SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-15-2006, 02:54 PM
Sage User

iTunes playlists into SageTV

I'm a noob so bear with me. I'm about 20 days into SageTV and so far so good...

I would like to be able to import my iTunes playlists into STV. Is there an easy way to accomplish this?

.scott
Old 05-28-2006, 10:14 AM
Sage User

You'll need to export the playlist from iTunes but the problem is iTunes only does this in XML or a text file so you'll need an app to convert the XML/text playlist into an M3U playlist for SageTV (and pretty much every other music player).
http://chimpen.com/things/archives/001450.php
Old 05-28-2006, 05:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

the m3u file format is nothing but a text file, plain text with the path to each file on a seperate line. it can contain some comments, prefixed with a #, but not mandatory.

not knowing how itunes exports its text playlists because i dont have it installed currently, but assuming it is as described above, you could just change the extension to .m3u and sage should import it.

the way i create playlists for my albums is fairly simple, and if you had a lot of albums to do you could implement into a batch file fairly easy for automated playlist creation.

anyway, open up a cmd prompt, cd into the directory in question (the one that contains the mp3s you want to put into a playlist. then issue the command dir /s /b > playlist.m3u. a playlist will be created in the directory you are in, called "playlist.m3u". you can play around with the switches (find availble switch for the dir cmd by typing dir /? at the cmd prompt. i like to use dir /s /b /a-h also, i keep my cover art, and other things in the dir except my mp3's set +h (hidden attribute) and specifying the /a-h tells the dir command to skip over hidden files.

anyway if itunes txt playlist option spits out a text file, with a path (relative or other) to each file, where each file is on a seperate line, and thats all that is included, then just rename it to m3u and its a done deal