had Menu Transitions enabled for about 5 minutes. At first it looked cool, but got annoying real quick.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for. Do you know what the first stable release was? I think it was sage 4.0...I will try that!
Old 03-28-2006, 08:50 PM
Sage Icon

Well, IIRC, in the V4 world, there has only been two "stable" releases, 4.0.0 and 4.1.3, the rest have been beta releases.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:43 AM
Sage Advanced User

Here's the latest:

Thanks to the forum I went back to the same version I had been using, 4.0.0 instead of 4.1.3. It seemed to load faster and was a little bit better, but still unwatchable. I have figured it out though, should have thought of it earlier.

The reason I updated was because I reloaded everything when I came across two hard drives I figured I'd add to the system. Since I hadn't added them as import or recording destinations, I didn't see how they would effect it. So, my before system was:

Sage 4.0.0 using latest nvidia decoder
primary master: 160GB IDE maxtor partitioned into 10GB C: (programs) and 150GB D: (used for sage recordings, 64kb)
Primary slave:none
Secondary Master: Samsung DVD burner
Secondary Slave: none

Then I went to:

Sage 4.1.3 using latest nvidia decoder
primary master: 160GB IDE maxtor partitioned into 10GB C: (programs) and 150GB D: (used for sage recordings, 64kb)
Primary slave: 80GB western digital IDE partition into 64kb
Secondary Master: 160GB samsung IDE parition into 64kb
Secondary Slave: Samsung DVD burner, same as above

Which had the slowdown. Since I hadn't added the 80GB or the 160GB drive anywhere in sage or put anything on them, they are just formatted empty drives, I kind of ruled them out stupid...

After uninstalling sage and java and going back to the 4.0.0 install with a slight improvement (still horrible), I figured I would try disabling the secondary controller in the bios and see if that had an effect and it was a night and day difference. Very good performance, can't even tell it was recording two programs. So, the system at this point is:

Sage 4.0.0 using latest nvidia decoder
Primary slave: 80GB western digital IDE partition into 64kb
Secondary Master: 160GB samsung IDE parition into 64kb (disabled)
Secondary Slave: Samsung DVD burner, same as above (disabled)

I'm very interested in this issue, I think it may have something to do with having an optical and hard drive on the same controller, but I'm pretty sure my MB's controller can do independent speeds plus why would it matter anyhow when there is nothing even on that drive, no reading or writing to that drive? When I get home today I will try the secondary with just hard drive and then just optical....

Worse case I guess I'll just ditch the 80GB drive...

Any comments?
Old 03-30-2006, 07:47 AM
SageTVaholic

A hard drive and optical drive on the same channel results in the controller scaling back its performance to the optical drive speed which degrades performance for the hard drive.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:57 AM
Sage Advanced User

"A hard drive and optical drive on the same channel results in the controller scaling back its performance to the optical drive speed which degrades performance for the hard drive."

This used to be the case, but more modern chipsets support independent timings on the same channel.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confTiming-c.html

My sage computer is about as old as when this first started to occur and it is one of the things I'm checking into; however, during the problem I was not writing or reading anything to that drive or the DVD rom. It's mere presence is causing the problem....
Old 03-30-2006, 10:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Well make sure you have both devices using DMA mode. It is not possible to use PIO modes to control one device on a channel and DMA (or Ultra DMA) modes to control the other one. Do not mix devices that don't support DMA with ones that do on the same channel, if you want to use DMA. If your optical is set for PIO mode that could be the issue.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:03 AM
Sage Advanced User

I solved the issue, it was actually pretty interesting. The hard drives were always on DMA mode 4 and the CD ROM on DMA mode 2. My computer has a Intel VC820 motherboard that has 5 PCI slots and an AGP slot. My graphics card was in the AGP slot, then I had an audio card in slot 5, the capture card in slot 3, and the wireless network card in slot 2. All the IRQ assignments were automatic and it put some of the MB controllers on IRQ 9 as well as the network card. The capture card and audio card were both on IRQ 11. My MB apparently will always put slot 3 and slot 5 on the same IRQ. I noticed that as I switched the drives around, the IRQ changed and when the network card was not on IRQ 9, the performance would increase a lot. If I removed the network card the CPU usage would drop from 100% bad playback while recording 2 shows to around 30% with great playback. I found that PCI slots 3 and 5 always had to have the IRQ. As a result, I switched my network card to slot 3, the capture card to slot 2, and the sound card to slot 4. This resulted in great performance, but CPU usage is still around 70% with network card installed, still not sure why it increased it that much, no firewall or antivirus and no constant network traffic. It plays better then ever now...and I though the days of having to manual check IRQ assignments were over...

I will also add that I tried putting the CD ROM on PIO just for fun with no changes, the controller had no problem with DMA 4 to the hard drive and PIO to the CD ROM.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Good to hear you got the better performance. I had mentioned the PIO/DMA stuff because I have no idea of the age of the equipment people are using. I know some people have reused old P2 and P3 machines and may be using some of the older hardware.

Gerry