SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 02-26-2006, 05:45 PM
Administrator

In the Placeshifter Servers Manager, there is a Settings button at the bottom of the window. In the Settings dialog, there is a Streaming tab w/several options you can set.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

germsage and place shifter

Just a note for other users of germsage.

Since it is an stv and not an stvi, when you switch over to it after installing 4.17 or 4.18, it will not show you the new media extender options under detailed setup/advanced.

I added my user names etc first and then switched to germsage. It appears to be working okay, but can not add users or see the new advanced options while in germsage. I am hoping germsage will be made an stvi so it will not have this limitation.

Anyone know how to convert it to an stvi?
Old 02-27-2006, 06:40 AM
Sage Icon

A Bit Unstable

4.1.8 is not very stable for me I'm afraid. I bought a MVP licence for Placeshifter and upgraded to 4.1.8, but the whole server seems less stable. Four reboots over the weekend, Sage just disappeared several times, and unrelated crashes (e.g. Mencoder crashes) seem to cause Sage to stop. Bizarre behaviour and no apparent pattern. I'm sure that many others aren't having these problems, so perhaps I'll try a reinstall when I can.

I'm away from home today and it looks like the server's down again, can't VNC in, with nothing recording during the day...
Old 02-27-2006, 07:02 AM
Sage Expert

Did you report the problems to through the Beta bug system? That is what beta testers are for...and looks like you found some big ones!
Old 02-27-2006, 07:09 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt
Did you report the problems to through the Beta bug system?
Nope, because I've not had the time to remove/reinstall yet. One disaster at a time! I also want to update all my drivers first, perhaps even BIOS, but that's tricky when I'm not at home...I'll probably downgrade to 4.1.6 until next Friday, when I'm back home, and I can try to break it again...

Last edited by rickgillyon; 02-27-2006 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:03 PM
Sage User

network transcoding?

Is there any way currently, or are there any plans to add the ability to designate another machine as a "network transcoder"? My SageMC Server is just a P4 1.5GHz, but I've got a P4 3.06GHz that's currently being used as a network encoder (among other things) and it would be nice to be able to use that horsepower to transcode for PlaceShifting. It seems like I saw something about this in some earlier release notes, but now I can't seem to find it.

-Mike
Old 02-27-2006, 06:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuromancer9
Is there any way currently, or are there any plans to add the ability to designate another machine as a "network transcoder"? My SageMC Server is just a P4 1.5GHz, but I've got a P4 3.06GHz that's currently being used as a network encoder (among other things) and it would be nice to be able to use that horsepower to transcode for PlaceShifting. It seems like I saw something about this in some earlier release notes, but now I can't seem to find it.

-Mike
I was actually going to ask the exact same question. :P
Old 02-27-2006, 06:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:

-Mike

I have found alot of things will work if tried, even if not advertised.

I am "planning" on trying this. I would suggest giving it a shot by installing a full sage install and then running it as a client (simple to do) as they show in the manual. Then forward the port to the new sage "client" and see if it works.

If you try, and it works, let me know!
Old 02-28-2006, 06:38 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgillyon
4.1.8 is not very stable for me I'm afraid... Four reboots over the weekend, Sage just disappeared several times, and unrelated crashes (e.g. Mencoder crashes) seem to cause Sage to stop.
Investigating this last night, it seemed to me it was related to SATA. I disabled one of my SATA drives and things now seem a lot more stable. No idea why!

Anyway, no crashes since then despite doing all my transcoding overnight, and I've even been using the Placeshifter while away from home. Picture's rubbish but it's an interesting toy!

So I once again seem to have a stable server under 4.1.8. Sorry for the false alarm.

Which version of Java does Sage recommend we use with 4.1.8?
Old 02-28-2006, 08:12 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebuilder
Hi, I am looking into buying a treo 700 phone and using it with nielm's webserver, but I would love to use it with the new place shifting.

Anyone try this out? or know if this will run on windows mobile? I just noticed the one post that has it going on a "EvDO connection from my sprint 6700 pocket pc phone"

Will that work on any mobile windows?

If not, any plans to get it to work with windows mobile with video?

verizon is at around 700k for mobile internet in atlanta, and sprint is planning a 3000k wifi internet this year for their phones are cards...
I've tried streaming over sprint's EvDO but I haven't tried it with my treo 700 yet. It should work the same as both verizon and sprint are using the same hardware for EvDO. My next adventure is to try to get the placeshifting client working on my windows mobile devices. My jasjar came with JVM installed so I'll start with that. As far as using the data connection, any EvDO cabable handset should do as long as you can connect it to your pc/laptop.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:16 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_kid
I've tried streaming over sprint's EvDO but I haven't tried it with my treo 700 yet. It should work the same as both verizon and sprint are using the same hardware for EvDO. My next adventure is to try to get the placeshifting client working on my windows mobile devices. My jasjar came with JVM installed so I'll start with that. As far as using the data connection, any EvDO cabable handset should do as long as you can connect it to your pc/laptop.
Eric,

You said you were watching on a pocket PC? I have tried on my Dell Axim X30 and can never get anything with java to work. Did I miss a download somewhere?
Old 02-28-2006, 09:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

Placeshift VOB support

This seems to be the placeshifting thread... or near enuff... is Sage planning on releasing placeshift support for Ripped DVDs. I ask because if they are NOT, then I would consider re-encoding my library. Is there a technical problem with getting ffmpeg decode this format? Or is it more of a copyright concern? I guess this question is mostly for Jeff....
Old 02-28-2006, 09:39 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:

-Mike
I've asked for this several times (since the MVP transcoding was announced), and still no word from Sage about it. It'd make sense in my opinion to allow you to offload the transcoding to another machine. Especially if you already have a license being used for a network encoder. The way my systems at home are configured, I could easlily transcode on one of my TV PC's, as it's already got a server license running only as a client at the moment.

I'm going to bet the problem currently doing this is licensing, the 2nd server woudln't know the licenses the main server has installed.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:12 AM
Sage User

Quote:
I have found alot of things will work if tried, even if not advertised.

I am "planning" on trying this. I would suggest giving it a shot by installing a full sage install and then running it as a client (simple to do) as they show in the manual. Then forward the port to the new sage "client" and see if it works.

If you try, and it works, let me know!
Well, I started to try this last night but apparently was too sleep deprived to figure out how to properly set up a full Sage install and run it as a client only. I looked in the manual, but didn't see what I needed. Can someone point me to a thread or document that would tell me how to do this? Thanks!

-Mike
Old 02-28-2006, 10:16 AM
Sage User

Cool

Quote:
Well, I started to try this last night but apparently was too sleep deprived to figure out how to properly set up a full Sage install and run it as a client only. I looked in the manual, but didn't see what I needed. Can someone point me to a thread or document that would tell me how to do this? Thanks!

-Mike
To clarify, I assume you mean more than installing SageMC and NOT running it in service mode, right? I tried that, but for some reason couldn't get it to see my recording dirs on the real Sage machine - seems like it's using it's own local DB rather than accessing the main SageMC machine's DB. Also, I would still want this machine to be a network encoder, and I wasn't sure how to get the other SageMC to recognize this SageMC installation as a network encoder too, as opposed to the instance of SageRecorder I was running there...

-Mike
Old 02-28-2006, 10:21 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by srothwell
Eric,

You said you were watching on a pocket PC? I have tried on my Dell Axim X30 and can never get anything with java to work. Did I miss a download somewhere?
No i'm not watching on the pocket pc, I'm using my pocket pc device to connect my laptop to sprint's data network. I haven't tried loading the client on my device yet but I'm going to give it a try.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:23 AM
Sage Advanced User

It seems that I'm having the 100% usage as well. I tried watching a show on the mvp ealier and it locked up everytime. I'm going to revert back to 4.17.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:01 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Just a note for other users of germsage.

Since it is an stv and not an stvi, when you switch over to it after installing 4.17 or 4.18, it will not show you the new media extender options under detailed setup/advanced.

I added my user names etc first and then switched to germsage. It appears to be working okay, but can not add users or see the new advanced options while in germsage. I am hoping germsage will be made an stvi so it will not have this limitation.

Anyone know how to convert it to an stvi?
I *think* it would need to be offered in an .xml format. The options don't show up with Sage's .stv either, just Sage's .xml.

P
Old 02-28-2006, 12:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

About every second boot of the mvp I have the green screen problem, where the screen shows only green once a show is playing (with sound working). I never had it before, it only started with 4.1.8.

Is anybody else seeing this?

Marneb
Old 02-28-2006, 12:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by srothwell
Eric,

I'm streaming to my Sprint PPC-6700 using Neilm's web server and previously encoded WMV's. I use Windows Media Encoder to create WMV's at 100Kbps. I using TCPMP player to view the streamed files. With a EV-DO connection it works great.

If Placeshifting could get me the full sage interface and view my shows on that platform I'd be excited.

My Sage server H/W does have the horsepower to on-the-fly transcode. I'd settle for manually creating the WMV files if the Placeshifting would let me select the file and stream it.