SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-01-2006, 12:41 PM
Sage Expert

HDTV card and Cable Box.

I finally have HD cable in my area, but it requires a cable box for HDTV. I want to record HD onmy SAGE Box, so I'm in the market for an upgrade. I will be getting a Avermedia A180 or FusionLite5 HDTV card.

Will they work with my cable box? Or will I have to use the darn box to select channels? I know my TV is HD ready, so I need the box to descramble the picture, but does the box pass ALL channels so a HD card can select one and descrable it? (Like standard cable TV) Are HD channales even scrambled? Is OTA a better choice then?

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:54 PM
Sage Fanatic

Those cards don't work with cable boxes - they are for OTA reception. Only way to get HD from your cable box is via Firewire.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

I know it's slightly OT, but can I use those cards to grab free-to-air digital channels on my digital cable connection?
Old 03-01-2006, 03:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

CableCARD tuners for computers will likely be introduced this fall with Windows Vista, which - I've heard - will be the first Windows to support CableCARD. When you combine the new tuner with the OS license, it might be a little expensive, but it will allow you to get your HD cable feeds without a separate converter box.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by null_pointer_us
CableCARD tuners for computers will likely be introduced this fall with Windows Vista, which - I've heard - will be the first Windows to support CableCARD. When you combine the new tuner with the OS license, it might be a little expensive, but it will allow you to get your HD cable feeds without a separate converter box.
So, are all channels on digital cable going to be scrambled, or are some of it going to be unencrypted QAM?
Old 03-02-2006, 08:12 AM
Sage Expert

I believe my cable box has a firewire output on it! Is there a card (PC HDTV card that is) that will accept a fire wire cable?

Even the the NON-HD stuff looks 5X better via the HD box, even at 480p or 480i. I'm hooked. I need to be recording these channels!

(Funny, I hated and refused to have to have a cable box for years, didn't need it, just split the cable to my tuners via an amplified splitter. I also just had BASIC cable, ch2-99. I was surprised to find that it was actually CHEAPER to get the box, go HD as well as DIGITAL on several channels not to mention all the PPV stuff, and music channels!)
Old 03-02-2006, 10:02 AM
Sage Fanatic

Take a look at the STB Firewire thread. There is no special HDTV Firewire card, all ya need is a firewire port on your computer.