SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-07-2006, 11:28 PM
Sage User

nVidia decoder

I have a nVidia video card and I have installed the nVidia decoder as well. When using this decoder I noticed a decrease in the CPU usage (from 50% to 14-15%). But the quality of the image got worse - sometimes shaky/pixelized/unsteady - bottom line, the Hauppauge decoder delivered a better quality. I tried to access the nVidia decoder's internal settings but they were just a few. How did you get your nVidia decoders to surpass the other ones?
Thanks!

PS: The only way I could access the decoder was through Windows Media Player - with SageTV, that little nVidia icon does not appear in the taskbar
Old 03-08-2006, 02:11 AM
Sage User

Sounds like you are having a similar issue to myself. If that icon does not appear, then Sage is NOT using the NVIDIA codec - it is using something else... likely its own Sage codec. This could explain your quality problems. Try setting the codec in sage to "default" instead of "Nvidia Video Decoder" - then you should see the little icon appear (assuming Nvidia decoder is your system's default directshow codec).
Old 03-08-2006, 06:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahutch
Sounds like you are having a similar issue to myself. If that icon does not appear, then Sage is NOT using the NVIDIA codec - it is using something else...
That may well be the case, but isn't necessarily true. The Nvidia tray icon not appearing or showing up and not letting you access it when you've selected the decoder by name is pretty common.

The fact that the CPU usage dropped that much indicates that Sage is most likely using the Nvidia Decoder.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:56 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahutch
Sounds like you are having a similar issue to myself. If that icon does not appear, then Sage is NOT using the NVIDIA codec - it is using something else... likely its own Sage codec. This could explain your quality problems. Try setting the codec in sage to "default" instead of "Nvidia Video Decoder" - then you should see the little icon appear (assuming Nvidia decoder is your system's default directshow codec).
I set it to default and the little icon appears now. Also the quality of the image has improved, almost getting close to the Hauppauge driver. I guess now it's a question of tweaking the decoder. What settings do you use for:
-Display type
-De-interlace control
-Enhanced nView support