SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-25-2006, 08:08 AM

SageTV slowww after improper WinXP shutdown

Help!

My roomate blew the circuit breaker yesterday, and as a result my SageTV computer was instantly powered down. I restarted the computer, but now Sage is very slow to respond to commands. It takes 3-5 seconds to respond when I try to hit up or down on the remote to browse the main Sage menus. When I try to watch a show, it can take as long as 20-30 seconds to respond to a pause or unpause keystroke. (This is with a Firefly remote.) Sage is slow to respond to keyboard/mouse input as well: On the main menu it takes 2-5 seconds to highlight a menu option I move my mouse cursor over.

I've tried running chkdsk, using a system restore point, freeing up a bunch of hard drive space...no luck.

Athlon 2500
512MB ram
Radeon 9550
Two Hauppauge 150s
Win XP Home edition

Big thanks in advance for any help! Let me know if any more info is needed.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:24 AM
Administrator

First: buy a UPS so you have battery backup for when something like that happens again. (Some can even tell the PC to do an orderly shutdown when battery power runs low.)

Second: I'm guessing that some file(s) got a bit corrupted when the PC blacked out. Check your properties files for possible problems -- perhaps make backup copies of them, then remoev the originals + their autobackups when SageTV isn't running, then restart SageTV. You would have to reconfigure everything, but it might solve it. If that isn't it, perhaps try a new wiz.bin (or preferably: an older copy from before the PC crash so that you don't lose your recording data). But, if there is file corruption, it could be many things on the system... see my first comment.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:04 AM

Wow, I'm poking around at prices and UPS units are as cheap as $50 these days? I had no idea they had become affordable, definitely on the shopping list now.

Off to go fiddle with the properties and wiz.bin files...
Old 02-25-2006, 12:02 PM

Woo, thanks a bunch Opus, all fixed now. Looks like the properties file was the problem. Unfortunately, the backup had already been overwritten from my troubleshooting attempts, so I had to reinput everything. Luckily I had already restored the wiz.bin earlier in the day, so at least all my favorites are safe.

Now all I need to do is hide my girlfriend's hair dryer and our space heater until I can get my hands on a UPS. :)