SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 03-01-2006, 08:56 AM
Sage User

Question Planned wireless MVP support?

Can someone from Frey comment on whether or not the "soon to be released" wireless MVP will be supported "out of the box".

I'm hoping that they added some support for static IP addresses since I can't get the two MVPs that I currently have to acquire them on my network.

Furthermore one could dream that the mvp.bin could even be flashed to the device. Now that would eliminate some support calls.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:32 AM
Sage Fanatic

To the best of my understanding the MVP (wireless) will be supported by default by Sage as there shouldn't be any difference between them from a Sage perspective (for the most part).

As for 'flashing' the mvp.bin, that gets done anytime the MVP is power cycled. The mvp.bin has no persistant storage which is what enables Sage to boot and run 'natively' in this device to begin with.

-PGPfan
Old 03-01-2006, 01:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

I guess the question could be does the SAGE bin file for the MVP have the support built in for the wireless chipset in the new wireless unit? You could still need additional drivers in the bin image for the wireless to work.

Would this be a true statement?
Old 03-01-2006, 03:29 PM
SageTVaholic

I think, that Sage doesn't even deal with anything at that level, that's taken care of by the "OS" on the MVP. The MVP has to initialize the network device, and then connect to the boot server (SageTV) and get the application loaded (for lack of a better explanation).
Old 03-01-2006, 04:45 PM
Sage User

Well there has to be some difference between the way the "OS" for the MVP will work because I will need to be able to establish things like my SSID and WPA-PSK.

I would expect that this type of thing will need to be done like you typically would with a WAP. Meaning that you need to run a cable to it and work with a web based interface (or config app) before it will do anything useful. (Obviously speculating here)

I'm just hoping that this difference...
a) does not preclude SageTV from using the device from the get go (or ever)
b) might help me solve some of my MVP networking issues (which I would rather spend $150 to fix than doing more Ethereal trace analysis at this point)

I guess I'm just a lazy optimist.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:46 PM
Sage Expert

More importantly...will sage support the SPDIF port on the new MVP and allow us to stream DVD isos to the box?
Old 03-01-2006, 04:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kminder
Well there has to be some difference between the way the "OS" for the MVP will work because I will need to be able to establish things like my SSID and WPA-PSK.

I would expect that this type of thing will need to be done like you typically would with a WAP. Meaning that you need to run a cable to it and work with a web based interface (or config app) before it will do anything useful. (Obviously speculating here)
But the box has to boot itself and initialize the network to get the mvp.bin file, so practically, the drivers/config to setup the ethernet (or wireless) interface can't rely on the wiz.bin. That's my point, that the MVP must handle the low level network interface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt
More importantly...will sage support the SPDIF port on the new MVP and allow us to stream DVD isos to the box?
Now that, is the real question
Old 03-01-2006, 06:44 PM
Sage User

Absolutly stanger but I can just see the Hauppauge folks deciding to "build in" the mvp.bin file since they will need to have much more complex internal behavior than just BOOTP. If this is the case Sage may not be able to bootstrap its mvp.bin.

Basically I'd like to know now so that I can just bite the bullet and get my wired MVPs working.