SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 03-20-2006, 09:31 PM
Sage Fanatic

HD capable extender

Hi,

Let me say that I am currently using an mvp client and am very pleased with it. It is perfect for the small SD tv in our kitchen. Had a few issues getting it to connect but nothing major. It has been working quite well for quite a while.

That said I need an HD capable extender. I do not want to build yet another pc client. I am sure lots of folks are excited by and make good use of placeshifting. I know that there have been grumblings lately about the music portion of sage and the need to improve it. Those are all great, but what I want above all that is an HD capable extender.

I do not expect it to be as cheap as the mvp. If it could play all the SD and HD recordings created by sage and my ripped dvds (with DD 5.1 for the ripped DVD's and OTA HD recordings please ) I would be more than happy to pay up. $500 to $600 would not be too much for such a device. Cheaper would be better, but even at $500 to $600 it would be a better option than a pc.

I am guessing that I am not the only person who has this on the top of his/her list. Lets here from anyone out there who has this at the top of their sage wishlist. If enough of us speak up on this perhaps the good folks at sage will move it up on the to do list. The top of the list would be great.

Anyone, anyone?

Jesse
Old 03-22-2006, 07:21 PM
Sage User

You can add me to the list of those interested. I have a dedicated PC out in my living room, and it works great, but alas, it's still a PC. I have it set to login on boot and all that, but it's not as simple or elegant as a set top box would be. It also doesn't fit in our entertainment center and because it is Windows based, it seems the next crash is always lurking just around the corner.

Having just purchased an Xbox360 and experiencing how slick the MCE interface is, I'm left wondering if the way to do this isn't for someone to make an MCE 'emulator' that talks to SageTV on the backend. With the Xbox360 costing a $299-399 depending on which package you get, and considering it supports HDTV and Ethernet right out of the box, it would be a very logical choice.

One thing I'd like to add to the list is built in Xvid, Mpeg4 and h.264 support. If we're going to ask for something that will play high-def content, let's make it so the software can play it back without a bunch of addons. Mplayer works beautifully for that purpose from what I've seen.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

I would love to see a product like this. I mean, it isn't as though we are the only ones thinking of having this, especially since things like the wireless HD D-Link device is out there. It would be great if Sage supported devices like that somehow. I mean, we know it is a lot of marketing muscle that you have to fight against MS, but it would be great if a compatibility layer was developed although knowing how MS works with "compatible" software, they will simply patch their interface even if it could be reverse engineered, and even then the reverse engineering of the interface would almost definitely need to be done by a seperate third party in proper "clean room" design fashion so that possible patent/copyright infringement didn't occur...

Well, I think I am now just wishing for something that will most likely be impossible the more I think about it.

Last edited by Fallen Kell; 03-23-2006 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

already in the works.

Quote:
The Sage TV SDTV Media Extender (AKA Sage natively running on a Media MVP) was on hand. Much to my surprise, the menus were very responsive and felt like a true Sage TV system. Getting screen captures or photos of this demonstration is somewhat pointless because all you get is a Sage UI. You have to experience the Media Extender in person. During the Media MVP discussion, Dan let it slip that they are preparing an HD extender for later this year. In the mean time, Sage Client will have to do.

http://www.htpcnews.com/main.php?id=ces_2006_2
Old 03-24-2006, 09:03 AM
Sage Fanatic

Hi,

Quote:
Dan let it slip that they are preparing an HD extender for later this year.
That is great news. I would like to respectfully request a less vague eta on this piece.

Come on guys, throw us a bone .

Opus? Narflex? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Jesse

Last edited by Jesse; 03-24-2006 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:01 PM
Sage Icon

Anyone notice the bundle that Digital Connection has with the MyHD card? They have an AvelLink DVD AVPL2 to use as a client player. Something like that would make a swell HD client with a local DVD drive no less.
https://www.digitalconnection.com/st...de=MDP130AVLP2
Old 04-15-2006, 09:04 AM
Sage Advanced User

Not even a clue as to what quarter of this year? (I'm guessing the 5th quarter... CES 2007. )