SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-08-2006, 10:38 PM
Sage User

Thin blue bar at bottom of recordings

Running SageTV 4.1.3 with a PVR-150 and PVR-350 connected to two DirecTV D10 receivers via S-video/composite audio.

I'm getting small think blue bar across the bottom of every recording. It shows up on all recordings regardless of where I play them back and it's definitely on the recordings because when I play back the .MPG files through Windows Media Player it still shows up.

Anyone have any ideas how to get rid of this thing?

Old 03-09-2006, 12:13 AM
Administrator

How thin a line? Does the same svideo output show the bar when the cable is connected to the TV instead? I'm just guessing, but if it is quite thin & not visible on the TV via a direct connection to the box, maybe it is in the overscan area of the video & you can try adjusting the Aspect Ratio Settings in the Detailed Setup -> Multimedia section.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:01 PM
Sage User

Would the overscan settings actually affect the recordings themselves, or just the playback of the recordings? The thin blue bar is actually recorded right along with the video in the .MPG file, and it shows up even when I play back the .MPG file using a non-Sage player like Win Media Player.

Regardless, I tried all of the aspect ratio modes and the thin blue bar remains on all. Also tried setting the vert offset in the aspect ratio settings to -10 and +10 to no help. Also tried changing the vert stretch to no help.

One thing I noticed is that the blue bar is present even when I'm changing channels and the receiver is tuning and is showing just a black screen. It's almost like it's interference or something.

Any other ideas? Thanks
Old 03-09-2006, 06:17 PM
Administrator

The overscan settings are for playback only; they don't affect the recording. I'm familiar with CC data in the overscan area at the top, but I don't know anything about such a blue line (thus my comment that I was just guessing, above).

But: changing the Aspcet Ratio Settings didn't remove or affect the blue line at all? Is the blue line really in the recording -- does it show up if you play the file on a different computer? What about if you use a different decoder or renderer on the same computer?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:35 PM
Sage User

The blue line shows up if I play a recording on any computer with any player (NVDVD, Media Player, Sage, etc.)
Old 03-09-2006, 10:18 PM
Sage Icon

it's probablt put there by your DTV receivers... My SA stb has a thick black bar on the right using any one of the 4 I have.

You can't get rid of it in the recording. You need to adjust the overscan settings so you don't see it with Sage... For other players or with sage in a window, you will not be able to stop it from playing back.

My 2 cents.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:05 AM
Sage Icon

Very strange - I can't get rid of it even when I set the overscan settings. I also believe it is from DTV but how can we get rid of it if the overscan is not working?

Mike
Old 03-10-2006, 09:11 AM
Sage Icon

The overscan setting in your display adapters driver is what I'm refering to... You can definately zoom in so that that blue bar goes off screen.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:10 PM
Sage Icon

"overscan" in Sage controls the UI, what you need to tweek is the "aspect ratio" settings.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:36 AM
Sage Icon

Okay - it seems like I can adjust it in Sage but I'm not sure if you have used Nero Showtime and how to adjust it in that. (edited: never mind: I see Nero Recode allows you to crop it out when making mp4 files).

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by mike1961; 03-11-2006 at 01:29 AM.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:12 AM
Sage User

I'm running Sage TV 4.13 and a Direct TV Huges D10 and a PVR 150 S-video setup like yours. I had the same blue line.

I set the TV (PC video driver ATI) to max overscan. I then went into sage and pulled the TV screen back in (Advanced, Video). No more line on TV normal output or recorded playback. Haven't played a recording back in Windows Media Player.

Thought it might ease your mind knowing your not the only one.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:22 AM
Sage Icon

Spring - I fixed it all too - I just set the aspect ratio settings. It's no problem in another player if I compress it to mp4 because I can crop it out.

Mike
Old 08-08-2006, 12:51 PM
Sage User

Okay, I have the same line

Sage 5, D10-100, serial control, svideo out from a PNY 6200 component out.

It's there on live and recorded shows. Any channel.

It also shows in both full screen and window, so it's definately being generated by sage or the rendering.

Has anyone discovered what is the actual cause of this yet? I don't want to start messing with the overscan since I had a really hard time getting a good resolution on my 50H82.

Thanks!

Last edited by gndprx; 08-08-2006 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gndprx
Okay, I have the same line

Sage 5, D10-100, serial control, svideo out from a PNY 6200 component out.

It's there on live and recorded shows. Any channel.

It also shows in both full screen and window, so it's definately being generated by sage or the rendering.

Has anyone discovered what is the actual cause of this yet? I don't want to start messing with the overscan since I had a really hard time getting a good resolution on my 50H82.

Thanks!
The above discussion is in disagreement with your conclusion. When you run your STB directly into the TV 4-6% of the video is going to be cutoff the screen due to overscan. So if the previous posters are correct, the blue line is always present. You just can't see it with the STB connected directly to the TV because it's in the overscanned area.

I've seen various artifacts at the top, bottom, left and right side of analog cable when the overscan was set too low. It's pretty common for an edge of a video feed to have some sort of artifacts that typically isn't viewable.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:21 PM
Sage User

My problem went away when I switched from DirecTV to Verizon FIOS. I think it is a problem specifically with the D10 receivers. I ended up just using overscan to work around the problem. I never actually found a solution. Good luck!
Old 08-08-2006, 04:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattporco
My problem went away when I switched from DirecTV to Verizon FIOS. I think it is a problem specifically with the D10 receivers. I ended up just using overscan to work around the problem. I never actually found a solution. Good luck!
It's not specific to the D10. I don't have a D10, but see the same thing when playing captured videos on a PC media player.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:50 PM
Sage Icon

it would be nice if sage was able to apply a standard cropping to get rid of this problem.