SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-10-2003, 12:01 AM
Sage User

SageRecorder Actisys Features Not Found in SageTV??

After going through a lot of the forum postings regarding proper programming of the Actisys IR-200L, I found the posts regarding how to implement usage of an "enter" key for channel selection.

Narflex mentioned that the easiest way to do this was to use the TRIAL version of SageRecorder to create the .ir file with an "enter" button added to the list of programmed buttons.

After doing this, I am shocked at how much easier it is to quickly get the Actisys working in a reliable manner in SageRecorder vs. SageTV. Why aren't there more of these features available in SageTV by now? With talk of the release of a new core and ability to drop another app on top of SageTV to enable the full customizations of the UI, I find it odd that someone isn't going back through the two applications and ensuring that necessary features of SageRecorder aren't already inside of the SageTV code.

I think it is great that the two apps tie together so easily, sharing and understanding each other's files in such a manner, but what good is it to a non-technical user?

If someone markets a PC and ships it with SageTV as the central point of a Home Theater PC, and it is incredibly difficult if not impossible in some cases, to get SageTV to properly setup the Actisys to control their Set Top box, how can Frey expect the PC marketer to resolve these situations, which will be numerous, with their customers?

It is impossible for the seller to know exactly how to setup the system for the customer prior to their receiving the unit. The programming of the Actisys will, unfortunately, be left up to the end-user. Is it reasonable to expect them to download SageRecorder to kick-start SageTV into working properly with the Actisys? I think not.

1. SageTV should have the ability, from the setup wizard, to be told to control the box with or without an enter key during channel number entry, as well as how many digits there are in a channel selection.

2. SageTV and SageRecorder should have the ability to understand a "null" number as a leading character for numbers shorter than the max, if necessary for certain receivers.

3. SageTV should have the ability to navigate through the EPG by typing in channel numbers that have less digits than the maximum digits in a channel number...

Example: DirecTV's locals are on single and double-digit numbers on many receivers. Some of those receivers have a max of four characters for the channel numbers. In these cases, once the remote is programmed correctly to change channels, there is no way to key-in the channel number for one of the locals. To get channel "2" on the TV, you can't type "2" or "02" or "002" and follow any of those with an "enter" to get the channel. The only way to get to channel "2" is to go into the EPG and navigate to channel 2 in the EPG, then press "enter" to select that channel. At that point, SageTV sends "---2" to the receiver and it changes channels!

4. Is there an easy way to navigate quickly down to that channel "2" in the EPG, if say, I'm on channel 500? As far as I can see, you can't get there without slowly pressing the "up" on the remote until you arrive there in the EPG. That takes several minutes. What about page up and page down features? Is that possible? (I haven't tried adding those as buttons in SageRecorder yet to see what happens)

Changing channels reliably has to be a major focus of this application, both with the Actisys or with serial cable for it to be a success as a tool for someone to market it to end users on a mass scale. User-friendliness with the programming of the Actisys will be required in the long run, to maximize sales of the software.....and limit the potential support costs for everyone involved. If a seller, or Frey Technologies, has to spend half an hour or more on the phone with someone to help them set up control of a set top box, then all the profits are gone. If a seller sees this as a potential road-block, then selection of this software is not a viable option. That would be a shame, as it truly is a better product than the other guys have.